The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-08-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Building a Warmoth Les Paul

Some of you might remember my custom guitar thread I started a few weeks ago. I've been thinking lately that it would be fun and cool to put together a Warmoth Les Paul. Problem is, I don't know much about electrics or how to work on guitars. I've been trying to figure out if someone with almost no experience building guitars can put together one using Warmoth parts. If it's not possible then I'll have to have someone do it for me. Basically I'm trying to get a good total estimate on how much this would all cost (parts and labor). So far my estimate has been about $1200 which includes all the body, options, and most of the hardware I think I need. All the prices except for the Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups are from the Warmoth site. I would really like to make a Warmoth guitar but only if it's not too expensive. If any of you can help do that I would really appreciate it!

Intervarsity
Old 06-09-2006, 09:25 AM
.tom the übergeek

You can get a fully completed Les Paul Style in something like the ESP LTD EC-1000 for far less and have a way better guitar.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Yeah but it wouldn't be nearly as fun! Go for it, you wont regret it

My Warmoth Tele
Old 06-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Rick thanks for the link! Just to let you know, on your site the ReRanch link is broken. I found one that worked on Google though. Anyone know if wiring and installing hardware is difficult or not?

Intervarsity
Old 06-10-2006, 04:42 AM

Thanks Jeremy, yeah I put that site together a couple of years ago and reranch has since changed to another server, just never got around to fixing it.

Wiring is not as difficult as you would think, there are tons of resources on the internet to help you out ,one of them being the Reranch site, those folks are very helpful and lots of nice people, a lot like this forum

Good Luck
Old 06-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen
You can get a fully completed Les Paul Style in something like the ESP LTD EC-1000 for far less and have a way better guitar.
Wow, I really disagree on this one... if you put in the work. Yes, it's more expensive, but the quality is really, really good... and their finishes are done well, too (I've done it both ways and would def have them do it if I wanted the looks). The Warmoth Strat I made was far and away the best Strat I've owned or played. It was a real loss to sell... stupid me. I currently have a Warmoth VW... and my only mistake was getting a compound radius neck, which I will correct at some point.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 06-12-2006, 04:37 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackg20
Problem is, I don't know much about electrics or how to work on guitars. I've been trying to figure out if someone with almost no experience building guitars can put together one using Warmoth parts.
Well, first off, it is not impossible. However, I would suggest that you have some experience with electrics as far as general set up, and replacing hardware. The strat I built I had a luthier friend of mine wire. As Wade mentioned it is the best strat I have ever owned.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM
AGF Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Thurman
Wow, I really disagree on this one... if you put in the work. Yes, it's more expensive, but the quality is really, really good... and their finishes are done well, too (I've done it both ways and would def have them do it if I wanted the looks). The Warmoth Strat I made was far and away the best Strat I've owned or played. It was a real loss to sell... stupid me. I currently have a Warmoth VW... and my only mistake was getting a compound radius neck, which I will correct at some point.
I second this sentiment!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:40 PM

A Strat is a totally different instrument than a Les Paul. I think if you are planning to spend that much on a Paul, your money would be better spent on a Studio, Classic, Epiphone Elitist, or other clone. No matter how good you make it, it's going to be a home-built guitar, and worth but a fraction of what you'll pay for it.

Just my two cents.

Bill
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 PM

I think it would be fun to build a guitar from a kit, though it will probably be more expensive. I know if I had the experience in wood, mechanical, and electrical work, I wouldn't mind in trying to build a guitar.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification