The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-05-2023, 11:16 AM

I have a few archtops and semi hollows and they sound great through my Princeton Reverb...

And this one has DeArmonds...

As for acoustic solid state amps I have found they also sound great through channel one of my Schertler Jam 200 that has the warm switch. And also though the darker channel of my Phil Jones AG300 acocustic amp.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:19 PM

I gig my L5-CES at farmers markets where there is no available electricity, so I am forced to play through a Fishman Loudbox Mini. It sounds great.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

A period Epiphone Electar Zephyr should complete the ensemble nicely. Here's a 1939 example:
And look at that maple veneer!I've wanted one of these ever since I saw a friend's sitting in his shop.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-11-2023, 11:03 AM

I prefer hearing magnetic pickups through a tube amp over an acoustic amp. Acoustic amps are great at amplifying piezos and transducers, but to my ears, they sound sterile with a magnetic pickup. But, then again, I have a few buddies who have a similar rig (post-war L-5 with a magnetic pickup), one uses a Hendriksen and the other uses a Milkman and both of them sound great.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender 68 re-issue

I tried one of those Fenders with an archtop, sounded awful.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:12 PM

Try them both to see which you like better. I'd prefer the Princeton, but my ears aren't your ears.

Don't worry about damaging the guitar. It won't. The signal from a guitar pickup is infinitesimal. That's why you need an amplifier between the guitar and the speaker. In fact, that's why it's called an amplifier. It amplifies that tiny signal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops