The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2020, 08:12 PM

Default Anyone gigged with an electric guitar amp?

Actually, when I plugged my Yamaha guitar into an electric guitar Laney 30w amp, for the first time I liked the tone of it. Paradoxically, I can hear the "wooden acoustic" aspect of the guitar while it was all "metallic" sounding up till now when I was plugging straight to a PA via acoustic preamp. Reverb on that amp especially shines, and I was never able to dial a good reverb before, whether on a processor or mixing board. Now, I'm thinking of bringing it to stage with me, as it's a rather small amp. Anyone had a similar experience?
Old 02-20-2020, 08:34 PM

Once a year we do a show where our lead guitar player swaps back and forth between acoustic and electric guitar using a Fender tube amp. Sounds great in a full band situation.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 PM

I have done it occasionally, when I needed an amp and that was all I had. It was an old Peavy Bandit 65, which is a pretty clean-sounding solid state amp. I didn't need to be terribly loud. It worked just fine.

TBH I think the pickup in the acoustic, and possibly your pedalboard, if you have one, will make just as much difference, although you'll probably get widely varying results from different amps. Some electric amps may sound great with a certain acoustic guitar/pickup, others not so much.

YMMV.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:50 PM

Most guitar speakers don't reproduce much above 4KHz, which can be a good thing if your pickup's got an unpleasant top end.

Couch Standards
Old 02-21-2020, 04:23 AM

I always liked the way my Yamaha AC3R sounded through a 12" Vox Night Train combo. I say go for it; there are no rules that say a bass can't be played through a PA with an 18" sub, or an electric guitar can't be played through FRFR speakers and a pedalboard. So who says you shouldn't play an acoustic electric through an electric guitar amp?
Old 02-21-2020, 06:04 AM

40 yrs ago, electric guitar amps is all we had. Acoustic guitars sound great through a Fender Twin Reverb. Nowadays, the speakers in the these modeling amps are full range.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Nowadays, the speakers in the these modeling amps are full range.
I hadn't taken modeling amps into account when I said that, so you may be right. Although I'd think that if the goal was to emulate guitar amp sound, why not use a speaker that sounds like a guitar amp?

Here's a thread from a Line 6 forum -- scroll down a ways and you can see a frequency graph.

https://line6.com/support/topic/2400...-cut-settings/

Couch Standards
Old 02-21-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Cool Older Pickups and a Twin Reverb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
40 yrs ago, electric guitar amps is all we had. Acoustic guitars sound great through a Fender Twin Reverb. Nowadays, the speakers in the these modeling amps are full range.
Seems to me that the older style pickups were much better sounding through an electric guitar amp...

I remember when I got my first "Barcus Berry" pickup and subsequently, my FRAP, I loved the sound of it through my old '59 Fender Pro...

Did a gig in the mid-late 80's, filling in for a friend... and his Twin Reverb was already at the venue, so I just plugged my guitar in the reverb channel and my mic in the normal channel... played the entire gig that way, sitting on that Twin (kept my butt warm, too!). Volume levels were quite low and I had no issues to speak off, save for a few drunken patrons...

My current pickup, the Anthem SL, doesn't sound very good through one of my electric guitar amps... I much prefer playing and singing through my AER Compact or my Bose rig...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-21-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

i got this one which has an acoustic setting. haven't really experimented with it much as i have an aer 60/3 and qsc 10's. i bought it to play around with a telecaster without breaking the bank. also has a headphone jack which is nice.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cosm-combo-amp
Old 02-22-2020, 01:51 AM

I combine acoustic tones with electric tones. The XLR output of my Grace preamp goes to the Schertler rig, the 1/4" out goes to the Princeton Reverb.

The Schertler Rig and Princeton Reverb, along with my Gretsch 6120 and Parkwood LE061

The Grace preamp (also Keeley Delay Workstation, Wazaceaft Tuner, Tapestry Bloomery Volume Pedal)
Old 02-22-2020, 06:31 AM

Generally i would say no.Acoustic guitars dont usually sound good through
an electric guitar amp
Electric amp speakers are generally
very midrange centric. which is really
what is generally cut with a parametric
eq on an acoustic guitar. So the very thing we try to
get rid of on an acoystic is the very thing that is accentuated on an electric amp.
That being said ive used a roland
jazz 120 (rivet) model on my stomp
that sounds good enough id try the real
thing given a chance.. I also use their
placator dirty model with a greenback cab for crunchy leads. But
this bears no resemblance to an acoustic guitar...

Last edited by varmonter; 02-22-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've played gigs in small venues with a Fender Princeton (tube model, not the solid state) and my Martins w/K&K's sounded great. However.....because the gain tends to be higher from the get-go with most amps designed for electric guitars, feedback can be a major issue.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:16 PM

I have a Princeton Reverb circa 1972 or so I think. I will sometimes run a line out from my red eye into the Princeton and then XLR into the mixer. Sounds very cool through the system. Guitar is a 000-42 Martin with K&K pick up. I get a kick sometimes playing my Martin direct into the Princeton. Nice big sound. But maybe not the ideal acoustic sound. But very interesting nonetheless.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:19 PM

I dug around looking for info on his rig at one point and found an old post where someone stated Todd Scheaffer uses some type of old Silverface Fender with Railroad Earth. If you haven’t seen them, I highly recommend it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification