The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 PM

To the OP,dustinfurlow, my 12-fret Italian/mahogany Larrivee LS-03 got it's plastic pins immediately changed out to bone. Strange, huh? It sounded a lot better. I also, coincidently, made sure that they were unslotted, fit properly, and that the bridge was ramped.

I have since used unslotted Antique Acoustic pins as well as Stewmac Galalith pins in various guitars and found that it is the fit that makes the biggest difference, not the material.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:28 AM

More than one very serious Martin expert has told me that Martin does indeed use plastic for consistency....that's their primary objective. But a secondary consideration is in fact cost savings and the never ending availability of plastic. Martin is also well aware that most of their customers replace bridge pins anyway to suit their own aesthetic and auditory tastes.

I've always swapped out my pins, admittedly for cosmetic reasons. I'd like to think I can hear the difference between plastic and other materials but my guitar senses are just not that good to swear that's true. I just feel that a higher end guitar deserves equally higher end bridge/end pins. My two Martins look way better than I play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion