The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Wow. In some circles this is called a "zombie thread." I'm sure the OP has happily moved on to something better that fit his own tastes.

FWIW I think the MMV is a fine guitar and a great "bang fo the buck" alternative to every more expensive rosewood/sitka Martin out there. Everybody has their own opinion but I personally prefer the MMV over both the D-28 and HD-28. I compared an MMV against HD-28s in two different Guitar Centers and I'd have taken the MMV based on tone either time.

I wish I'd had the money though, but then again I also made the mistake of playing a D-28 Marquis Madagascar. I've been smitten, but it's even further out of my price range.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Default 12 days left on GC return policy

I hate to contribute to a zombie thread like this, but I'm gonna have to, since this is where I went to find out about my MMV. I bought it @ Guitar Center on 9/24, and I was NOT looking for this guitar. They had a used Guild D55 in there and I had a wagon load of low-end trade-ins and some cash to try to make a deal. I'd been plotting and planning how to get that D55 for about 2 weeks leading up to that. When the time came, at the very last minute (after about 2 hours of haggling over trade-ins), I noticed the MMV on the wall, listed about $200 less than the D55. I noticed the rosewood, ebony fretboard and bridge, nitro finish, and realized those materials don't usually come at that price. Then I played it for about 30 seconds, and went "WOW. Okay, best deal you can give me on EITHER OF THESE GUITARS."

Obviously, I got a better deal on the MMV, it was new, and listed lower to start.

Since then, I've been wondering, did I just lose my mind? A "no-name" GC custom model Martin over a D55? I've been trying to rationalize the thing, done my homework, called Martin, gone to other stores, played a bunch of other guitars, (mostly D28's since that's what people keep comparing them to), etc. Seems at first it sounded a little "thin." But every time I play the thing I keep getting the same "Wow" reaction. I know it's M&T neck joint, not a dovetail, and it's got A-frame bracing, both of which are "modern" (or unproven) developments for a Martin. But this is a great sounding guitar.

Of course, GC has that 30 day return policy, so I decided to go back and have another listen to the D55. I took the MMV with me to A/B them. When I got there I found they now had a used D28 hanging there (2009) at the same price as the D55!

So now my options are: used '09 D28, used '09 (Tacoma) D55, or new MMV (coincidentally also built in '09 if it matters). This is a good problem to have

I spent about 2 hours in the store A/B/C'ing those 3, and here are my conclusions:

1. D55 has the best action/playability, and the sound is classic Guild - very "open" sounding (scalloped braces) with lots of low end, and smooth glassy highs. Chords sound amazing.

2. D28 probably has the best overall tone for me, nice complex highs and lots of power and growl on the low end but with a tighter (non-scalloped) sound, bigger neck, than either of the other 2, and overall just a great guitar.

3. MMV comes in close second place on comfort/action, and I'd say a photo finish on tone. It's different than either the 28 or the 55, but not necessarily better or worse. I would describe it as a cross between Taylor and Martin - in that it has a similar top end, sparkly treble sound as Taylor's have, but the grit and growl and character of a Martin, only somewhat less than the D28. Also, maybe a little more open sound in the low end, then the super tight D28. Maybe the braces have something to do with it. A-Frame has very tapered braces, which go down to super thin around where the main X-braces meet the sides. And fewer tone bars.

Full disclosure, I did put in a bone saddle (had one laying around) and that definitely improved the tone. I also swapped out the factory strings for D'addario mediums, which seemed to give it some punch. I even experimented with different picks - amazing what a difference a pick can make.

But even with those minor mods, the MMV seems to be improving in tone the more I play it. I swear it's not my imagination. The low end used to sound like it was fighting itself, and now it seems to vibrate better and is *almost* up to the beefy growl of that D28. Is that possible in 2 weeks of playing? Also, the clarity of notes is just spectacular, single note runs sound amazing, and chords sounds really nice and balanced and not overpowering compared to the single notes. Reminds me how wine changes when you let it breath for a while. I know guitars can improve with age and whatnot, but I've never had a guitar open up like this in such a short timespan.

I have yet to pull the sticker off the pick-guard, but I did order some new bridge pins, so I guess you could say I'm committed.

...but I still have 12 days to go. I hope you all can relate. And for anyone wondering about MMVs and not really sure, you might want to try out different strings and picks. And give it a chance to breath. That goes for any guitar I guess.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 AM

I had a DSR for a while - very similar spec to the MMV in terms of bracing / woods etc. I did like the guitar and at first I was amazed at the sound for the price. As the months went by and despite tinkerings, I have to say I grew rather bored of the instrument. Now I am inlcined to do that a bit anyway - it is a weakness in me frankly. But in this case I found that the tone was a bit one-dimensional for me. Very approachable and instantly gratifying but not something that held my interest for the long term. This is just a personal reaction. Not really a slight on the guitar - it was just part of my journey in finding ourt my own personal taste. It was for me a bit like eating a nice sweety treat - immediately pleasurable but I couldn't live off it. Needed something with a bit more nutrition in it!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 AM

i like smaller guitars, so id keep the mmv. yours is new, so youd also have the lifetime warranty. as far as tone goes, its a smaller guitar, so its to be expected that it wouldnt have as much bass as the 28. i'd go with the mmv if playability and tone is what youre after. collectability is a different story, then i'd go with the guild; there are plenty of d28's out there, and plenty more built after we all die; its there most popular guitar, and you can always get one down the road if you really want one.
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Have you guys tried HD-MMV? It's MMV with scalloped bracing. It sounds really good.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Peebuddy View Post
i like smaller guitars, so id keep the mmv. yours is new, so youd also have the lifetime warranty. as far as tone goes, its a smaller guitar, so its to be expected that it wouldnt have as much bass as the 28. i'd go with the mmv if playability and tone is what youre after. collectability is a different story, then i'd go with the guild; there are plenty of d28's out there, and plenty more built after we all die; its there most popular guitar, and you can always get one down the road if you really want one.
Are you referring to the 000-MMV? The MMV is a dreadnought and IIRC is the same size as the D-28, the difference being the internal bracing, neck joint and various minor cosmetic differences. Personally I think the MMV has a better tone than the D-28 and even the HD-28. The reason being that the A frame bracing is structured in such a way that the lower bout is freer to vibrate. YYMV though.

FWIW I tried a 000-MMV recently. It's a nice guitar for the money but I'm reserving judgement since I have no GAS for a rosewood OM. OTOH I'd be curious to A/B one against an OM-21 or 000-28EC.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitslinger View Post
The MMV is essentially a D-15 model; it has A-X bracing. The 16 series has hybrid-X bracing which features scalloped braces, and includes two tone bars. The A-X bracing includes one small tone bar, with no scalloping.

I thought I liked the MMV too when I compared one to the other Martin models, including the HD-28. After test driving one for a month, I realized that it was nowhere near the guitar I thought it was. Though the MMV has a lot of bass, it lacks any real complexity in the sound, which is fine if you want to sound like you're playing country blues on a Stella, but for modern guitar work, the A-X bracing does not cut it, and truly puts the D-15 models, along with most, if not all of the custom models made for Musician Friend in the amateur class of instruments.
"The A-X bracing does not cut it for modern guitar work."

Interesting. My SWDGT has that bracing and held its own against all those high-falutin' D-18s, 28s, Scalloped braces and what-have-ya that I compared it to. In fact, in my very own, unhumble and completely subjective opinion, it kicked their butts and ended up the one I walked home with.

I'm not sure what "modern guitar work" is, but all I can say is the A-X bracing works well for music.

;-)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM

I just have to weigh in here. I purchased a MMV at my local GC this past weekend and got a great Labor Day deal.

I absolutely love the guitar, but from reading all of the discussions about the MMV vs D28 and D35 I prenegotiated with my salesman to offer the same discount if I chose to trade up to either of the other guitars.

I sat in the store with my MMV ($1,225 out the door), a HD-28 ($2,300 best deal), and D-35 (didn't get to pricing).

First, internally I cannot see any difference between the HD-28 and the MMV. Externally, I actually like the MMV better. I am not saying that all MMV's are nicer than HD-28's, but my interpretation of the grades of wood put my MMV as better than the HD-28 on all sides.

The HD-28 will have better $ value retention, has herringbone binding bone nut and saddle (very few can tell the sonic difference) and I admit I would like the bone, but not for $1,000 price difference.

I will give the HD-28 credit for the neck. I did like that neck the best.

Honestly, the only thing I liked more about the D-35 was the back. It is pretty, but again, not worth the $800 or so price difference.
As for sound, I honestly liked the MMV more than both guitars. It had a better bass response, which I personally like.

I would have had no problem throwing down the extra $1,000 if I thought there was any significant justification for it, but I just couldn't find it.

I walked out with my MVV and will have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Congrats huffman! You'll continue to fall in love.

Play everyday!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
I'm thinking that I want to avoid scalloped bracing. But, which under $1,500 Martin model will have the tone closest to the D-28?
A USED D-28

Sorry, not trying to be funny.

The D-28 has a different bracing pattern and neck joint than any of the lower cost Rosewood instruments from Martin.

I happen to really like the sound of the MMV, but it is a brighter more modern sound than the D-28 due to the difference in bracing.

The other downside to the MMV is the ugly gold hardware, but at least that's easy to change out.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 PM

To keep from starting a new thread......What does MMV stand for or mean with this Martin guitar?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
To keep from starting a new thread......What does MMV stand for or mean with this Martin guitar?
MMV=2005 in Roman Numerals. That's the year these guitars were first introduced.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGUY005 View Post
MMV=2005 in Roman Numerals. That's the year these guitars were first introduced.
Note that, with Richard58's most recent act of undeading, this thread has now been zombied V times since its original appearance on I-XVIII-MMVIII.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion