The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2024, 10:49 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Default Today at 3 amigo's

Go AA has a growing international reach and it is gaining as we go. But given I live in Nashville and have been making guitars here for going on 39 years it has baffled me we have had so little traction here at home.

So I convinced my partner and audio electronics guru Ben to go to 3 Amigo's as out reach for the local community. Today was quite fun for us. So many gifted guitar players came bye and we drew people by asking them to try the most feedback resistant acoustic guitar amplification there is.

We had a Fishman mini loudbox on the table and a stool so the players could face the amp right on top of it

A Guitar tech for Luke Bryant came by. He called it a game changer. We will see where that goes. Who knows.

We debuted the our newest product today.

The Presonic system is a retrofit to replaced the Fishman Prefix pro as well as the Presys:

The strings can be balanced by opening the door and removing the battery. Those are 6, individual vol pot, string adjusters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240221_142735_HDR~2.jpg (41.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 20240221_142720_HDR~2.jpg (38.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20240322_113843_HDR~2(1).jpg (60.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg presonic sys.jpg (34.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20240221_142655_HDR.jpg (36.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by conecaster; 03-24-2024 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Well done, Paul.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM

That's a great idea and system. It seems to me that in today's market you'll need to supply some product to youtubers who are willing to review and comment on the product.

AeroUSA aka Arron Short on the forum might be a good person to start with. If it's not something he's willing to try, he can point you in the right direction. FWIW, I have personal experience with hearing your pickup in person and it sounded very good. The difficulty of educating the consumer is that most people who buy pickups play at home. It's an aspirational purchase.

Your product is targeted to the "real" acoustic guitar performer (like Nashville is littered with). They will get it once demonstrated. But, focusing on the sound quality is what will capture most people's attention.

I'd like to try your system. 3 things cause me to hesitate. One, you don't list the typical saddle widths for manufacturers on your website to make purchase easy. You need calipers and a phone call with you, Paul. 2, the size of the holes needed to slide in the ribbon cables through the saddle slot worry me. Lastly, the wear on the saddle material you have fused to the UST. They all need replacement eventually if they are not bone.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:58 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

<<Your product is targeted to the "real" acoustic guitar performer (like Nashville is littered with). They will get it once demonstrated. But, focusing on the sound quality is what will capture most people's attention.

I'd like to try your system. 3 things cause me to hesitate. One, you don't list the typical saddle widths for manufacturers on your website to make purchase easy. You need calipers and a phone call with you, Paul. 2, the size of the holes needed to slide in the ribbon cables through the saddle slot worry me. Lastly, the wear on the saddle material you have fused to the UST. They all need replacement eventually if they are not bone.>>

Thank you for your interest and your points are noted.

The Micarta string rest, bounded to the very hard Poly glass substrate, is very durable and holds up very well. I do not anticipate it failing like is seen on the Barbera pickups which use an epoxy glass coating over a metal substrate, which crack and chip off. Clients tell us the difference acoustically is not audible to them.

Our standard saddle width is 3mm. We define it as 1/8th inch but most guitars made over seas have 3mm saddles slots as do Taylor's. A Martin slot is 2.5 MM. We provide narrower saddle slots to fit Martins. We simply thin the wider pickups to fit the narrower slot and our latest PU is made to be thinned for easier installation.

I work with clients who wish to do the installations on their own and I need accurate numbers to make a saddle pickup that will fit their guitar. Unless it is a Taylor, which all have the same saddle specs and we duplicate their dimensions, I recommend people go on Amazon and acquire an inexpensive digital micrometer so the measurements are not estimated against a ruler.

As for the holes, we provide a drill guide and the right sized drill bit to make it easy.

I think evaluating sound is a selling point. But given the wide variety of opinions and perceptions by those who have never heard or played what we offer, having application specific products is a good way to fill a need and make it easier to abandon a system many are struggling with.

The Fishman side mounted systems are inexpensively made in China. Offering something better, for those who feel like its too much effort to contemplate dealing with a big cavity in the side, is welcome to many guitar owners.

It has to be recognized that most of the products you see discussed are made to satisfy a price point of no more than $25 to OEM installers. This is the limitation of most acoustic systems you see. The types of systems offered range from mikes, to passive top mounted transducers and lastly compressed under saddle pickups. The Chinese contractors are making these same side mounted parts and selling them in the aftermarket for as little as $30. We recently bought a knock off of a Baggs Elememt for $15 to evaluate, it is the same part.

Currently the focus in the market has returned to the top mounted transducer concept which is a feedback zone by its nature. It becomes even more of a feedback issue when combined with a microphone. we are moving the realm forward with our very different approach and not cycling back to Barcus Berry as a new concept.

Its not difficult too prove what we have and the end user will find out soon enough after they choose to try it. I feel accessibility to our sound is a good way to accommodate the needs of guitars.

We are selling so many system in South America now, to players who mostly use Fishman stuff. We have seen a major response to our new GoAA retrofit options.

Aaron reviewed or system after seeing Thom Bresh at CAAS in 2019. Thom was pretty vocal about what he thought and he did not agree with that review. Not long after Thom was featured in a Premier Guitar rig rundown and made a point of reviewing our system. He was so thrilled to be able to move the walls with his thumb and not fight feedback. Even competing against the always high vol. Johnny Hiland.

Last edited by conecaster; 03-25-2024 at 05:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification