The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-30-2023, 08:36 PM

that makes sense. I was wondering if it could possibly be aftermarket.

Fits with the previous owner's style of adding fret "inlay" stickers.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 09-30-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
brainfertilizer,

I stand corrected about all nylons having a slotted head stock. That's good because slotted head stock is a big cost adder!

My X10 slimline with Krivo and Ghost pickup is really cool but intended to be a plugged-in amplified guitar while playing with a band.

I don't think the X10 Slimline Nylon will sound better acoustically than your X20 Nylon based on my experience with the steel string versions of both.

Btw, the video link didn't work. Follow the same procedure as with uploading pictures, but paste the link after clicking on the "Chain Link Icon".
I tried using the Youtube button. I don't see a chain link icon on YouTube. Do you mean the chain link with the globe here on this page?

I'll try that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyr54FYIU00
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-01-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
I tried using the Youtube button. I don't see a chain link icon on YouTube. Do you mean the chain link with the globe here on this page?

I'll try that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyr54FYIU00
Yes, that's what I meant and the link works. I have seen that demo and it sounds good, but he was plugged in to something. Not sure what though.

There must be a way to embed the YT video such that it appears in the post, but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe someone else on this forum can shed some light on me??
Old 10-01-2023, 08:09 AM

I played it this morning, and its tone is growing on me.

I also tweaked the truss rod and got the action a little lower without any buzzing.

But I'm still going to test the market value of it on Reverb. If I get enough for it, then I will swap out for another Emerald Nylon, and if I don't get enough for it, I will probably keep it.

Because it *is* just amazingly luxurious quality.

The only thing is, the bling matters less to me. I enjoy the depth of the quilted maple veneer, but what MATTERS to me is the tone and playability. So swapping this out for a plain black, dull finish nylon string that sounds more like a classical just makes sense to me...if I can pull it off.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-01-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant and the link works. I have seen that demo and it sounds good, but he was plugged in to something. Not sure what though.

There must be a way to embed the YT video such that it appears in the post, but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe someone else on this forum can shed some light on me??
Use the YouTube button and only paste the id part: Eyr54FYIU00

Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 10-01-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Use the YouTube button and only paste the id part: Eyr54FYIU00

Thanks for the instructions mm!
Old 10-02-2023, 10:43 AM

Default UPDATE!

I'm really getting confused.

Is it possible that strings loosen tension or sound better as they break in?

Becuase here's what's going on:

1) I tweaked the tross rod. I put the allen wrench in pointing toward the treble side, and rotated it back toward the bass string side. I did that 4 times, felt good resistance, and stopped.

2) It looked like the action was a litttle lower at the 12th fret, felt like it, too.

3) There was a bit of buzzing at 1st and 2nd fret, so I put the allen wrench in pointing toward the bass side and loosened it one time.

If I understand what I did (and I think I do, I'm not a luthier but I'm not a guitar newbie either), i was pulling the neck backwards, lowering the action, but that would increase the tension.

But the result was a slightly increased nylon/classical sound and slightly less tension.

So I tried drop D tuning, which of course lowers tension further, and thought it might sound better again.

Then I tried Eb standard tuning, and finally Dropped Db tuning. I was actually enjoying the sound at that point. But I couldn't leave it there: since I practice songs in E standard or Dropped D standard, the capo I was using was apparently not the correct radius, because putting it on makes some of the strings go out of tune.

When I went back to standard E tuning, I swear it was sounding more nylon-string-ish than it was before.

Aural Memory is inconsistent, as someone said elsewhere in a different thread about wood vs carbon fiber, but seems less likely in this case.

Does anyone have an explanation? Was I actually loosening the truss rod and reducing the back bow, and effectively reducing the tension? How does that fit with the apparently lower string action and buzzing at the 1st and 2nd fret until I went the other direction with the truss rod?

Anyway, I have a set of lower-tension strings on the way. I'll swap them out and see if that increases my enjoyment.

But it is getting to the point where I either keep it or swap it out for an X10 Slimline Nylon.

Maybe my ear is just getting used to its tone and picking out the nylon-like aspects better than the first time I tried it?

Thoughts?
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-02-2023, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm really getting confused.

Is it possible that strings loosen tension or sound better as they break in?

Becuase here's what's going on:

big clip….

Thoughts?
I can’t imagine that a truss rod tweak (tighten - your first example, or loosen - your second) would affect string tension enough that you would actually notice it while playing. If your strings were losing tension as they broke in, they’d be out of tune.

I suspect analysis paralysis is beginning to set in. I think you’re beginning to like it, but don’t quite understand why.

