The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM

hope you both fair well.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Sorry about the ear infection. They are awful. I have had ear and sinus infections my whole life and been through a few rounds of surgery. During that period of time, my ears and hearing would vacillate somewhat wildly. I sold many guitars and gear out of frustration only to realize later it was me and not the instrument.

Now, whenever I get an impulsive frustration with my gear I must remember to check my hearing health first. It’s not always easy to remember because the changes sometimes come on so slowly you don’t notice until it’s drastic.

I just lost quite a bit of money selling and rebuying the same (and similar) HD-28E Retro model in a three month period. I learned a few weeks ago it was a hearing issue yet again. Very frustrating.

I’m just a couple of years into the hearing loss thing. I have only one good ear to start with, so any fluctuations in that ear make all the difference. Yes, this time it snuck up on me.

The main factor on this occasion was that I had a ground loop from using grounds on both the EAE and the S1 and a guitar cable between them. For some reason, my ears weren’t really noticing the hum but instead focused in on the intermodulation between it and the lowest note on my guitar. I can recreate the effect on the D6-8 now that I know what is going on.

In any case, I take back my complaint about the S1 buzzing on Lee lowest notes. It was just replicating the buzzing that I was accidentally sending it. It really is a very nice speaker, and I’m going to keep mine.

Audio quality has always been important to me, but now that my hearing is damaged, it’s even more important. When the sound is really great, I can still get carried away by the music. When it’s off, it completely throws me.

That’s why I am so into these little speakers (both the EAE and the S1). Very high quality sound at low volumes is exactly what I need right now.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
In any case, I take back my complaint about the S1 buzzing on lowest notes. It was just replicating the buzzing that I was accidentally sending it. It really is a very nice speaker, and I’m going to keep mine.
Sorry about your ear health...I hope you feel better

On the other hand...
Great to "hear" that you resolved any issue with the S1.

When I read your post last night.. I tried to replicate and could not. So glad for you.

Quote:
When the sound is really great, I can still get carried away by the music. When it’s off, it completely throws me.

That’s why I am so into these little speakers (both the EAE and the S1).
Very high quality sound at low volumes is exactly what I need right now
The same way I feel exactly.....
Old 01-31-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I’m just a couple of years into the hearing loss thing.
Audio quality has always been important to me, but now that my hearing is damaged, it’s even more important. When the sound is really great, I can still get carried away by the music. When it’s off, it completely throws me.

That’s why I am so into these little speakers (both the EAE and the S1). Very high quality sound at low volumes is exactly what I need right now.
I could have written this post myself. I feel you brother. :-)
Old 01-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

There is something to be said for what Bose has done for the solo player: before getting the L1C, I lugged around a Peavey PA that had cabinets on stands with a 15 and a horn. A true beast from my rock 'n roll days. It took some time with the Compact to get comfortable with the idea that you could "cover" a room without blasting it. My ears and my back thanked me.

Using the Bose, I can see people in the crowd able to talk without hollering at close range. I don't finish with ringing ears. One trip in/out with a rolling cart.

I have tried smaller solutions since getting the L1C, but nothing was as satisfying... I can see where the S1 has promise... and, easy on the back and the ears.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:25 PM

I think we could come up with a pretty solid rule of thumb on the S1 vs the L1C. Something like: if you are going up to 1 o’clock or less on the L1C, the S1 will work. Beyond that, use the L1C. I don’t have an L1C anymore so I don’t know what that cutoff point would be. One of you with both could fill it in.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Thread closed

Hey guys! This has been a very informative thread and I’m sure there’s a lot more to be discussed about it, but in case you didn’t know, the forum has a 300 post limit for any one thread.

So, I’m closing this one. Marty C, as the OP, if you want to start part 2, go ahead, and let me know and I'll be glad to link it here so the discussion can carry on.

Thanks for your understanding.

The mods.

Link to part II: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=498660

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-01-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification