The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2023, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Everse 8 "firmware update" frustration

This I what I really dislike about apps in general.

The other day our 'band" was practicing at a neighbor's place.

When I opened up the app for my Everse 8 I could not progress to the settings.

The "firmware update" which was very slow in loading basically shut off the amp.

The update time was indicated to be 60 minutes!

So I had to turn off my iPhone and dial in my settings manually.
Not so easy to perform...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Gabe
Old 12-14-2023, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
This I what I really dislike about apps in general.

The other day our 'band" was practicing at a neighbor's place.

When I opened up the app for my Everse 8 I could not progress to the settings.

The "firmware update" which was very slow in loading basically shut off the amp.

The update time was indicated to be 60 minutes!

So I had to turn off my iPhone and dial in my settings manually.
Not so easy to perform...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Gabe
They should allow us to ignore it but it didn’t take that long when I installed it. It was around 10 minutes.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I didn't know an update was available. I just did the update, took about 10 mins. Looks like the fixed the volume resetting to 0db after you turn it off issue.
Thanks for letting us know about this Gabe!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 12-14-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I didn't know an update was available. I just did the update, took about 10 mins. Looks like the fixed the volume resetting to 0db after you turn it off issue.
Thanks for letting us know about this Gabe!
How exactly DO you download the new firmware and update the Everse 8? I imagine there has to be some kind of cable connection, or is it a wireless update?
Old 12-15-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
How DO you download the new firmware and update the Everse 8? I imagine there has to be some kind of cable connection, or is it a wireless update?
Hey jpino, open the app on your phone, bluetooth connect to your speaker, and the app should have a message to update. It is done wireless, mine took about 10 mins.
I didn't lose any settings either

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 12-15-2023, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

I tried to download an EV update and my computer rejected the site due to bad security issues.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...
Old 12-16-2023, 08:17 AM

I'm going to bookmark this thread just on the remote chance that I ever seriously consider buying a speaker or amp that depends on an app. Maybe re-reading these posts will make me come to my senses.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I'm going to bookmark this thread just on the remote chance that I ever seriously consider buying a speaker or amp that depends on an app. Maybe re-reading these posts will make me come to my senses.
I don't want anything that requires my phone (or another device) to control it. I figure that if a company is looking for me as a customer that they will design their product to be self-contained with quick & easy access to functionality.

That was a good reason to avoid those Fender amps that used smartphone app control. There are a lot of those gathering closet dust now. The Spire music recorder, app controlled, is another product where the customer turned out to be the victim.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I don't want anything that requires my phone (or another device) to control it. I figure that if a company is looking for me as a customer that they will design their product to be self-contained with quick & easy access to functionality.

That was a good reason to avoid those Fender amps that used smartphone app control. There are a lot of those gathering closet dust now. The Spire music recorder, app controlled, is another product where the customer turned out to be the victim.
Hi Rudy, you can control the Everse on the unit itself, which is what I do at gigs. You push the master vol and it takes you to your settings and then can raise or lower the vol, eq etc. I never use the app at gigs. Actually once set for what you like, then it's just a matter of minor adjustments for the room. I gig 90-100 tines a year and haven't had any issues. IMO it's a well designed, good sounding portable unit.
Edit- If it was ONLY controlled by the app, I would look elsewhere.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Last edited by jricc; 12-16-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:58 PM

Manufactures should send out e-mails to customers when a firmware update is available. I only by chance clicked on this post. Thanks to the OP.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Hi Rudy, you can control the Everse on the unit itself, which is what I do at gigs. You push the master vol and it takes you to your settings and then can raise or lower the vol, eq etc. I never use the app at gigs. Actually once set for what you like, then it's just a matter of minor adjustments for the room. I gig 90-100 tines a year and haven't had any issues. IMO it's a well designed, good sounding portable unit.
Edit- If it was ONLY controlled by the app, I would look elsewhere.
Thanks, Joe.

I know some of these types of "Mini PAs" are difficult to access secondary functions on. The Everse sounds easier than some, but I'm also adverse to "menus". My preference is simple knobs, plus my eyesight makes it unpleasannt to use anything that requires being read or looked at.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Thanks, Joe.

I know some of these types of "Mini PAs" are difficult to access secondary functions on. The Everse sounds easier than some, but I'm also adverse to "menus". My preference is simple knobs, plus my eyesight makes it unpleasannt to use anything that requires being read or looked at.
Got it...Honestly I'm not thrilled with menus either.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 12-16-2023, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got it...Honestly I'm not thrilled with menus either.
If the interface on the EV 8 were larger and if the toy like knobs could be improved ......

I doubt that any real gigging musicians had any input on the design.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:33 PM

Just did a gig last night, it was a last-minute call so I was in a rush to set up. Tried to Bluetooth connect as usual and bam! Update REQUIRED! Had only 5 minutes before starting! FRUSTRATED! Couldn’t believe the timing!

Tried to operate manually which I never did before (didn’t even know how to access the menu). Hooked up, Everse reading inputs but no sound! Had to look up instructions on my phone. Meanwhile customers waiting. Could not figure out why no sound! Manager approaches, asking what’s the problem—-more stress! Finally dawned on me there must be a mute. Figured out how to get into menu. Sure enough there’s a mute indicator! Solved finally! Successful gig but really didn’t need the stress! Wish could bypass update!

That was last night, just updated it now—-10 minutes.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 03-25-2024, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Just did a gig last night, it was a last-minute call so I was in a rush to set up. Tried to Bluetooth connect as usual and bam! Update REQUIRED! Had only 5 minutes before starting! FRUSTRATED! Couldn’t believe the timing!

Tried to operate manually which I never did before (didn’t even know how to access the menu). Hooked up, Everse reading inputs but no sound! Had to look up instructions on my phone. Meanwhile customers waiting. Could not figure out why no sound! Manager approaches, asking what’s the problem—-more stress! Finally dawned on me there must be a mute. Figured out how to get into menu. Sure enough there’s a mute indicator! Solved finally! Successful gig but really didn’t need the stress! Wish could bypass update!

That was last night, just updated it now—-10 minutes.
Yes, that's extremely nerve-wracking. It's really inexcusable to not permit a postponement. And I love my Everse.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification