The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Larrivee L-09 Input & Opinions

I may have a chance to pickup a Larrivee L-09 at what seems to be a really good price ($1,500). I don't know much other than they good decent reviews here and on the internet. What is the body shape considered as? Is this an OM or a 000 or somewhere in between? It seemed to my naked eye a little bigger or at least deeper than an OM.

Anyway, I would be curious to get opinions on the model? The price?

Clip of actual guitar:
https://youtu.be/6l9bnMfbjYQ
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 AM

I have an early (1989) L-09 guitar that is fantastic. The L body was first made in Canada by Jean Larrivee, who built classical guitars before venturing into steel strings. It is larger than an OM, smaller and more curved than the D, and just a joy to play. Actually, the L compares in body shape to the Gibson J-45/35 except for being a bit more shallow. Larrivee necks are fairly flat, a sticking point to some, but generally very playable at 1 3/4" at the nut.
Larrivees do not have very good resale values, however. I would think that $1500 is at the top of the range for a used L-09, despite being US made from premium woods and workmanship.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Pretty easy to find the specs https://www.larrivee.com
Do a little searching, you'll find plenty of information.
The L body is Larrivee's signature guitar. Very balanced sound, the spruce/rosewood will give you a full, lush tone. Great guitars, Larrivee
sources the best woods.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM

The body shape is distinctly like a classical guitar.

I've got one and it is very articulate and a fantastic for finger style. Highly recommended!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 PM

I have an L 03 Mahogany/Sitka and an LV-10 EIR/Alpine Spruce.

Love the Larrivee L body guitars.

The price seems reasonable for an 09 series. New, they will set you back almost twice that amount.

The video you linked was very good. Nice tone on this one. If everything is "mint" with no issues, that price is good but you could probably haggle another $100 or so.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:00 PM

Grant, the Larrivée L body guitars are the company's proprietary design. While the upper bout is smaller and the waist nipped in, the lower bout is wider than that of a Martin dreadnought. Because of their narrow waist and lively touch sensitivity it's easy to think of them as being smallbody guitars, but in reality they're more like a small jumbo, kind of like an improved Gibson J-185. Larrivée L body guitars have all the power and bass response of a large guitar, but they also have a balanced tone and an excellent treble response.

So you can play whatever you want on them: they work equally well for fingerpicking and for playing with a pick. I've owned three over the years and still have an L-03R. They're fine instruments.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-20-2018, 03:16 PM

I really like larrivee guitars,simply some of the best
Guitars out there for the money
They sound fantastic
Jump on that deal,sounds like a good one
Good luck
Dave
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM

way back in the mid seventies the L 09 could have variations . i have a 75 and a 74, with made in toronto label. both excellent condition. both have amazing overtones but not as loud as the L 09s of ten years later. the 74 has a half inch wider lower bout than the 75 or those from the eighties and on ward, and the 75 has a quarter inch deeper body. both signed by jean claude larrivee. both record very well with my voice. great balance across the range and they don't drown my voice. bright sensitive tone.

i had an eighties i traded a while back that was loud. very loud. even the seventies ones are louder than most small jumbos but they get louder in the eighties on. however not as fine a palate of overtones, untill some more recent which seem to have both.

jean claude larrivee wasn't fussy about dating or labels. my two toronto ones have no serial number, but a signature and date. i think serial number appear in 79.

in the mid seventies there were other people signing some guitars. dave wrenn, linda manzer, grit laskin, and several other famous luthiers worked in that shop back then. they signed guitars they did all the work on. i saw a dave wrenn signed 12 string a few years ago.. loved it but i couldn't afford it at the time.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I am going back with 2 of my guitars to AB them against the Larrivee. I want to see and hear if it is as good as I initially thought.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 AM

I picked up a 1 year old L-05 with case for $450, kept it several years and re-sold for twice what I paid for it. I LOVE the L body and the guitar always sounded wonderful. I needed to go to a smaller body due to a shoulder injury, but I'm a huge fan of the L series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion