The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Roy, I am sure you are too modest my friend. If you are having fun and inspired the tone and everything else, then I say you're doin' just fine!

Shades of Blue - I'm on the same page as you are. Every time Roy shares that photo, I want a D-41. (and a J-45!) Nice Yin/Yang thing going on there.

Wade - Thanks for suggesting 80/20's. I accidentally installed a set once thinking they were Phoshor Bronze. I had a preconceived notion to dismiss 80/20's and that accident proved me wrong. I do however still prefer Martin Lifespan PB's on my D-18 and Martin Outlaw (Hog/Adi).

The D-41 however has that rosewood voice with sparkle and detail and maybe it will sound best with John Pearse versus Martin strings and maybe even 80/20's versus Phosphor Bronze Strings.

ChasingChet - You know already since we talk a lot. I am VERY excited for You! I've heard you play and you have so many skills and styles to draw from ...you will make that D-41 sing. I can't wait for your New Guitar Day Post (NGD) ....Remember ...Pictures are mandatory ..or it didn't happen! Ha! :-)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-21-2018, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Chasingchet, I don't own that exact Martin model, but I do own a rosewood Martin dreadnought CS21-11, and also own a Martin D-18. The strings I use on both guitars are John Pearse 80/20 bronze in medium gauge. I've tried phosphor bronze on both guitars but haven't liked them as much as the 80/20's, which give the bass strings better clarity and make the bass better defined as a result. This increases the perceived bass response as well as providing nice, zingy trebles.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Funny...I have six sets of 80/20 .13's incoming today.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 AM

Great guitars are less finicky about strings than guitar owners.

Any major brand of Light gauge phosphor bronze string should make that Martin speak with authority.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Roy, I am sure you are too modest my friend. If you are having fun and inspired the tone and everything else, then I say you're doin' just fine!

Shades of Blue - I'm on the same page as you are. Every time Roy shares that photo, I want a D-41. (and a J-45!) Nice Yin/Yang thing going on there.

Wade - Thanks for suggesting 80/20's. I accidentally installed a set once thinking they were Phoshor Bronze. I had a preconceived notion to dismiss 80/20's and that accident proved me wrong. I do however still prefer Martin Lifespan PB's on my D-18 and Martin Outlaw (Hog/Adi).

The D-41 however has that rosewood voice with sparkle and detail and maybe it will sound best with John Pearse versus Martin strings and maybe even 80/20's versus Phosphor Bronze Strings.

ChasingChet - You know already since we talk a lot. I am VERY excited for You! I've heard you play and you have so many skills and styles to draw from ...you will make that D-41 sing. I can't wait for your New Guitar Day Post (NGD) ....Remember ...Pictures are mandatory ..or it didn't happen! Ha! :-)
I'm literally so close I can't stand it. I feel like I could be just as happy with a good 000-18 as I am with the 000-28 (all except the killer glossy fretboard). I mean, that glossy fretboard is why I've kept it this long in all honestly. It's a sight to behold!

If I could sell my 000-28 for asking, I could get a D-41 with a little extra cash. I just can't wrap my head around why the D-41 tends to sound so much better than the new HD-28. I've actually played two reimagined HD-28s and they leave me flat. It's not that they don't sound good, they just aren't the canons I expect to hear when I pick up a dread. They are almost thin sounding. I know others mention the D-35, but I've never seen one in person, let along got to try one.

I can actually order a Custom Shop HD-28 with an Adirondack top and GE Bracing for cheaper than I can buy a D-41 for. I'd almost rather go Custom Shop and forgo the bling...
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

thanks Gary! Supahh excited about my Sunburst D 41 just considering a change in strings and lots of guys here are getting some great results with different strings interestingly I never considered lights before? hmnnnn
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I'm literally so close I can't stand it. I feel like I could be just as happy with a good 000-18 as I am with the 000-28 (all except the killer glossy fretboard). I mean, that glossy fretboard is why I've kept it this long in all honestly. It's a sight to behold!

If I could sell my 000-28 for asking, I could get a D-41 with a little extra cash. I just can't wrap my head around why the D-41 tends to sound so much better than the new HD-28. I've actually played two reimagined HD-28s and they leave me flat. It's not that they don't sound good, they just aren't the canons I expect to hear when I pick up a dread. They are almost thin sounding. I know others mention the D-35, but I've never seen one in person, let along got to try one.

I can actually order a Custom Shop HD-28 with an Adirondack top and GE Bracing for cheaper than I can buy a D-41 for. I'd almost rather go Custom Shop and forgo the bling...
Interesting stuff my friend! Although I havent tried the new HD 28s Im happy you didnt love em! And I feel the new D 41s or any 41 for that matter beat the HD 28 IT AINT JUST BLING BELIEVE ME. I played 3 recently here in new york 2 "reimagined" models and a 2017 D41...I was BLOWWWWNNNNN away They just didnt wanna give me the huge discount Wilcutt gave me! Now have you played that custom shop HD adi 28? that would be a battle....the 28 vs the 41 your thoughts Shades of Blue???
Chet
Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
Interesting stuff my friend! Although I havent tried the new HD 28s Im happy you didnt love em! And I feel the new D 41s or any 41 for that matter beat the HD 28 IT AINT JUST BLING BELIEVE ME. I played 3 recently here in new york 2 "reimagined" models and a 2017 D41...I was BLOWWWWNNNNN away They just didnt wanna give me the huge discount Wilcutt gave me! Now have you played that custom shop HD adi 28? that would be a battle....the 28 vs the 41 your thoughts Shades of Blue???
Chet
Well, I am leaning D-41, but it would be about $500 more than the Custom Shop. I'd like to just find a good Custom Shop HD-28, but prices are steeper generally than just ordering myself (or so is my experience.)

The best sounding guitar I've ever played was a used D-45 I tried recently. It was about $6500 I think used, so I imagine I could talk them down quite a bit. But then reality hit me and I woke up....that's a LOT of money.

What I've discovered is that I do tend to enjoy the experience of larger bodied guitars better. I love the rumble and the low end, but there is something haunting about the tone of my 000-28. I use it for DADGAD. Now, my thought is that a D-41 would SLAY in DADGAD and render my 000-28 obsolete as it would also be great for everything else as well....I just don't know because I was so let down by the HD-28s I tried.

The other caveat is that if my J-45 sounded good to me in DADGAD, I could be a one guitar guy... I seriously love that guitar and it is so much fun to play. First world problems ma' friend!!!

Here is my 000-28. My sorry excuse for Day and Age by Julian Lage! https://soundcloud.com/user-95645654...ge-julian-lage

By comparison, my J-45. These tones are so different, but I love them both! https://soundcloud.com/user-956456543/new-recording-8
Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I am leaning D-41, but it would be about $500 more than the Custom Shop. I'd like to just find a good Custom Shop HD-28, but prices are steeper generally than just ordering myself (or so is my experience.)

The best sounding guitar I've ever played was a used D-45 I tried recently. It was about $6500 I think used, so I imagine I could talk them down quite a bit. But then reality hit me and I woke up....that's a LOT of money.

What I've discovered is that I do tend to enjoy the experience of larger bodied guitars better. I love the rumble and the low end, but there is something haunting about the tone of my 000-28. I use it for DADGAD. Now, my thought is that a D-41 would SLAY in DADGAD and render my 000-28 obsolete as it would also be great for everything else as well....I just don't know because I was so let down by the HD-28s I tried.

The other caveat is that if my J-45 sounded good to me in DADGAD, I could be a one guitar guy... I seriously love that guitar and it is so much fun to play. First world problems ma' friend!!!

Here is my 000-28. My sorry excuse for Day and Age by Julian Lage! https://soundcloud.com/user-95645654...ge-julian-lage

By comparison, my J-45. These tones are so different, but I love them both! https://soundcloud.com/user-956456543/new-recording-8
awesome stuff! about to listen...Call my friend Eric at Willcut guitars Im getting the 41 for $3500 new shipped to my door. flat. other dealers will get you close at that price It sounds extraordinary in person!!! I also enjoy the 45 MONSTER ...best woods chosen and maybe the best sounding martin period!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
awesome stuff! about to listen...Call my friend Eric at Willcut guitars Im getting the 41 for $3500 new shipped to my door. flat. other dealers will get you close at that price It sounds extraordinary in person!!! I also enjoy the 45 MONSTER ...best woods chosen and maybe the best sounding martin period!
That's a great price. If I decide to sell the 000-28 I will give him a call. Heck, maybe I can work a trade in...
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

wow..That was beautiful especially loved the HUUUUGE j45 sounds on amazing grace..your sense of time is wonderful. You are a very fine player indeed...also really loved the 00028! what year are those 2 guitars? I feel if you gotta D 41 your ,life would be complete
Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
wow..That was beautiful especially loved the HUUUUGE j45 sounds on amazing grace..your sense of time is wonderful. You are a very fine player indeed...also really loved the 00028! what year are those 2 guitars? I feel if you gotta D 41 your ,life would be complete
You are too kind!

The J-45 is a 2018, and the 000-28 is a 2017. Both were bought new.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a great price. If I decide to sell the 000-28 I will give him a call. Heck, maybe I can work a trade in...
yeah hes got a few 41s and 42s etc he cant advertise his huge discounts but wilcutt is a great Martin dealer...I actually let my HD 28v go a few days ago to help finance this purchase its comming tomorrow ..super excited!!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:23 PM

Default D41

I have a 2018 D41 and you will certainly love it. It was purchased in February and still has the same strings on it. The strings are dead, and I have not got around to changing them.... Why? Because the guitar still sound amazing.

I just changed the strings on my D18A and the D41 with the dead strings more than holds its own in sparkle, tone and projection.

The new forward shifted bracing, higher grade wood, and the Custom Shop like workmanship results in one hell of a guitar.

Enjoy!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbigsby View Post
I have a 2018 D41 and you will certainly love it. It was purchased in February and still has the same strings on it. The strings are dead, and I have not got around to changing them.... Why? Because the guitar still sound amazing.

I just changed the strings on my D18A and the D41 with the dead strings more than holds its own in sparkle, tone and projection.

The new forward shifted bracing, higher grade wood, and the Custom Shop like workmanship results in one hell of a guitar.

Enjoy!
Ya'll aren't helping. Sheesh!

I'm THIIIIIS close to listing my 000...
Old 06-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbigsby View Post

Enjoy!
fantastic bbigsby! are u using mediums? did you get the natural or burst? Glad you are loving yours...I feel it looks beautiful and sounds amazing very different then the 28 class of dreads....do you agree?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion