The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Yeah - on top of that last part, Adam bought one of the premier lumber suppliers to the luthiery industry, so they've got a nice little integrated model going.

The 2 new styles they launched at NAMM are a J45 style known as the DF (Dale Fairbanks) and a J185/Small Jumbo style the AB (Adam Buchwald) and the original is the OG (modled loosely on an LG) and the 2nd model is the CH (disgracefully named after some tall dufus with zero skills whatsoever) is essentially a slope shoulder Martin 0-17, a little cannon.
I think this partnership is something to watch. Iris guitars are selling for $2,000! They sound good in the videos I’ve heard and they now have 4 models. Time for a road trip.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

OP here. Thanks for all the suggestions.
David
Old 02-21-2020, 12:49 PM

I've heard the angels singing: Yahara Guitars (Madison, Wisconsin)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I think this partnership is something to watch. Iris guitars are selling for $2,000! They sound good in the videos I’ve heard and they now have 4 models. Time for a road trip.
Unfortunately, as one waiting for another Fairbanks, it seems to have stalled Dale’s build schedule.

Another builder to check out is David Flammang, who just delivered a guitar to Jorma and one of the other members of his band.

Matt Arcara, who shares space with John Slobad is also a builder whose prices are still affordable.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

It depends what you are into.

https://www.preservationguitar.com/

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-21-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
Check out Northwood guitars. Mid 2k-3k price by luthier John McQuarie. Shoreline Music has some great video examples of them.
Seconded, John is a master.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Yeah - on top of that last part, Adam bought one of the premier lumber suppliers to the luthiery industry, so they've got a nice little integrated model going.

The 2 new styles they launched at NAMM are a J45 style known as the DF (Dale Fairbanks) and a J185/Small Jumbo style the AB (Adam Buchwald) and the original is the OG (modled loosely on an LG) and the 2nd model is the CH (disgracefully named after some tall dufus with zero skills whatsoever) is essentially a slope shoulder Martin 0-17, a little cannon.
I for one am very interested in the idea of the DF. The OGs sound good in the videos, so am going to wait a while. I was tempted to pull the trigger on an Atkin 43, but will see what an Iris slope sounds like first.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
I for one am very interested in the idea of the DF. The OGs sound good in the videos, so am going to wait a while. I was tempted to pull the trigger on an Atkin 43, but will see what an Iris slope sounds like first.
In the pics, you can see the DF sunburst - that’s Dale’s specialty and one of his favorite parts of the build process.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:27 PM

For my money,

CC Huang and Theunis Fick who are recent graduates from the Galloup school with some of the highest marks in their cohort.

Theunis is helping out at the Casimi shop as well.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:36 PM

Like to put in the good word for David Flammang. My Roy Smeck 12 fret dread just knocks me over every time like its the 1st time I tried it. Played 2 or 3 other Flammangs and they were just fantastic. I think David MacCubben out of Catonsville, Md also belongs on this list. He brought a couple of his guitars to a DC area AGF gathering a few years back that were wonderful. The ones I played and heard at the 1st Artisan Guitar show in Harrisburg were terrific too. Robin Bullock played them in a showcase. Beautiful.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Not well-known? Radar, whats that? None better than Nick Appollonio in Maine. He has made well over 1000 instruments, including some for several famous people but keeps his prices WAY down. His specialty is multi-coursed instruments, but he does all sorts of other things.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Jake Robinson, in Wellston , Mi. Got a deal in a used one. Found out he lives about 40 miles south of me. Met the man. saw his shop, and played more of his guitars. Last I knew, his Brazilian builds started out at $6000. I've never played a finer guitar, before or since. can't see myself ever parting with mine.

Here's the link: https://robinsonguitars.com/

Here's mine. I made the arm rest.

SANY0016.jpg

SANY0022.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion