The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 PM

Yes, if you want that kind of attention then go for it, but people should be more careful.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
To me, that webpage is suspicious. It doesn't look like their authentic website. I'm a pressman so I have a pretty good eye for that crap....

What do others think about this.??
Not sure what you think is suspicious since it is their actual website and URL. Perhaps your eyes are going
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

No one at GC wants to deal with this expensive liability so they kick the can down the road.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I have to disagree. Knowing a guitar is structurally unsound and selling it without disclosing it or changing the condition isn’t lazy it’s dishonest
I agree that what Guitar Center is doing in this case is very dishonest and un-ethical...but...this Collings guitar in question is NOT structurally unsound just because it has a center seam separation or very slight center seam crack. The crack or separation on this guitar could stay the way it is right now for the rest of it's functional life, and never change, and the "issue" as it is right now will certainly not affect the tone quality, dynamic response/volume.

Unless that crack or separation were to widen or spread across the top at some odd angle, as it is now, it is mostly a minor cosmetic issue.

Still...GC should be honorable and ethical and disclose the issue.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
To me, that webpage is suspicious. It doesn't look like their authentic website. I'm a pressman so I have a pretty good eye for that crap....

What do others think about this.??
You must have used your other eye then

It's legit.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:30 PM

This kind of thing has happened to me a couple times with GC orders. It won't happen a third time. Not surprised they're circling the drain.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-20-2018, 11:45 PM
Guest 1511

This has happened to me with every single GC online purchase. I won't even look at their used stuff any more. I'm done.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:30 AM

I’d report it to the Better Business Bureau to give others a heads up down the line.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 AM

They had a Dove listed for a long time that showed in a picture the bridge was cracked all the way across and the pins were pushed flush in the holes...no mention of it being structurally unsound. Listed @ $2999.00. I don't know if they took it down or it sold...
Old 04-21-2018, 05:39 AM

OK.. Maybe someone made a mistake?

Defective items returned at GC are supposed to go to a "holding" shelf. That the operations manager checks in. They don't or shall I say, not supposed to place the item back on "floor" or for resale.

If you are inclined.. why not call the store manager and kindly let them know. I am sure they would want to remove it from the web site.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

I think it’s a double edged sword. On one hand it is definitely not honorable for a business to list a knowingly damaged item as in “ great shape”. On the other hand, GC has one of the best return policies around. So taking a chance is not a big risk, other then losing some time, and perhaps being disappointed.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 AM
Musical minimalist

What's also sad is that in the case of your Collings - I had sent them a note about 2 months ago letting them know they had it listed as a 12 string instead of 12 fret. They briefly answered my email, but never changed the verbiage.....not even when they re-listed it.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:33 AM

I feel bad for those folks that don't live near a music store so they can actually try out guitars in person and have to rely on online retailers. I guess I am blessed to have six music shops in my city with one that specializes in good used and new guitars.

The closest shop I can walk to for strings and picks. Along with Gibsons and Martin, they also carry the extremely high end Taylor guitars and are an official Taylor and Martin approved repair shop. If you want a $6000 relic Fender Stratocaster this is the shop for you. They also sell expensive grand pianos. This shop has been in operation for close to 70 years under the same family ownership. It's a 15 minute walk from my apartment.

Like I said I feel bad for people who are forced to buy online. Unless I can feel and hear a guitar I am not buying it.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:51 AM

With all the years of consistently negative experiences posted about GC, why is it that folks still trust them enough to buy a $2600.00 guitar sight unseen? Did you really think your experience would be any different? This makes absolutely no sense to me at all especially when there are plenty of independent stellar small shops to choose from!

Last edited by hifivic; 04-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
I think it's legit. Here's the real GC page for the used Collings guitars:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gu...=collings&Ns=r

Okay. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion