The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Shoreline Music Shoreline Music is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
But you can't stream 15 locations at once with Netflix.
But you can easily stream from that many locations in a day—heck, even twice that. The point is that it's pretty easy to tell which passwords have been shared in violation of the user agreement. No third party service needed.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 AM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 6,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Maybe ... but PROVE that the 2nd session isn't ME.
That can be really easy.

I'm sure I'm typical for a small to mid-sized business. I have to keep an eye on what 700+ employees do. On top of that are around 300 - 1400 customers using our networks each day. Just managing security and performance plus dealing with compliance and audits produces a whole lot of data. In this era you have to have network-based security and a lot of data logging even the latter is only held for a short while.

Forget about public or at work. I'm sure the fine print for your own ISP agreement lets the firm know more than you realize. Even if you create encrypted traffic you can still find end points.

If you have an iPhone configured with good security and an Android device with Google logging much of what you do network devices can still know where you are and where you go.

I have no doubts the data that tells me someone was watching Netflix when they were supposed to be working makes it easy for Netflix to find violators.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 AM
frankmcr frankmcr is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
But you can't stream 15 locations at once with Netflix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
But you can easily stream from that many locations in a day—heck, even twice that.
I'm just curious as what extent that is actually a thing.

Are there a bunch of dealings out there like: "Hey, can I use your Netflix password today from noon to one?" "Sorry, the only time slot I have left is 6am to 6:30".
__________________
Martin 0-28VS
Gibson Arlo Guthrie
Fender Robert Cray Strat
Buckeye Mandolin
Kamaka HF-1D
Tom Yocky dulcimer
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM
seannx seannx is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,802
Default

Netflix has 3 plans. The cheapest is to stream/download on one screen, the standard (which I have) authorizes two streams/downloads plus HD quality, and the most expensive gives 4 streams/downloads plus Ultra HD.
If someone uses a VPN, and a TV show is available in other countries only, they can change their IP address and stream a program not available in their country. For example, Fargo isn’t on Netflix in the US, but is in the UK. Netflix monitors sign-ins from locations other than your usual ones, and will send an email to notify the account holder when that happens, that looks like this:

Quote:
We noticed a new sign-in with your Netflix account (xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com).
Device
Computer
Location
California, United States
(may not match your exact location)
Time
December 30th, 9:52 AM PST
If you signed-in recently, relax and enjoy watching! But if you don’t recognize this sign-in, we recommend that you change your password immediately to secure your account.
We're here to help if you need it. Visit the Help Center for more info or contact us.
–Your friends at Netflix
So it appears Netflix tracks where and when sign-ins occur, but as long as you are within your account screen limit, the where isn’t a limiting factor. I share my account with one of my sons, so there are only ever two possible sign-ins.

I’m curious if anyone has tried to do more than the allowed number of streams at the same time for their account level, for example with friends or family.
__________________
1950 Martin 00-18
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Taylor 414ce Sitka/Walnut 2010 Spring Limited
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Gibson Firebird V 2015
Vox SDC-33
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Taylor T5Z Pro LTD
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 12,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Whatever happened to Napster? Is that still around. Man I remember when that was all the rage.
Napster went legit, not near as big a iTunes, but still around.
It was actually the band Metallica that first launched a lawsuit against Napster that started the legal problems that eventually led to its peer to peer network being shut down .
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Shades of Blue's Avatar
Shades of Blue Shades of Blue is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,741
Default

Netflix should spend their time and money figuring out how to become relevant again and start adding more movies!
__________________
Taylor 717 Grand Pacific
Taylor 517 Grand Pacific
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Shoreline Music Shoreline Music is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I'm just curious as what extent that is actually a thing.

Are there a bunch of dealings out there like: "Hey, can I use your Netflix password today from noon to one?" "Sorry, the only time slot I have left is 6am to 6:30".
My kids have said that their friends in college share logins/passwords freely. HBO, Starz, CBS All Access, Hulu, Prime, Netflix, and many others. Many dozens of people share the same password. If they go to log in, they'll occasionally get a "too many devices" notice, so they wait an hour to see if they can watch later when someone else has logged off. In the meantime, they've just logged another location on the Netflix server.

So, yes, this does happen. I would guess that the expensive services like HBO more often get shared than something cheap like Netflix.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Wadcutter Wadcutter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Napster went legit, not near as big a iTunes, but still around.
It was actually the band Metallica that first launched a lawsuit against Napster that started the legal problems that eventually led to its peer to peer network being shut down .
Thanks Kev. Had no idea Metallica had a hand in the demise of Napster.
__________________
HD-28
Hog GS Mini
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 PM
robj144 robj144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Thanks Kev. Had no idea Metallica had a hand in the demise of Napster.
You're on the net Wad... just go to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster
__________________
Guild CO-2
Guild JF30-12
Guild D55
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 AM
Wadcutter Wadcutter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You're on the net Wad... just go to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster
I’ve read several places that Wikipedia is unreliable on many topics. I prefer heresay, innuendo and rumors....and maybe a few embellishments sprinkled with hyperbole. 🥴
__________________
HD-28
Hog GS Mini
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 12,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I prefer heresay, innuendo and rumors....and maybe a few embellishments sprinkled with hyperbole. ��
Ha! now that is precious , and the scary thing is it appears to actually be SOP for vast segments of the population, funny how humor also reflects reality sometimes
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM
RustyAxe RustyAxe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That can be really easy. ... <and lots of irrelevant stuff snipped> ...
Nonsense, and don't know what you're getting at. My wife can be watching at home, while I'm watching at my daughter's house. Two perfectly valid logons, which is what I'm entitled to, regardless of where. Sure, they can tell the logons are from different locations ... but that's exactly how it's supposed be used. Why else would they have a Netflix app for mobile devices?

Last weekend I inadvertently left my tablet logged on the Netflix, wife watching in the living room, and when I accessed Netflix from the den, I got a "too many logons" message (or something to that effect) that blocked me from watching until I ended the tablet session. Made me nuts for a minute, as I couldn't figure out why there were too many. The point being that Netflix knows how many are logged on with my ID, and from where, and denies service when the agreed limit is exceeded. No need for some 3rd party tracking software at all.

I think the OP is just repeating some internet myth.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 6,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Nonsense, and don't know what you're getting at. My wife can be watching at home, while I'm watching at my daughter's house. Two perfectly valid logons, which is what I'm entitled to, regardless of where. Sure, they can tell the logons are from different locations ... but that's exactly how it's supposed be used. Why else would they have a Netflix app for mobile devices?

Last weekend I inadvertently left my tablet logged on the Netflix, wife watching in the living room, and when I accessed Netflix from the den, I got a "too many logons" message (or something to that effect) that blocked me from watching until I ended the tablet session. Made me nuts for a minute, as I couldn't figure out why there were too many. The point being that Netflix knows how many are logged on with my ID, and from where, and denies service when the agreed limit is exceeded. No need for some 3rd party tracking software at all.

I think the OP is just repeating some internet myth.
Every device has a machine address in addition to an Internet protocol address. Network administrators and ISPs log that, protocols used, plus source and destination of traffic. Cookies and other metadata are very telling.

Feel or think what you wish, but a lot of what people are doing with networked devices is not too hard to figure out.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 AM
RustyAxe RustyAxe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Every device has a machine address in addition to an Internet protocol address. Network administrators and ISPs log that, protocols used, plus source and destination of traffic. Cookies and other metadata are very telling.

Feel or think what you wish, but a lot of what people are doing with networked devices is not too hard to figure out.
That's what I said ... Netflix knows where and how many logons are active. So what? I might use my phone, my friend's phone, my iPad, my iMac, my daughter's Windows machine, my grandson's PlayStation, my smart TV, or my mini-van. Still only TWO simultaneous logons, and attempts at more are blocked. Netflix can tell the device, time, place, IP address, etc ... but ... they CANNOT tell what PERSON is logged in ... only which account. Why are you arguing with me?

I'll settle this ... you're right. Now leave me alone.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 PM
brad2001 brad2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: midddle earth, Kansas
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Every device has a machine address in addition to an Internet protocol address. Network administrators and ISPs log that, protocols used, plus source and destination of traffic. Cookies and other metadata are very telling.

Feel or think what you wish, but a lot of what people are doing with networked devices is not too hard to figure out.
True that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=