Not everything needs to be explained
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-02-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I can’t imagine that a truss rod tweak (tighten - your first example, or loosen - your second) would affect string tension enough that you would actually notice it while playing. If your strings were losing tension as they broke in, they’d be out of tune.

I suspect analysis paralysis is beginning to set in. I think you’re beginning to like it, but don’t quite understand why.

Not everything needs to be explained
Fair enough!

I think I have subconsciously begun to attack the strings a little more. Maybe. That might be emphasizing the nylon pop more.

Or maybe just mor analysis paralysis.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-06-2023, 03:46 PM

Default Happy Ending

Made an executive decision.
I'm keeping it.

I've played it enough to dig the tone.
The playability has always been good.
Sounds good to me amplified.

I was going to sell off a bunch of electric guitars anyway, so I guess I'll do that and see if I can get enough in time to grab the blue X10 Slimline Nylon.

Or maybe the black.

It's weird...I don't care about the bling when it's not available, i.e., Composite Acoustics.

But when bling is there...I really like that vibrant blue, and I guess I like it enough to pay $530 for it.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-07-2023, 06:42 AM

I think you made a wise decision to keep the one you have.

As a multi-Emerald guitar owner, I truly appreciate several of their models.

That said, I don't think an X10 Slimline Nylon will sound as full acoustically as your X20 Nylon and probably will sound very similar when plugged in.

Yes, the vibrant colors look brilliant on the website!!

I have a Vibrant Blue Harp Ukulele that's super fun to play but doesn't look as bright in standard room lighting. I spend a lot of time playing this Uke!
Old 10-07-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I think you made a wise decision to keep the one you have.

As a multi-Emerald guitar owner, I truly appreciate several of their models.

That said, I don't think an X10 Slimline Nylon will sound as full acoustically as your X20 Nylon and probably will sound very similar when plugged in.

Yes, the vibrant colors look brilliant on the website!!

I have a Vibrant Blue Harp Ukulele that's super fun to play but doesn't look as bright in standard room lighting. I spend a lot of time playing this Uke!
That's one of the other reasons I kept this. I know I like it. I don't know if I'd like an x10 slimline nylon. So if I swap them out and regret it, what then?

But if I save up enough to buy an X10 Slimline Nylon outright, then I can enjoy *both* for their individual strengths.

I mean, the X10 Slimline Nylon remains in their lineup for a reason. It can't be an objectively inferior model. So I assume there are other things about it that make it worth the price. If I had both, I could explore those differences. If I ended up loving the X10 sufficiently more, I can always sell the X20 later. Or if I just hate the X10 immediately, I could return it for just shipping (since it's an in-stock model).
Or maybe, in the meantime, one shows up used (and much cheaper) like the X20.

But the X20 has earned its place.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-07-2023, 06:57 AM

Here's a quick clip of my Emerald Harp Uke if anyone's interested.

It's not a guitar but it does have nylon strings and I think it sounds great!! It's also in Vibrant Blue to give an idea of how that color looks in standard room lighting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1myi...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by dgaemc2; 10-07-2023 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Updated content
Old 10-07-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
That's one of the other reasons I kept this. I know I like it. I don't know if I'd like an x10 slimline nylon. So if I swap them out and regret it, what then?

But if I save up enough to buy an X10 Slimline Nylon outright, then I can enjoy *both* for their individual strengths.

I mean, the X10 Slimline Nylon remains in their lineup for a reason. It can't be an objectively inferior model. So I assume there are other things about it that make it worth the price. If I had both, I could explore those differences. If I ended up loving the X10 sufficiently more, I can always sell the X20 later. Or if I just hate the X10 immediately, I could return it for just shipping (since it's an in-stock model).
Or maybe, in the meantime, one shows up used (and much cheaper) like the X20.

But the X20 has earned its place.
Nothing wrong with that strategy at all. I'm sure you would also like the X10 Slimline. I really like my X10 Slimline even though it is a steel string.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Here's a quick clip of my Emerald Harp Uke if anyone's interested.

It's not a guitar but it does have nylon strings and I think it sounds great!! It's also in Vibrant Blue to give an idea of how that color looks in standard room lighting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1myi...ew?usp=sharing
Beautiful!

I did consider the harp uke. I think the tone is exactly what I'm looking for: nice bass resonance, nylon strings, etc.

But I do too many jazz or jazz-influenced songs. I need more than 4 possible bass notes, and probably need the ability for chromatics on a low E string. If Emerald had a 6-string baritone ukelele..............

...I'm probably going to jump on the Outdoor Guitar soon. Probably the closest I'm going to get.
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, emerald, nylon acoustic, x20