The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

When I think blues I think of BB King and Lucille. I believe it was a Gibson ES 335
But I am a strat fan, so that would also be at the top of my list.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 AM

When I think of blues I think Strat and Les Paul. It's great to get the diversity of tones from those two guitars and from the heros that play them.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:44 AM

no one guitar-tele, strat, 335, les paul, es125, and es5, just to name the ones that popped out

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 AM

The beauty of blues is that you can play it on almost anything. My current favorite is a Taylor T3. Next week it might be a strat or a Gretsch. Maybe acoustic next month. It is about emotion and feel, not the guitar.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Albert King and his Flying V.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM

Probably a stratocaster, but bluegrass is sort of uniquely tied to specific instrumentation; not only is the traditional line up bass, guitar, mandolin, banjo and fiddle (and ocasionally dobro) pretty much set, those are often the only instruments "allowed." To take it a step further, not just any instrument will do, Kay basses, Martin dreads (especially D-28), Gibson F-5 mandolins, and Gibson banjos are THE tone everyone playing those instruments is chasing.

Blues, and indeed most musical genres, allow for a greater range of acceptable tones. Part of what annoys me about bluegrass (and I play a lot of it), is that it almost becomes musical cosplay. I enjoy stepping into other genres where a wider tonal palette is not just acceptable, but expected.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Probably a stratocaster, but bluegrass is sort of uniquely tied to specific instrumentation; not only is the traditional line up bass, guitar, mandolin, banjo and fiddle (and ocasionally dobro) pretty much set, those are often the only instruments "allowed." To take it a step further, not just any instrument will do, Kay basses, Martin dreads (especially D-28), Gibson F-5 mandolins, and Gibson banjos are THE tone everyone playing those instruments is chasing.

Blues, and indeed most musical genres, allow for a greater range of acceptable tones. Part of what annoys me about bluegrass (and I play a lot of it), is that it almost becomes musical cosplay. I enjoy stepping into other genres where a wider tonal palette is not just acceptable, but expected.
i love bluegrass too, but i agree with your comments about it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-25-2016, 03:17 PM

Lonnie Johnson played a Kay semi-acoustic for the last decade or so. My blues special is a 1962 Gibson Melody Maker. I'm in that camp that says if you play blues on it, it's a blues guitar. They all sound great!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

The ES 335 is the quintessential blues guitar for me, followed by the Les Paul and Strat tied for second.

I've never thought of the Tele as being much of a blues guitar. It seems almost fashionable these days to talk about the "versatility" of the Tele...but I think the Strat is a much more versatile guitar. I own, and like, both....but the Tele for blues is a square peg in a round hole. Just my opinion, with which many would disagree.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:40 PM

I believe that any guitar that is in good operating order (good setup, strings, and pickups) is fine for the blues. It has more to do with the person playing the guitar than the guitar itself. I would sound mediocre playing the blues on any guitar, but any great guitarist will still sound great no matter what brand guitar he plays.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdansti View Post
I believe that any guitar that is in good operating order (good setup, strings, and pickups) is fine for the blues. It has more to do with the person playing the guitar than the guitar itself. I would sound mediocre playing the blues on any guitar, but any great guitarist will still sound great no matter what brand guitar he plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
The beauty of blues is that you can play it on almost anything. My current favorite is a Taylor T3. Next week it might be a strat or a Gretsch. Maybe acoustic next month. It is about emotion and feel, not the guitar.
Thank you both for saying what I've often thought when reading some of these type of threads....."what kind of guitar for......"
Old 05-25-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
The ES 335 is the quintessential blues guitar for me, followed by the Les Paul and Strat tied for second.

I've never thought of the Tele as being much of a blues guitar. It seems almost fashionable these days to talk about the "versatility" of the Tele...but I think the Strat is a much more versatile guitar. I own, and like, both....but the Tele for blues is a square peg in a round hole. Just my opinion, with which many would disagree.
The Tele has 3 basic tones. The strat has 5. Way too much amazing blues was, and continues to be done on the tele to even begin to suggest it doesn't fit in the "blues" hole.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I understand that pretty much any guitar can play the blues. I also realize that it's more player than guitar. This isn't a "which guitar is best for" thread. I was simply wondering what you picture in your mind when you think of the blues?

Todd
Old 05-26-2016, 01:10 AM

Something hollow, preferably bought from a pawn shop in Memphis. Harmony, Stella, Silvertone or Guild, Fender or Gibson at a push. Definitely not a Parker Fly or a PRS or anything overly pointy (unless you're T-Model Ford).

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:15 AM

I like but don't love the sound of the typical blues Strat. (Although I must admit I really like Robert Cray's clean hard tail Strat sound.)

But the most beautiful blues guitar sound to me is what Sean Costello got out of his '53 Les Paul on the "Moaning for Molasses" album. That is pure bliss to my ears.
Epiphone Dot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars