The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Help needed - a list of gigging musicians

Hi. I need help from the AGF members

I'm creating a website that will list the tour dates (or upcoming gigs) for acoustic guitar players of all levels. Now, there are obvious additions (like Tommy E, Phil Keaggy, etc, etc). But I need a BIG list of musicians (of all levels) who play live shows that I can add. The musicians can gig only in one city or all over the world. They can be local musicians who will never be big time, or they can be Grammy winners.

My purpose? I often travel to various cities. I get there, I check various websites (citysearch, etc) and newspapers to find a good show I can go see. I often find that info is hard to narrow down. Then I find out I missed Pete Huttlinger at a small club because it wasn't listed there. Oh, rest assured someone like Britney Spears would be listed, but not a solo acoustic guitarist playing a small club. (I just use this as an example - not an actual scenario.) And there are some amazing guitarists out there that I would love to see - if I knew when to catch them. This will put a whole lot of acoustic musician's shows on one site, so it should be easier to indeed know when they are coming.

My site will include as many quality acoustic players as possible, and will include all of their upcoming shows (with links where applicable). Plus, the site will be searchable by Artist, state, city and date. So you should have no trouble finding out if someone will be performing near you the weekend you will be in "town X".

What I would like from forum members are names. Names of musicians you've heard of, or musicians you know - any gigging acoustic musician qualifies (including yourself, obviously). So you can reply to this with suggestions. Or you can e-mail me (my e-mail address is in my profile) with names. Once a good list is developed I will start researching their shows and hopefully have some version of it running soon after that.

I think this will be a nice site, that will be a benefit to both the artists as well as folks looking for a show. So, if the fine folks here at the AGF don't mind - please give me some names to include.

The only real rules are:
1) They must actually play live (even one day a month is fine with me - let's get them listed)

2) They must do (at least around 85% of the time or more) solo acoustic music (duo type stuff is fine, too). Fingerstyle, flatpicking, strumming and singing, pop, country, folk, Christian - doesn't really matter. Let's get them listed so folks will see them.

That's pretty much it. Let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions as this is a work in progress. How can I make the site more useful?

Thank y'all very much in advance! This will be a fun project.

Last edited by harlon; 09-07-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:39 PM

Well, most of my gigs are either duo or (occasionally) trio, but they're all 100% acoustic--and the house concerts and UU church services are usually totally unamplified. (The only times I play electric solidbody or bass are either in the studio or with my temple's klezmer band, and I don't list those as they are catch-as-catch-can). You can find my gigs--individual and collective--on my MySpace page, in my sig. file.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 PM

wow, sounds like a great idea... keep us posted with the URL and your progress as things start moving forward... likewise, when i travel, i'm always interested in finding some good music as well, whether it be at a local tavern or something bigger.

anyway, i play solo acoustic primarily in chicago, but also in the whole metro area including southeastern wisconsin.

my myspace page is in my signature with a list of my upcoming gigs.

best of luck
-don
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 AM

Well, what the heck, I'm game.

My website is in my sig and that's really the only thing I'm updating with calendar. Myspace has fallen by the wayside for me. I pretty much only use that to message various "friends".

I'm in the Bay Area (mostly the East Bay), but occasionally play up in Napa or in San Francisco.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 AM

If you want to list a female guitarist vocalist in N.E. Florida - my monthly schedule is always available by following the "calendar" link at my website :

www.elizabethroth.com

Thanks! E
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Well, most of the time I gig around DFW...I've tried to list them on "myspace".
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell