The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Default any feedback on B&G guitars

I've watched these videos often, the tone and looks grab my attention.
anyone have experience with any of the models they make?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5BSokD9h70

Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 AM

I haven't had hands on but they've stood out to me. They appear to be in the space where Collings, PRS and others are making good stuff that doesn't exactly follow tradition.

One bit of curiosity is if their top models are in that "how do humans make something so perfect" league Collings is in. If they're even close that's more support for my not caring if Gibson dies and might not go to heaven.

This is (I hope) going to be arm chair watching because I feel I'm set for life with a few nice guitars but I'm all for the success of this firm. It looks like they've got a nice combo of design, passion and quality going on.

Their address doesn't look very major corporation in an entertaining way.

https://goo.gl/maps/heMmHfbwgWm
Old 04-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine who owns literally hundreds of high end guitars. He swears by these. He bought 2, a P90 and dual Hum. This was back in there first year or two. He described B&G old world feel and sound. Their tone on the internet does have a ton of character. I wish I had one of the first year P90's. My friend has dozens of really expensive custom shop wood library PRS guitars. He has sent many emails prodding me to pull the $3,200 (back then ) trigger on these B&G. Never tried one. Yet I kind of am over short scale electrics. I have two and that's enough for me.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
A friend of mine who owns literally hundreds of high end guitars. He swears by these. He bought 2, a P90 and dual Hum. This was back in there first year or two. He described B&G old world feel and sound. Their tone on the internet does have a ton of character. I wish I had one of the first year P90's. My friend has dozens of really expensive custom shop wood library PRS guitars. He has sent many emails prodding me to pull the $3,200 (back then ) trigger on these B&G. Never tried one. Yet I kind of am over short scale electrics. I have two and that's enough for me.
They offer a Chinese-made version for $1400 or so.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:43 AM

The Guitar Magazine just had a few pages on the Asian production Little Sister with humbuckers. They loved just about everything: playability, sound including overtones, look, balance with the 14th fret neck joint. The only slight negative was that they'd have preferred the different wiring that the hand made ones have.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-20-2018, 10:49 AM

I love their sound and look, though Yoni Schlesinger could play a broomstick with rubber bands and make that sound good! Keep his B&G video doing Brothers In Arms in my rotation...
Old 04-29-2018, 07:26 PM

I have heard nothing but good things.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 AM

I played one at Chicago Music Exchange. Frankly, I thought the build quality was low for the price and I just didn't care for the feel at all. I think there are much better made guitars for that kind of money.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:18 PM

Saw a Little Sister 'in the flesh' over the weekend. Beautiful guitar. The store owner had it in a glass case next to a $30,000 ES, also in a glass case. Did not play it or ask to touch it. (or the Little Sister)
Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Old 04-30-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I played one at Chicago Music Exchange. Frankly, I thought the build quality was low for the price and I just didn't care for the feel at all. I think there are much better made guitars for that kind of money.
Interesting. Was it one of the handmade ones, or an Asian one? Can you be more specific about what you didn't like?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Interesting. Was it one of the handmade ones, or an Asian one? Can you be more specific about what you didn't like?

I didn’t know there were Asian models. This one was around $3k, so assume it was American. It was months ago, but I remember that the work around the f hole looked poorly done. It looked cheaply made for the price. I didn’t plug it in.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I didn’t know there were Asian models. This one was around $3k, so assume it was American. It was months ago, but I remember that the work around the f hole looked poorly done. It looked cheaply made for the price. I didn’t plug it in.
The non-Asian version is made in Israel, I believe. F-hole work sounds same as I received on a new Gibson ES - a blind guy with a magic marker drove that bus. I thought I bought a blem, but no, that's Gibson QC these days.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

So technically, they're all made in Asia. The handmade ones are in a small shop in Israel and the others are made in a factory in China.

I've had both.

The handmade one was very high quality and based on their videos and social media, they clearly are taking their time with each guitar and really ensuring they are works of art when they are done. Sounded and played great- humbucker model.

They make some of the hardware themsleves even, which is a really cool feature. I love the idea of the shape, neck access, etc. It could shred and really was a unique take on Les Pauls essentially, though with a lot of cool nuance but the tone harkened to that.

I got one of the first Crossroads models out of China and sent it back immediately. It was not a $1500 guitar IMHO, plain and simple. That's not to rag on it, but it felt cheap, just sorta blah sounding and playing and a lot of the charm of the Israeli-made version was gone. They sorta cloned it and dialed the quality back on all the parts, which almost wouldn't have mattered if they it hadn't made it all feel cheap, but it did. That's one man's opinion. I had a P90 version of this one and the pickups weren't very pleasing to me.

I am one man...someone else probably loves it and that's the beauty of this wide world of guitars, right? ;-)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
The non-Asian version is made in Israel, I believe. F-hole work sounds same as I received on a new Gibson ES - a blind guy with a magic marker drove that bus. I thought I bought a blem, but no, that's Gibson QC these days.

Yes. Now I remember seeing the made in Israel sticker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars