The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Fazool, I posted this a long time ago but here it is again, my SB2. -- Darwin

Old 05-19-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I think it would be interesting to see a comparison between the market conditions and Taylor's entry strategy, in their early days that resulted in them being a major player in acoustics. Then, it'd be interesting to see how that contrasts with the attempts at electrics and hybrids, which have either dropped off the earth or seriously under-performed. Maybe someone on the board has such knowledge.
It's probably more a perception thing. I will NEVER buy a Fender Acoustic... I'm sure there's a sizable part of the population that would have the same issue with a Taylor electric, or a PRS acoustic. Not saying it's fair. But life isn't.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I had a Taylor SB with the mini-hums, with the Walnut finish. That guitar sounded amazing, and the body fit me very well. I was unable to bond at all with the neck. I was so disappointed! From a tonal perspective, it was crisp, clean, punchy....really everything I wanted at the time. The flatter radius and neck width just hurt my hand. Oh well, glad you're getting one and hope you love it!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-21-2016, 06:38 AM

I had major GAS for an SB1. I especially loved how they had a 2 hum bucker guitar that utilized a 5 way and a different wiring. I ended up with a T5 and 2 T3/Bs thinking that Taylor would discontinue all of them.

The very flat radius works perfect for my hands, but I can see how it might not work well for others. I ended up trading my T5 for a BTO dread the other day, but the T3/Bs are staying with me.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Daughter is home all day today so she will be keeing watch for me

Quote:
On Vehicle for Delivery Today
Scheduled Delivery:
Monday, 05/23/2016, By End of Day
Last Location:
Buffalo, NY, United States, Monday, 05/23/2016

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaking as the owner of an '07 first-run Custom Solidbody, I'll agree that they're fantastic - if idiosyncratic - instruments; their Achilles' heel, however, is the press-molded powdered-aluminum bridge assembly on the hardtail models. Presumably conceived and developed in the interest of extending the characteristic Taylor treble response to the electric arena, it's a real bear to set up as well as extremely fragile; in my first three years of ownership I broke two of them in the course of routine adjustments (yeah, I read the manuals and have 50 years of experience under my belt), and the factory-authorized tech who installed the second informed me that I had gotten the absolute last one in factory inventory - one of the principal reasons, I strongly suspect, for their grossly undervalued status on the market, and something I'd recommend you seriously consider before you decide to keep your most recent acquisition. I also suspect that had they adopted a more conventional setup along the lines of the T3, they'd still be in the lineup; oh, well - you live, you learn...
Yes I can see that - I read the instructions and they were repeatedly explicit about not over-tightening (even saying you can break the bridge).

I read online of one other that broke. I was keeping my eyes open for spare parts (pickguard, bridge etc.) but there are so many on the market, my strategy now is to simply watch the market and if the supply starts going down, I'll buy a "spare" or if I find another one ridiculously cheap I will buy a spare now. I simply love this thing. Maybe the "spare" I buy will have the tremolo.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Fazool, I posted this a long time ago but here it is again, my SB2. -- Darwin

Darwin,

I'm trying to understand the back cover differences.

The single cut SB1 stoptail models have a tiny cover on the back, your model has a large cover on the back (the one in the center not the one for the knobs).

I assume it gives acces to the bridge and pickups but I'm most curious about the tremolo mounting - is it mounted just like the stoptail or is there something else going on under there?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaking as the owner of an '07 first-run Custom Solidbody, I'll agree that they're fantastic - if idiosyncratic - instruments; their Achilles' heel, however, is the press-molded powdered-aluminum bridge assembly on the hardtail models. Presumably conceived and developed in the interest of extending the characteristic Taylor treble response to the electric arena, it's a real bear to set up as well as extremely fragile; in my first three years of ownership I broke two of them in the course of routine adjustments (yeah, I read the manuals and have 50 years of experience under my belt), and the factory-authorized tech who installed the second informed me that I had gotten the absolute last one in factory inventory - one of the principal reasons, I strongly suspect, for their grossly undervalued status on the market, and something I'd recommend you seriously consider before you decide to keep your most recent acquisition. I also suspect that had they adopted a more conventional setup along the lines of the T3, they'd still be in the lineup; oh, well - you live, you learn...

I saw this one for sale at GC online. This is a good example of a guitar that can't be saved if there are no replacement parts available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2114.jpg (34.3 KB, 31 views)

Old 06-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Good example indeed, and the very reason that, as slick-playing/fine-sounding/just plain gorgeous as mine is (got a really sweet crotch-figure walnut top) it'll be spending more case time than not, in favor of something(s) more conventional and easily repaired; BTW, here's my latest acquisition:

Sounds as good or better than the MIJ Professional Series Gretsch models at three (or more) times the price, plays/handles like my gennie Brooklyn '64 Double Annie (albeit somewhat heavier on the strap thanks to the center-block construction), and if anything goes south both OEM and aftermarket drop-in parts are readily available...
Old 06-03-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I saw this one for sale at GC online. This is a good example of a guitar that can't be saved if there are no replacement parts available.
Guitars can always be saved. Unless it's a piezo system you don't have to stick with the same bridge saddle system. Regardless of the finish on the guitar or the shape of the current bridge/saddle, a replacement can always be installed well. On the blue guitar pictured in this thread a smaller one piece bridge with a tasteful ebony inlay to echo the pickup rings and cover unfinished areas would be my choice. A hamer sustain block or a G&L saddle lock would be a great choice for a stoptail, or a floyd rose, either floating, or my preferred arrangement, flush mounted can be installed to replace the trem style.

Nothing is impossible.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Guitars can always be saved. Unless it's a piezo system you don't have to stick with the same bridge saddle system. Regardless of the finish on the guitar or the shape of the current bridge/saddle, a replacement can always be installed well. On the blue guitar pictured in this thread a smaller one piece bridge with a tasteful ebony inlay to echo the pickup rings and cover unfinished areas would be my choice. A hamer sustain block or a G&L saddle lock would be a great choice for a stoptail, or a floyd rose, either floating, or my preferred arrangement, flush mounted can be installed to replace the trem style.

Nothing is impossible.
Of course - that's sort of my attitude - I mean it can't be restored to original condition. It can always become a FrankenTaylor

Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 AM

Not as easy as you think, fellas - there's some very unusual routing in the bridge area radiating in all directions (particularly on the flametop/walnut/koa models), that would necessitate an extensive, weight-adding, tone-altering, and IMO very pricey rebuild; whether it's all worth it is up to you, but just based on an eyeball estimate and 53 years of experience I could probably have a new Gibson Faded SG Special (with the similar Firebird PU's) for about the same money...
Old 06-04-2016, 05:33 AM

The lack of support for the sketchy bridge is a little disappointing. It seems that Taylor generally operates better than that. Hopefully they continue to support the T3 series since I'm keeping those for life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars