The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-04-2020, 05:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
I asked exactly the question I wanted answered. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of a cloth behind the bridge, will definitely investigate that.
Perhaps this will give you some ideas, because it really works in demonstration.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 09-04-2020, 09:11 AM

Lighter strings WILL drive the top less. But you will be reducing the performance of the guitar. The harmonics, basic timbre, everything about the sound of the guitar will also be diminished. Like putting regular gas in a super-car. Short term it'll slow the car down. Long term it can do damage. In the case of a vintage guitar like yours extremely light strings could result in a backbow of the neck that might not be recovered from without introducing neck twist when heavier strings go back on. Not saying it will. But it could.

No intention of being rude. The guitar was literally designed to be loud. As much as it sounds like work, more controlled picking is the answer. I faced the same dilemma two decades ago when I got into resonators.

Maybe look for something with shallower/smaller body. Go test-drive a godin 5th avenue (because you can probably find one at your local GC) and see if a shallow body archtop is more for you. If it is you can start looking for cooler funky vintage guitars of that style.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Maybe consider Doug's Plugs? Whilst designed to fight feedback, inserting one into an f-hole will certainly reduce volume. I have them in my 1961 ES-175D and acoustically the volume is down about 50%, and I can play to louder electric levels wihout fighting feedback.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops