The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2021, 04:59 PM

Default Basic ToneDexter Question

Hello AGF people,

I have a simple question about the ToneDexter, my apologies if this is too basic or if I’m over thinking this. Here it goes:

According to the manual, after completing the learning phase, the Boost switch toggles you between M (mic), Bypass pickup (P), and WaveMap (T).

What’s the difference between the Mic and WaveMap sound? Isn’t the WaveMap trying to reproduce the Mic sound, so they should be the same?

I appreciate any clarification or explanation!
Old 05-22-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcahill View Post
Hello AGF people,

I have a simple question about the ToneDexter, my apologies if this is too basic or if I’m over thinking this. Here it goes:

According to the manual, after completing the learning phase, the Boost switch toggles you between M (mic), Bypass pickup (P), and WaveMap (T).

What’s the difference between the Mic and WaveMap sound? Isn’t the WaveMap trying to reproduce the Mic sound, so they should be the same?

In that mode, you get to hear the actual mic (M) the raw pickup (P) and what ToneDexter has learned from the training process, the wavemap (T). It will never be exactly the same as the mic, just close. This lets you compare how close. ToneDexter doesn't "reproduce" the mic, it learns the difference between the mic and the pickup and creates a filter that it applies to the pickup to make the pickup sound closer to the mic. So when you're listening to the Wavemap, you're hearing your pickup, transformed - you could think of it as a very smart EQ.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Also, the mic can pick up extraneous sound that will not be included in the training process -
Old 05-23-2021, 04:41 AM

Thank you for this explanation, makes sense now!
Old 05-23-2021, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcahill View Post

Thats the idea, yes, and toggling allows a quick “A-B” comparison. Even if not identical, you may find some very pleasing results.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-23-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Thats the idea, yes, and toggling allows a quick “A-B” comparison. Even if not identical, you may find some very pleasing results.
Hi all…

What 'he' (dnf777777777) said…

Very pleasing results.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification