The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-12-2020, 06:34 AM

Default Carbon fiber with Fishman Aura

I was wondering if anybody used a Fishman Aura with a CF guitar. I have an emerald X20 and was wondering if it works well?

It should, I guess!

Be & Remember ☮
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
I was wondering if anybody used a Fishman Aura with a CF guitar. I have an emerald X20 and was wondering if it works well?

It should, I guess!
I have a Composite Acoustics GX with built-in Aura. It comes with 6 images made specifically for the GX, and sounds fantastic--very natural, and really eliminates the piezo quack.

But that means I can't tell you if the Aura pedal, which I imagine you're referring to, will have any images that work well with an X20 specifically. Fishman (at least used to) have a service where you could send them your guitar and they'd create images for you. Not sure if that's still available, and of course is a big commitment to ship your guitar!
Old 01-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Are you talking about the Aura pedal or a pickup with the Aura?

I have a McPherson Sable and I just picked up a Fishman Aura here recently (the footpedal Aura). It works alright. I haven’t had a chance to really dial in some settings. But it’s pretty good.

I own a Tone Dexter and that’s a better route, in my opinion. You can actually model YOUR specific guitar with it. I’ve not had the Aura long, so I’m not quite sure if that can be done easily on it. But with the TD, it’s very simple.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Fishman Aura works well with carbon fiber! I've had a Composite Acoustics Tim Stafford Signature with Onboard Aura, and I've used all versions of the Aura pedal, from the original Blender to the Spectrum with a few RainSong DR1000 dreadnoughts, and they all sounded much better with Aura than without!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-14-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:34 AM

I tested my X20 with an onboard ellipse aura before and it sounded really good even though the images weren't for that particular guitar. It sounds like you might be referring to the external aura pedal which I would bet would sound very good as well, at least better sounding than a UST on its own.

I agree with Jojobean39, I think Tonedexter would be a much better route for you to go.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 AM

I know that the previous-generation Rainsongs with the Fishman preamp used the same under-saddle transducer that the Aura was built for, but there weren't many Rainsong images in the Aura catalog, last time I checked. But the Tonedexter might be another option worth considering, as the theoretical application is basically the same.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:55 PM

Thank you all

Yes, I mean the Aura floor pedal.

Chipotle: getting rid of that "quack" is what I'm after. I heard about that Fishman service, seems like a cool feature.

jojobean39: I'll check the Tonedexter, I never heard of it before, thanks !!!

SpruceTop, GuitarLuva, and MiG50: Thanks for the encouraging info. I'll check youtube for the dexter.

Thanks a million ...great comments

Be & Remember ☮
Old 01-14-2020, 06:51 PM

I had a Rainsong Dread that had the Fishman Prefix. Ran it through an Aura Sixteen pedal and it sounded great. I’m pretty sure it had a “composite” model but that was probably an Ovation. But it worked well.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

I had a Martin and a baden with the on board Aura and it was pretty nice. Later I ended up buying a second hand Peavey era Composite Acoustics GXI with the Fishman Aura on board and holy crap! I recorded a backing track for someone direct into my interface and it really sounded like the guitar had a high quality condenser in front of it. It floored me! sadly the neck on that guitar was just too wide for me which was really depressing because it sounded so good both unplugged and plugged in. If I had the money, I'd order a X20 or X30 with the Aura just because I am so curious. I imagine it would bump up the price quite a bit to have one of those with the Emerald as opposed to the standard electronics package they include. (Which is not bad...but not great either in my opinion.)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:38 AM

I never used the Aura personally ..... it seems to be well regarded !

Be & Remember ☮

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber