The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

All the talk about going out and playing a bunch of guitars is not going to do a beginner much good, and while I myself do not bond with Taylors, the guitar he is considering, if in good shape which it probably is, has every aspect a beginner needs, a great playing neck, terrific build quality, good looks, comfortable body size and a great price.

If it turns out he likes Martins better in a year or two, he won't loose a cent. Buy the guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 PM

Default buying first guitar... is Taylor 814 too much?

I would love a Taylor 814 but I wouldn’t recommend it as a starter guitar. If I were you I’d spend about $700 and buy a used Taylor 114ce. You’d get the same quality Taylor build. It will be very playable and give you everything you need and you’ll be able to sell it without taking a bad haircut. You’ll have plenty of time in the future to understand what you want before deciding on a really good guitar.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 PM

1600 is a great price for a top of the line guitar. GET IT!!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I would love a Taylor 814 but I wouldn’t recommend it as a starter guitar. If I were you I’d spend about $700 and buy a used Taylor 114ce. You’d get the same quality Taylor build. It will be very playable and give you everything you need and you’ll be able to sell it without taking a bad haircut. You’ll have plenty of time in the future to understand what you want before deciding on a really good guitar.
bad advice.

why would he spend 700 on a 114 (terrible price) when he could spend 1600 (amazing price) on an 814. he's getting much more value and will make a profit if he decides to ell it.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 PM

Just trying to keep this in perspective: if your son/daughter was about to take up violin and your spouse said, ‘let’s buy him/her a Stradivarius!’, would you vehemently agree or would you suggest a starter violin?
Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Just trying to keep this in perspective: if your son/daughter was about to take up violin and your spouse said, ‘let’s buy him/her a Stradivarius!’, would you vehemently agree or would you suggest a starter violin?

Get the best quality you can afford...always.
Better playing experience and better resale if needed
Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Oh my goodness.
Strads auction in the millions of dollars so that's hardly a legit comparison.

But, then again, considering how Strads seem to only go up in value ... I'd "vehemently agree" if I had that budget.
Investors of substantial means actually invest in Strads.
Musicians can't afford them.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 PM

If you've got the money to afford a really nice guitar then by all means do it.

Through the years I've been reduced to a 300 dollar Yamaha, which is a great guitar, but now I'm back into a Larrivee. When I play the Larrivee, it gives back to me. It takes me places that average tone won't. The nicer guitar has a distant future where the average guitar has just a future.

I think the only negative of buying the 814 is that you may, you might, bang it around a little if you are a true beginner. Put it on a stand where you'll look at it often, well away from other objects. Use a good strap. Carry it to your guitar stool, sit down, strap it on, and play. Enjoy. Unstrap, walk to stand, place guitar on stand and kiss it goodnight...

Buy what you can afford. No matter your skill level.

Last edited by 3notes; 04-20-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Maybe somebody has mentioned it as I haven't read the whole thread, but the care of an all solid wood guitar, regardless of the price, should be reviewed and learned by the op.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 PM

I was once told of a teenager who picked up the steel string guitar and her father bought her a Traugott! Obviously very diffeent expectations, but that goes tl show there is no such thing as a guitar that is too good to be your first guitar.

My first acoustic guitar was a seagull cedar/cherry solid top laminate bzck and sides guitar but my next one was a custom commissioned build from a luthier.

Perhaps yoi can try buying a good starter guitar witha solid top like the seagull and learn on that to establish your likes and dislikes, tone preferences
, size and design choices and aesthetic choices, ergonomic features, and even the kind of music you enjoy playing.

Then for your next guitar, you will be better educated through actual playing experience to begin to try out more expensive factory or boutique or solo luthier guitars by playing them to aee if you like them as the nsxt step.

Or you can go ahead to buy the Traugott ...
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 AM

Have it looked at by a guitar repair guy to make sure it is in top condition and if it is then buy it without a second thought. If you wind up selling it you would likely make a hundred to three hundred dollars on it depending on how fast you want to sell it. As many have already said, always buy the best guitar (or any musical instrument) that you can afford since it is better to "play into" rather than "play out of" an instrument. Yes, there are many inexpensive student model guitars to chose from, but they are not going to have the sound and playability that an 800 series Taylor will have. They will also usually wind up selling for less than you paid for them. Also, if you decide you want to keep playing guitar and want to move up in quality, sound, and playability you will lose money on each trade-up until you get to where you will want to be eventually - an 800 series Taylor is such an endpoint so you will save even more during that process by not having to pay for those steps up.

Taylor's 800 series is what Bob Taylor calls his "Flagship" models. They are exceptional guitars and ones that you will own for life if you decide you like playing guitars.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 04-21-2018, 12:47 AM

Definitely branch out from Taylor. Try some Martin or Takamine guitars.
Personally I like a traditional dreadnought shape since they sound really good for strumming and flatpicking. I'm not a huge fan of Taylor guitars for this reason. Although I do like the Koa Taylor guitars. That is a fantastic price for that guitar though.
There is nothing wrong purchasing an expensive instrument as a beginner as long as you can afford it. My first proper guitar was an American Standard Telecaster some years back. In fact I think it helps you commit to learning the instrument. It will also prevent the "my instrument is holding me back" line of thinking.
We live in a pretty great time compared to 20/30 years ago cheaper instruments are of a much higher quality than they used to be. Try lots of guitars.

If you do decide to purchase that Taylor make sure everything is okay with it.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
That comparison would be apt if OP was talking about purchasing a 1930s Gibson SJ-200.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
... the care of an all solid wood guitar, regardless of the price, should be reviewed and learned by the op.
Quote to emphasize.

Especially maintaining suitable steady humidity levels is essential for the health of the guitar.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-21-2018, 02:27 AM
Guest 1511

This seems to be another thread where we're debating amongst ourselves because the OP has left the building. Our opinions are like snowflakes on a hot tin roof, just flowing off into the gutter to feed the weeds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion