The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM

Default pickup recommendations for PRS SE 245

hey there. just ended up making a deal on a 2012 PRS SE 245 to jump back in to the world of electrics. I haven't done any modifications previously, all my electrics in the past (all 4 of them? lol) have been stock, as a mostly acoustic only player.. but I enjoy them. and I know that I'm going to want to switch out the pickups on this guitar. I'm open to doing other mods along the way, but.. basically, right now I just can't afford a $2k American PRS (which is truly what I want!) or boutique electric, so I'm willing to sink a little money into getting myself as close as I can. What pickups would you guys recommend? I like the look of covered humbuckers, so keep in mind that whatever I do put in there, will likely have the plates/covers. I play a mix of classic rock, rock, older stuff, nothing super heavy, blues rock, original writing, stuff like that. a little reverb, and switching between half clean and half driven, fat tones. I'm thinking Duncans or DiMarzio, but.. I have to admit, I don't know alot about pickups.

Any resources as far as places I might go to look at information or guides etc? Any OTHER mods that you would recommend right out of the gate, in order to affect the playability and or feel of the guitar? It doesn't have to be perfect but I would like this thing to eventually be very, very good. Due to budget restrictions I'll likely be tackling one thing at a time, not smacking down a grand to overhaul everything at once.

Hoping I can tap into yalls wisdom here and come away with a real winner : )

Thanks
SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Honestly, having “modded” numerous electrics...I’d 1. Start with setting the pickup heights correctly and 2. Replace the stock wiring (pots, caps, etc.)

It’s amazing how much tonal difference you can get from quality pots like CTS, some quality pushback wire, pio (paper in oil) caps or even orange drops, and a switch-craft switch and jack (no tonal difference but well worth the minor cost).

Personally, I also like the 50’s wiring scheme (many articles and write ups on this online).

Also, a decent nut (Tusq/Graphtech) will make for better tuning.

All of the above typically can be had for a little over $100 and make a world of difference.

And the pickup height adjustment is free (YouTube is a great resource if need be).

IMHO, pickups should always be last on the “mod punch list”, as doing the above oftentimes yields fantastic results. Many times, on a decent guitar, the stock pickups can be very usuable.

In my experience, it’s typically the wiring (pots, caps, etc.) that leave much to be desired.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 PM

Awesome, this is exactly the kind of stuff I need. I was already planning to change the nut, and as for the electronics, I knew there was some potential there to make changes, but I'm going to have to read up on it further. I will still probably change the pickups anyway but definitely planning to do some stuff like you just mentioned as well.

Thanks

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-19-2018, 06:10 AM

I've set up a few of these. Here's my findings for your consideration.

The stock nut is pretty decent. It benefits from a slight adjustment in action height using proper files, like the StewMac gauged files. This helps playability in the first few frets and tuning. This is largely my opinion, but nut slot shape and the depth they're cut into the material have a bigger effect than the nut material. If the strings are buried deep in their slots, they bind. If the bottoms aren't rounded, they bind.

The frets are usually very good when new. I usually don't have to level them, but I do radius the ends for comfort. This leads to:

You can get the action delightfully low, and the stock bridge does well at intonating standard string sets.

The pickups in these have a nice amount of mid-range content which helps you be heard in a full band situation. I really like them for that reason. I too would swap the other components first for reliability's sake, and spend some time adjusting and getting to know these pickups. Decide what in particular you don't like, which will help others guide you in the right direction.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM

thanks clint. i'll definitely get to know them and how they work with my sound before making a move. I like a blend between almost totally clean and partially driven/dirty with a splash of reverb and other effects. mild and but fat tones that sound good.

we'll see what happens. I'll also need an amp, suitable for home use. likely will hit the big box store with the guitar when it gets in, and play thru as many as I can at different volumes. advice welcome.

cheers
Scott

Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
hey there. just ended up making a deal on a 2012 PRS SE 245 to jump back in to the world of electrics. I haven't done any modifications previously, all my electrics in the past (all 4 of them? lol) have been stock, as a mostly acoustic only player.. but I enjoy them. and I know that I'm going to want to switch out the pickups on this guitar. I'm open to doing other mods along the way, but.. basically, right now I just can't afford a $2k American PRS (which is truly what I want!) or boutique electric, so I'm willing to sink a little money into getting myself as close as I can. What pickups would you guys recommend? I like the look of covered humbuckers, so keep in mind that whatever I do put in there, will likely have the plates/covers. I play a mix of classic rock, rock, older stuff, nothing super heavy, blues rock, original writing, stuff like that. a little reverb, and switching between half clean and half driven, fat tones. I'm thinking Duncans or DiMarzio, but.. I have to admit, I don't know alot about pickups.

Any resources as far as places I might go to look at information or guides etc? Any OTHER mods that you would recommend right out of the gate, in order to affect the playability and or feel of the guitar? It doesn't have to be perfect but I would like this thing to eventually be very, very good. Due to budget restrictions I'll likely be tackling one thing at a time, not smacking down a grand to overhaul everything at once.

Hoping I can tap into yalls wisdom here and come away with a real winner : )

Thanks
SC
I just found out that PRS now has the 57/08 humbuckers for sale (as mentioned in my NGD post)...if I remember right, they're selling for $219.00 apiece...and they are STUNNING! Very much like a NOS PAF but a bit brighter.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 06-20-2018, 03:06 PM

Many folks don't like Stewart Macdonald, but their Parsons Street humbuckers are *superb*. Avoid the overwound version and go with the standard wind. They're even on sale right now.

I have these in three guitars and I always get compliments on my tone. A lot of the beauty of the original PAF (and their clones) is because they're a bit underpowered. It's what makes them sparkle. Modern humbuckers won't do that because they're too midrange-forward. A fine Les Paul is a lot like a Telecaster, but a little more muscular sounding.

If you install hot pickups in a guitar, that's the tone you're stuck with. But with milder pickups, you can get sparkle and jangle, and if you need more power, tap your toe on your boost or overdrive pedal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars