The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Default ziricote question

Any input on how suitable ziricote might be for a fingerboard? I have a piece that should be about the right size; just wondering how well it might work.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM

I used ziricote headplate, fingerboard and bridge on my latest (redwood/tasmanian blackwood OM) and I've got nothing but good to say about it. It Keeps the frets in place nicely, easy to work with and it feels great while playing.

I say go for it.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks Rasmus. No issues with splintering? The piece I have is very straight.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM

I have used it for a fretboard. It is not splintery, but it has a nickname you should be aware of, Mexican crackwood, because it does like to develop checks and cracks, especially along the black grain lines. However, I have used it successfully for bridges as well so if you have a good piece, go for it. If you get any checks, fill with sawdust and CA and level the repair. My last ziricote fretboard developed several small checks I had to fill but you cant see them once filled and the CA hopefully prevents the check from spreading.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM

I am not a builder but my two Martin Keith (he's the builder) Elfin 5 basses (fretted & fretless) both have ziricote fingerboards. I love the look of them, and the feel is very smooth with wonderful growl on the fretless. The fretted Elfin 5 has an amazing amount of sustain, the B string rings on for minutes, really.

Check in with Martin if you want more info on his use of ziricote.

http://www.martinkeithguitars.com/
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks, Tony. The section I have is pretty stable, its been sawn for about 6 years now. I'll be sure to save some sawdust and scraps....
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM

My pleasure. It is beautiful wood.
Here is a link to a guitar I made using ziricote for the bridge, fret board and head stock veneer:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=256344
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have used Ziricote for fingerboards. It works very much like ebony and I've had no issues. Visually it is dull or flat looking and resembles poor quality ebony as the scale of its figure (mine, anyway) tends to be too big for the canvas.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
I have used it for a fretboard. It is not splintery, but it has a nickname you should be aware of, Mexican crackwood, because it does like to develop checks and cracks, especially along the black grain lines. However, I have used it successfully for bridges as well so if you have a good piece, go for it. If you get any checks, fill with sawdust and CA and level the repair. My last ziricote fretboard developed several small checks I had to fill but you cant see them once filled and the CA hopefully prevents the check from spreading.

We agree with Tony on this subject.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop