The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Default SWR: California Blonde vs SWR Strawberry Blonde?

SWR AMPS: California Blonde vs Strawberry Blonde

California Blonde and the Strawberry Blonde amp. One of the two amplifiers (as I recall) was much more sought after by acoustic guitar players than the other.

I realize everyone may not agree on the answer, but hopefully I’ll gain some good insights!

Does anyone know

1) Which of the two amps California Blonde and the strawberry Blonde amp both made by SWR, which is the one most or more coveted by Acoustic Guitar players?

2) Do you know the reason that the most coveted one is that way? What makes it more desirable for the acoustic player than the other?

Thank you,

BK
Old 04-28-2015, 02:36 PM

The Cali Blonde is most coveted.

Jackson Browne uses one...not that that makes it coveted but Jackson does have great taste in gear.

I have one two. It's both my gigging PA and my acoustic guitar amp.

Only complaint I have is that the reverb gave out in mine. That's OK though: the TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal I plug into it sounds better anyway.

One thing the Cali Blonde has going for it, if it's old enough, is a Made In England Celestion 12" speaker and Celestion tweeter.

I tend to love most Celestions...for both acoustic playing and for rocking out with a Marshall or Fender amp.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM

They were both very good amps.

The California Blonde is the probably the model that you're trying to identify, since it was the more robust of the two.

If you are looking for a California Blonde, the models with a tweeter and HF crossover are much more highly regarded than the ones with the piezo and no HF crossover.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Default Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
They were both very good amps.

The California Blonde is the probably the model that you're trying to identify, since it was the more robust of the two.

If you are looking for a California Blonde, the models with a tweeter and HF crossover are much more highly regarded than the ones with the piezo and no HF crossover.

Excellent, Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the insights.

AGF folks are the best!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 PM

I have one and the extension speaker too. Like other have said it's a very good amp, the reverb not so good, but it does have an fx loop so you can run your own. It has lots of power. I think swr went out of business, why I can't tell you.

Addison
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 PM

I have the Strawberry Blond and it is the best sounding acoustic amp I've ever heard.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addisonbrady View Post
I have one and the extension speaker too. Like other have said it's a very good amp, the reverb not so good, but it does have an fx loop so you can run your own. It has lots of power. I think swr went out of business, why I can't tell you.

Addison
I agree about the reverb. It's why I use a TC Hall of Fame reverb in the effects loop of mine.

The more highly regarded Cali Blondes were made in the USA, not Mexico, and use a Celection 12, a Celestion tweeter and a real crossover.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 PM

I've had a CaliBlonde for maybe fifteen years, bought it new, used it some but not much, although I've always really liked it, and had it once or twice at a guitar show to sell when I was getting rid of some unused gear. I think the lowest price I ever had on it was $400 and it never did sell, and I couldn't bear to drop the price any more, and now I'm glad I never did. Don't use it at all right now, but it will make a great little solo back-up PA for me if I ever need one, and it's a great little bass amp too in a pinch. They're built like tanks, though, that's for sure...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM

After playing a boatload of acoustic amps over the course of a year, I narrowed the choice down to the California Blonde (US made) as my first acoustic amp. I liked the way my Taylors sounded through it. I was looking for a clean sound so the reverb did not factor into my decision. I liked the Cali Blonde so much that a few months later I also purchased the Strawberry Blonde. Over the years I found the weight of the Cali becoming an issue for load in/out for gigs. Eventually I sold it and kept the Strawberry Blonde, which is still heavy but less stress on the back. If you have never played the California Blonde and don't do an A/B test of the two you would probably choose the Strawberry on its own. It has the tone I like and the guitars don't sound hallow or boxy. It handles my T-5 extremely well. Hope this helps.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

I owned both...the Cali was better....a lot better...
Old 06-07-2017, 09:31 PM

I have owned both. The CA blonde has a richer, warmer, fuller sound. Best acoustic amp I have ever heard or played. It is heavy though.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-08-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Religious exclamation
Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

My experience with these was a long time back, but what I recall was that the Strawberry sounded rather "sizzley" compared to the Blonde. Just didn't have the warmth and there was too much tweeter. The Strawberry was still a good sounding amp on it's own, just didn't compare well if you A/B'd it to the Blonde. On the other hand, the Strawberry was a lot more portable!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification