The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 02:38 AM

Default Taylor Big Baby vs Academy 10

Has anyone out there compared a Big Baby to an Academy 10? I know the A10 is the new kid on the block, but my friend has a Big Baby and whenever I've played it I think it sounds nice (and I own some expensive guitars). I've also seen some folks on Youtube use the Big Baby in their videos and they sound good, though probably that's just because they play & sing well

In any case, I'm pretty tempted to get one, but am wondering if I should get an A10 instead? I know that the Academy has the NT neck vs the less-traditional Big Baby neck. The Big Baby has a 25 1/2" scale length and the A10 has a 24 7/8". How might that affect the sound?

I'm just looking to get one of the acoustic-only models as I'm not entirely convinced of the ES-B electronics.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint View Post
Has anyone out there compared a Big Baby to an Academy 10? I know the A10 is the new kid on the block, but my friend has a Big Baby and whenever I've played it I think it sounds nice (and I own some expensive guitars). I've also seen some folks on Youtube use the Big Baby in their videos and they sound good, though probably that's just because they play & sing well

In any case, I'm pretty tempted to get one, but am wondering if I should get an A10 instead? I know that the Academy has the NT neck vs the less-traditional Big Baby neck. The Big Baby has a 25 1/2" scale length and the A10 has a 24 7/8". How might that affect the sound?

I'm just looking to get one of the acoustic-only models as I'm not entirely convinced of the ES-B electronics.
The Academy series are very nice. I played the A10 and think it's a very nice instrument, it sounds good, looks good, is comfortable to play. I prefer the A12 because I'm not a dread fan, but that's personal preference. The A12 suits my older body better than a dread. That's also why I prefer the slightly shorter scale length of the Academy series over the Big Baby. I play a 300 series normally and I love the scale length.

I'm also a strong advocate of the NT neck joint, and the screws through the fret board on the Big Baby aren't something I'd appreciate from the point of aesthetics.

The arm bevel is a nice touch, and a very nice feature at the price point, although it was easy to do on the Taylor's unbound body.

The Academy is a lot of guitar and it's the Taylor I'd go for if looking for a low price point instrument.

I also don't like "built-in" electronics and install a K&K Pure Mini transducer in all my acoustics that I want to plug in. I've done 6 K&K installs and they all sound great.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM

I've been tempted to buy a Big Baby off reverb. You can find some for under $200!

No such luck with the A10. The A10 has nicer appointments and the no screws in the fretboard is appealing.

But for the price, I'd go Big Baby.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 AM

Default Taylor Big Baby vs Academy 10

I prefer the Academy 10 to the Big Baby mainly because of the bevel on the Academy and the “strange” neck-joint of the BB. I’m also not a dreadnought guy so I’ll go for the Academy 12.

Tonewise, the A10 and BB are quite close. You won’t go wrong with either choice.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Default We are all different, to be sure

...but I bought a Big Baby and played it for two days...then took it back to the Music store where I had bought it. It was a pretty big step down from my other guitars. I walked out with a GS Mini that I have been quite pleased with.

I suspect there are those who swear by their Baby guitars, but mine just didn't do it for me. It didn't feel or sound like a "real" guitar, but like a mini guitar that hadn't quite grown up yet.

I've only played an Academy once and it seemed to me like a nice step up from the Baby.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 10-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I'd have thought a GS Mini was a closer comparison to the Academy - although they are as alike as a pickup and a Volkwagen Bug.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:52 PM

I've owned a spruce/rosewood GS Mini-e for about 5 years. I liked it in the store. It's louder than my 314ce, but I find the GS Mini to sound a little harsh. The small size is more comfortable than a GA. It is fun to play, but I think my ears want something different. Also I'd rather have something in a slightly more regular scale length.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:09 PM

You ask a good question redpoint.

When I was shopping for a new guitar I gravitated to Taylor (though I love Martins). I compared BB to the then-new Academy and felt there were good points to either guitar. But, I will say, that I couldn't get past the screws on the neck of the BB. The Academy was very comfortable. But in the end, I decided on a 110. It turned out to be a prototype with a mahogany top and it was just the sound I was looking for.

I think the playing comfort of the Academy would be a selling point. Just my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion