The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 02:19 PM

Default 60s songs - suggestions

I’ve been booked to play the 60th anniversary of an old fashioned ice cream and pizza shop. The owner has a 60s themed day planned. I’ve got plenty of 60s era tunes in my repertoire, but I’m always looking for more.

Any suggestions? Stuff that’ll sound good with one voice and one guitar?

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 02-21-2020, 02:39 PM

Sounds of Silence
Homeward Bound
Blowin’ in the Wind
Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright.
As Tears Go By
San Francisco
Rhythm of the Rain.
Younger Girl
Daydream
Hurdy Gurdy Man
One Tin Soldier
In My Room
Love Is All Around

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-21-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:53 PM

Anything from the Kingston Trio.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:57 PM
Guest 33123

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. 17 minute version. That'll teach 'em.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:08 PM

These are a few that I cover solo:

Pretty Woman- Roy Orbison
Heart Full Of Soul- The Yardbirds
House Of The Rising Sun- The Animals
Mr. Tambourine Man- Dylan
Feel A Whole Lot Better, Goin' Back- The Byrds
Dear Doctor- The Stones
Girl, Drive My Car, You Can't Do That- The Beatles
Pleasant Valley Sunday- The Monkees
Go And Say Goodbye, Kind Woman- The Buffalo Springfield

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-21-2020, 03:15 PM

Pretty much anything by the Beatles, the folksingers (Dylan, et al.), the Stones acoustic stuff. There's so much good stuff from the 60s, it's hard just to name a few.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:20 PM

A Little Help From My Friends has great sing-along potential
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-21-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Almost spit my water out
Old 02-21-2020, 03:28 PM

Only 16 - but it was released in 1959
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-21-2020, 03:42 PM

The Boxer Simon and Garfunkel
Angel From Montgomery John Prine
Both Sides Now... Pete Seeger version
Puff the Magic Dragon. PP&M
Bye Bye Love. Every Bro’s

Give those a shot
Old 02-21-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

One of my faves from the 60's is Walk Away Renee

https://www.google.com/search?client...alk+away+renee

And just about anything by CCR will work at a party
Old 02-21-2020, 03:54 PM

Bad moon rising
Touch Me by The Doors
Old 02-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Just start strumming the Oldies Chord Progression And hundreds of songs will pop into your head. C-Am-F-G. Or Switch up the key
G-Em-C-D. They did play 50’s songs in the 60’s so you can mix it up a bit.

Examples:
In the Still of The Evening
Blue Moon
Double Shot of My Babies Love
Earth Angel
Duke Of Earl
Runaround Sue
Take Good Care Of My Baby
You Send Me
Little Darlin’
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
Come and Go With Me
All I Have To Do is Dream
Peggy Sue
And on and on.

Add in a bit of Ricky Nelson and a couple of Beach Boys songs and your cooking

Good Luck & Have Fun,
Blues
Old 02-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post

I’ve got plenty of 60s era tunes in my repertoire, but I’m always looking for more.
The poster should list the 60s songs he already plays, so that duplication of material by suggestion from thread participants is prevented.

I play loads of 60s songs as solo acoustic instrumentals.

Some of the 60s songs I play on 6 and 12-string acoustic guitars:

Blowin' In The Wind (Composed by Bob Dylan; #2 US Billboard for Peter, Paul & Mary in 1963.)

Tuesday Afternoon (Penned by Justin Hayward; from the 1967 lp "Days Of Future Passed" by The Moody Blues. The single version went #28 US Billboard in 1968.)

Please Please Me (Written by Beatle John Lennon; first #1 song for The Beatles in the UK, 1963--depending on which record survey one consults; peaked at #3 US Billboard, 1964.)

My Love (A Tony Hatch composition. #1 US Billboard for Petula Clark, 1966.)

The Sounds Of Silence (Penned by Paul Simon. #1 US Billboard for Simon & Garfunkel, 1965.)

If I Fell (John Lennon said he wrote it, but Paul McCartney maintains that he and John wrote it together. Appears on the third album The Beatles released in the US, "Something New" and the lp "A Hard Day's Night," 1964. #53 US Billboard as B-side to "And I Love Her"--#12 US Billboard).

Ring Of Fire (Written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore. #17 US Billboard for Johnny Cash, 1963. #1 US Billboard Country for 7 consecutive weeks, 1963.)

Telstar (Written by UK independent record producer, Joe Meek. The first television pictures broadcast across the Atlantic on July 11, 1962, had inspired Joe Meek to create the instrumental as a tribute to the Telstar satellite. #1 US Billboard for the Tornadoes, 1962.)

(I'll Never Find) Another You (Composed by Tom Springfield. #4 US Billboard for The Seekers, 1965. Sonny James went #1 US Billboard Country with it in 1967.)

Walk Away Renee (Written by founding Left Banke band member and keyboard player, Michael Brown, when he was 16 years old. #5 US Billboard the The Left Banke, 1966.)

Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) (Lyrics adapted from The Bible's Book Of Ecclesiastes--music by Peter Seeger. #1 US Billboard for The Byrds, 1965.)

Cowgirl In The Sand (Written by Neil Young. First appears on Young's 1969 LP, "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere," recorded with his band Crazy Horse.)

(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me (Written by Gordon Lightfoot. #30 US Billboard for Peter, Paul & Mary in early 1965.)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (A George Harrison composition. From "The White Album" by The Beatles, 1968.)

Proud Mary (Lyrics and music by founding Creedence Clearwater Revival band member and lead singer/guitarist, John Fogerty. #2 US Billboard for Creedence Clearwater Revival, 1969.)

Daydream Believer (Words and music by former Kingston Trio member John Stewart. #1 US Billboard for The Monkees, 1967.)

Puff (The Magic Dragon) (Written by Peter Yarrow--lyrics and music--and Leonard Lipton, lyrics; #2 US Billboard for Peter, Paul & Mary in 1963.)

Apache (Composed by UK musician Jerry Lordan in 1960; first recorded version by Bert Weedon. Also covered in 1960 byThe Shadows as a B-side to "Quartermaster's Stores." In 1961, guitarist Jorgan Ingmann of Denmark went #2 US Billboard with it.)

California Dreamin' (Penned by John Phillips and Michelle Phillips. With The Mamas & The Papas as backup singers, Barry McGuire first recorded California Dreamin' in 1965. #4 US Billboard for The Mamas & The Papas, 1966.)

I'm A Believer: (Written by Neil Diamond. #1 US Billboard for The Monkees, late 1966-early 1967.)

Red Rubber Ball (A collaborative composition by Paul Simon and Bruce Woodley--original member of The Seekers. #2 US Billboard for The Cyrkle, 1966. Recorded July 10, 2005.)

Green Green (The first US Billboard Top 40 song by American Folk legends The New Christy Minstrels, and, indeed, this became their highest charting single ever, topping out at #14 in the summer of 1963; composed by Christy member Barry McGuire and group leader Randy Sparks.)

Five O'Clock World: (Written by Allen Reynolds. #4 US Billboard and #1 Canadian for The Vogues, 1966; #16 US Billboard Country for Hal Ketchum, 1992. Used as opening song for the second season of television's The Drew Carey Show, 1996-'97.)

A World Of Our Own (A Tom Springfield--brother of Pop singer Dusty Springfield--composition, originally recorded by the Australian folk group The Seekers whose version topped out at #19 US Billboard during the summer of 1965. A cover arrangement by American Country Music superstar Sonny James reached #1 US Country Billboard in 1967.)

There's A Place (The very first track The Beatles ever recorded specifically intended for an album. Recorded in 10 takes on February 11, 1963, for the group's UK debut LP release, "Please Please Me." A John Lennon-Paul McCartney composition that when eventually released in the US in 1964, climbed to #74 on the Billboard Pop charts.)

Eight Days A Week (#1 US Billboard for The Beatles, 1965. First appears on The Fab Four's UK-released album "Beatles For Sale"--also included on the US LP "Beatles VI." Often attributed to Paul McCartney alone, though many believe that is was indeed a genuine Lennon-McCartney collaboration.)

Nights In White Satin (A Justin Hayward composition, recorded with the London Festival Orchestra; first appears on the Moodys' 1967 album, "Days Of Future Passed," then released as a single in the Fall of 1972. Went #2 US Billboard for two consecutive weeks.)

The Letter (#1 US Billboard for The Box Tops, 1967. Composed by Wayne Carson Thompson. Covers by The Arbors and Joe Cocker went #20 and #7 US Billboard during Spring 1969 and late Spring 1970, respectively.)

White Rabbit (Written by Grace Slick--real name Grace Barnett Wing--around 1965 or '66 when she was with a band called The Great Society. She brought the song over with her to Jefferson Airplane. "White Rabbit" went #8 US Billboard in the summer of 1967.)

I Call Your Name (A John Lennon composition. First appears on The Beatles' 1964 US-release LP, "The Beatles' Second Album" and then later on a UK ep called "Long Tall Sally." Before Lennon recorded "I Call Your Name" with The Beatles, he had actually given it to Billy J. Kramer of The Dakotas, who released it as the B-side to their hit "Bad To Me"--a Lennon-McCartney collaboration. "I Call Your Name" was also covered by The Mamas And The Papas on their 1966 LP, "If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears.")

On Broadway (Composed by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil in collaboration with Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The Drifters' version went #9 US Billboard in 1963. A cover by George Benson placed #7 US Billboard in the Spring of 1978.)

Solitary Man (A Neil Diamond composition. #55 US Billboard for Neil Diamond, 1966--then, #21 US Billboard for Neil Diamond in 1970.)

San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair). A John Phillips composition. #4 US Billboard for Scott McKenzie, 1967.

Holiday (Penned by Barry and Robin Gibb. #16 US Billboard for The Bee Gees, 1967.

Help Me, Rhonda (A Brian Wilson-Mike Love composition. #1 US Billboard for The Beach Boys, 1965.

The Lonely Bull (Cmposed by Sol Lake. The first commercial chart success for Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass; went #6 US Billboard, 1962.)

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (A Gene Clark composition. From the 1965 album "Mr. Tambourine Man" by The Byrds. The single 45rpm track--flip-side to "All I Really Want To Do" by The Byrds--hit #103 US Billboard, 1965.)

It Hurts To Be In Love (A Howard Greenfield-Helen Miller composition. #7 US Billboard for Gene Pitney, 1964.)

I Am A Rock (Penned by Paul Simon. #3 US Billboard for Simon & Garfunkel, 1966.)

Eight Miles High (Original Byrds member Gene Clark is the primary writer, with Roger--the artist formly known as Jim--McGuinn and David Crosby; climbed to #14 on the US charts in 1966.)

The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh) (Composed by Solomon Linda, Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore, George David Weiss, and Albert Stanton. #1 US Billboard for The Tokens, 1961.)

My Back Pages (A Bob Dylan composition. #30 US Billboard for The Byrds, 1967.)
Old 02-21-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post

Now that got me to laugh out loud!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion