The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-24-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Not really. If you're going to use a mic and an interface, you're going to have to use a daw of some type. And if you want your recordings to be on par with what you're hearing from James Taylor and the like, at the very least you'll need to learn how to use compression, eq, and how to use a limiter for mastering. There's more to it than that, but on a basic level I'd say that was the minimum.
Thank you. I will learn how to do this eventually. It seems like everything is very accessible now.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove
Old 01-24-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Yes, this may be a temporary fix until I get a Neumann mic and Scarlett interface. May I ask what you use?

I don't often like the sound of what I hear on the radio since I find it overly processed. I'm looking for something very simple, authentic, natural and straightforward. I won't be autotuning the vocals or adding reverb.
Even though like most I am not pitch perfect But I can carry the basic tune (I am guessing like many or even most) and I don't use or see the need for auto-tune for myself .

But I would not dismiss judicious use of reverb, eq,or compression, per se (out of hand) like many things it is a matter of degree that makes the difference between judicious and overdone.

I should think a Neumann ( depending on which one and how it sounds with your voice) and the a Scarlett would be a great start, and serve you well for a good long time.

Myself I currently use a ADK Z Mod 251 LDC tube mic for vocals , I used to use , and still have, a Brauner Phantom V FET LDC (somewhat like a Neumann U87 but a bit flatter response in the upper mids)
For acoustic guitar I used to have a Schoeps CM6 -MK 4 SDC, but now use a pair of AEA N 22 ribbon mics

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-24-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Not really. If you're going to use a mic and an interface, you're going to have to use a daw of some type. And if you want your recordings to be on par with what you're hearing from James Taylor and the like, at the very least you'll need to learn how to use compression, eq, and how to use a limiter for mastering. There's more to it than that, but on a basic level I'd say that was the minimum.
Thank you for your input. Do you think that once I have all of the equipment, I can learn to mix and master my tracks by myself? Should I take classes on how to use a DAW? I would like to be proficient at this.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 01-29-2020, 08:11 AM

Not sure what classes are offered on DAW use - I know Guitar Center has (or used to have) a very basic Pro Tools class - really just a teaser to get people to buy PT.
The best way to learn to use a DAW is to do it, and keep doing it (really no different than learning anything else - practice practice practice).
the forums at homerecording.com offer lots of advice and answers to questions you may have. There is an 'MP3 Clinic' where people post their recordings and get others to listen and comment on things that can be improved (the more you participate, the more you get help).

Not sure what Neumann mic you are looking at, but if your recording space is not optimal, you may be putting more money into the mic than is really necessary. I think the least expensive Neuman is about $700. You are unlikely to hear any difference in your recordings using that mic compared to something in the <$300 range. What a sensitive condenser mic WILL pick up is any untamed room reflections and noise in the tracking space.
Most home recordists treat their spaces with sound-absorbing materials (rockwool or compressed fiberglass, not 'acoustic foam', which doesn't do anything for the low-mid and bass frequencies), ideally making the rooms somewhat 'dead' - and then adding reverb back into the recording during mixing. Unless you have concert-hall acoustics in your home's recording room, this is usually the best bet.
The last thing to consider is how you are listening to your recordings. Headphones can give you a false stereo image and until you spend several hundreds of dollars on a set, a non-flat frequency spectrum. Also, the nearness of the transducers to your ears can have an effect.
So using near-field monitors in your mixing/recording space is required. Homerecording can be a definite rabbit-hole of 'more more more equipment'!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-29-2020, 01:32 PM

Yes, a good start would be something like the iRig or a mic that plugs into your iPad (there are many) and then use Garageband to record it. Garageband will give you an easy way to get familiar with recording programs, it is very basic, but effective.

This is quite a rabbit hole you are entering. You can go easy, or full bore with mic, interface and DAW, which has a steep learning curve, but in the end will give you more flexibility and control.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Not sure what classes are offered on DAW use - I know Guitar Center has (or used to have) a very basic Pro Tools class - really just a teaser to get people to buy PT.
The best way to learn to use a DAW is to do it, and keep doing it (really no different than learning anything else - practice practice practice).
the forums at homerecording.com offer lots of advice and answers to questions you may have. There is an 'MP3 Clinic' where people post their recordings and get others to listen and comment on things that can be improved (the more you participate, the more you get help).

Not sure what Neumann mic you are looking at, but if your recording space is not optimal, you may be putting more money into the mic than is really necessary. I think the least expensive Neuman is about $700. You are unlikely to hear any difference in your recordings using that mic compared to something in the <$300 range. What a sensitive condenser mic WILL pick up is any untamed room reflections and noise in the tracking space.
Most home recordists treat their spaces with sound-absorbing materials (rockwool or compressed fiberglass, not 'acoustic foam', which doesn't do anything for the low-mid and bass frequencies), ideally making the rooms somewhat 'dead' - and then adding reverb back into the recording during mixing. Unless you have concert-hall acoustics in your home's recording room, this is usually the best bet.
The last thing to consider is how you are listening to your recordings. Headphones can give you a false stereo image and until you spend several hundreds of dollars on a set, a non-flat frequency spectrum. Also, the nearness of the transducers to your ears can have an effect.
So using near-field monitors in your mixing/recording space is required. Homerecording can be a definite rabbit-hole of 'more more more equipment'!
Thank you for this. I'm inclined to stick with my IPad for now until I know for sure what would work best for me. I already have GAS for guitars and have very little space for anything more. I've been told that my lo-fi processes work for me in a strange way. I do know that the more complicated things become, the less I'm inclined to get involved.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 01-30-2020, 02:33 PM

The 'All My Loving' track sounds decent. There's too much 'bad room' sound in the 'Let it Be' track. Keep doing what you're doing. I would suggest getting a metronome (or metronome phone app) and practice with that.

Don't buy any recording gear.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 PM

Beatles fan...yay!!

The recordings sounded very good to my ears. I am a PC guy so I can't offer any advice on how you could make your recordings sound better on a iPad. My setup is modest with a cheap MXL 990 mic and a Focusrite interface. I use Reaper as my DAW.

My local mom-n-pop music shop offers a group class on recording and production. Perhaps yours does also?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:04 PM

There is kind of a lo-fi honesty to these that I like.

It seems to me your vocals are more important than the guitar playing to these songs, but as recorded, they get a bit lost in the room. Going the "one mic" route is fun, but having an external mic that you can move around to better balance your voice with the guitar can keep the lo-fi aesthetic but still allow your vocals to be the focus.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-30-2020, 03:33 PM

I use Garage Band on my Mac, and a Blue Microphones "Yeti Pro" USB mic that I bought used on Reverb for ~$100. I use an old set of $20 Sony headphones.

I think my goals and objectives are a little lower than yours, but ultimately I want to be able to make some recordings to share with family/friends that sound like a dude playing/singing pretty well.

The raw recordings absolutely need to be adjusted tweaked with the controls Garage Band provides - but I've been rather satisfied with the results I've gotten.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:00 PM

Default IPad recordings - what do you think?

There is a wonderful iPad program called Auria which is very close to the best of the PC and Mac DAWS feature-wise. I hadn’t brought this up earlier because it has been a while since the last update. Anyway, a new version is in the works and it is going to be just awesome!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Thank you for your input. Do you think that once I have all of the equipment, I can learn to mix and master my tracks by myself? Should I take classes on how to use a DAW? I would like to be proficient at this.
At some point, all of use were where you are right now. So of course you can become proficient.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-31-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
At some point, all of use were where you are right now. So of course you can become proficient.
I'll second this. There are many many youtube videos that can help also. I use Reaper and it has wonderful online support. It's cheap too .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD