The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Default NGD disappointment - Eastman AC322ce

I own two Eastmans (E10OM & E10D) and have played several in the AC line that I've liked very much for the modern/fingerstyle form factor. So when I saw an AC322ce with Anthem SL on the cheap I bought it and had it shipped across the country.

Well, it was a dud. Pickup was non-functional, neck was humped at the body joint causing fret buzz on the first two strings. Beyond that, it just sounded dead. Not like old-strings dead, but more like cheap-overbuilt-import dead. I do not fault Eastman for this. It was clearly an abused guitar and my guess is that it had some internal fiddling done at some point. Maybe reglued braces? There was actually a big glob of some sort of soft glue like from a hot glue gun just inside the sound hole. Sad.

Thankfully it was a GC purchase so I just brought it back to the sales desk and they refunded my money.

The worst part of all is that the shop had a used Furch Rainbow (top line) super jumbo hanging on the wall. Oh my gosh. Never played a Furch before but that thing was monstrous. Big piano trebles, clear expansive low end. I was looking for a CHEAP modern fingerstyle guitar to add to the collection, but now I can't get the Furch out of my mind. . .
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 02-21-2020, 11:21 AM

A year ago I was excited to find a local dealer that had exactly one Eastman guitar in stock - and it happened to be the model I was wanting to try out, an AC422ce. When I went to try it out I found it to be what I'd consider overbuilt. It just didn't really have any resonance to it. Even a low end Breedlove I tried sounded better.
I still can't help but think it was just one of the few duds that made it out. They get such good reviews, and sound really good in the youtube videos I've seen. I think in both of our cases its just a matter of they're hand built instruments made of wood, so no two will ever be exactly the same. The quality for any given instrument probably falls somewhere on a bell curve. This is why I will not buy a wooden acoustic guitar without playing it first, or having a no questions asked return policy.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
The worst part of all is that the shop had a used Furch Rainbow (top line) super jumbo hanging on the wall. Oh my gosh. Never played a Furch before but that thing was monstrous. Big piano trebles, clear expansive low end. I was looking for a CHEAP modern fingerstyle guitar to add to the collection, but now I can't get the Furch out of my mind. . .
So if I'm hearing you right, you went to Guitar Center and really wanted to get the Furch out of there?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:06 PM

I was eating lunch at a truck stop diner with my grandfather yesterday when I overheard a young waitress talking to a trucker at the counter. First thing I heard her saying was that she graduated HS early so she could work full time for six months before joining the military. So I was immediately impressed. Then she said something about disappointments that stuck with me and demonstrated wisdom beyond her age.

To paraphrase the wise waitress, she said one can either choose to dwell on the disappointments in life and end up with a life full of disappointing experiences or one can choose to learn from those experiences, make something positive out of them, such as taking advantage of new opportunities that come about as a result, and then the disappointing experiences actually turn into positive experiences and you'll look back on a life full of positive experiences.

Seems to me the Furch is what you should focus on. Lol.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsawaggin View Post
So if I'm hearing you right, you went to Guitar Center and really wanted to get the Furch out of there?
Hahaha! Rofl

Hope OP can scrap the $$ to get that Furch.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
A year ago I was excited to find a local dealer that had exactly one Eastman guitar in stock - and it happened to be the model I was wanting to try out, an AC422ce. When I went to try it out I found it to be what I'd consider overbuilt. It just didn't really have any resonance to it. Even a low end Breedlove I tried sounded better.
I still can't help but think it was just one of the few duds that made it out. They get such good reviews, and sound really good in the youtube videos I've seen. I think in both of our cases its just a matter of they're hand built instruments made of wood, so no two will ever be exactly the same. The quality for any given instrument probably falls somewhere on a bell curve. This is why I will not buy a wooden acoustic guitar without playing it first, or having a no questions asked return policy.
That's surprising, even considering my most recent experience be. Every new Eastman I've played was at least a decent guitar. But maybe you're right. Duds certainly occur in every shop
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 02-21-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsawaggin View Post
Oh man I SO wanted that Furch. It reminded me of the old breedlove Ed Gerhard Jumbo's from the 90s. Such a huge sound
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 02-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Well, my Eastman AC122ce is just great for the price, though the pickup is a crap
(as on my Alvarez AP) both bought brand new for 600$CAD.

But the guitar itself plays great. I have to say I bought it in a local reputated
boutique and the luthier did kindly adjust it to my requirements. It is not shy
besides my midlevel Guild, Larrivées, Gibsons, Martin and Taylors.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
Oh man I SO wanted that Furch. It reminded me of the old breedlove Ed Gerhard Jumbo's from the 90s. Such a huge sound
Never tried a Furch I did not like. Get it while you can.
I have a custom Martin ordered for July, but a Furch Yellow G 23 might become available this week.........you only live once.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-21-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Aren't the Rainbow Furches very expensive, even with used discount? I thought that was why the OP didn't grab it. I assume $1000 over the Eastman.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:56 PM

Every brand has a few bad ones. You can bet that those units are coming to the US via sea container mainly. You can also bet on those containers not being climate controlled. A month ++++ on the ocean or a dock backing in the sun in a sea container thats over 100F inside will change an instrument.. The only brand I will take a risk on like that is Eastman.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Aren't the Rainbow Furches very expensive, even with used discount? I thought that was why the OP didn't grab it. I assume $1000 over the Eastman.
Yup, 1500 over. Not in the cards right now, unfortunately
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 02-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Assuming the OP is in VA, GC has it listed online under "fair" condition. So glad they didn't place it back out and try to call it "excellent."
Old 02-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
Uh oh. JUST when I was about to order a 422CE.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:40 PM

You will find dud Eastmans....sorry Eastman fans

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion