The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 07:00 PM

Curiously no one is commenting on how it sounds plugged in at a live venue.
I suppose because LR Baggs Element VTC's are rather widespread.

I think folks should also consider the live aspect behind producing the "higher end" electric versions of this guitar. I'd rather beat up one of these vs. a more expensive guitar. Just a thought.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 02-20-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I have a Wee Lowden in alpine and Chechen. It certainly does not sound like a small guitar. It’s voice projects, not like an F size guitar, but it’s focused and projects well. Most people who pick it up hold onto it for quite a while. Generally it’s not given up voluntarily.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:52 AM

Honestly I thought it sounded fine for what it is, a small bodied guitar. The first jazzy piece sounded OK, the "swimming song" not really, but I doubt if anyone choosing this guitar is going to be playing like that anyway. It reminded me a little of a Larrivee parlour I used to own. The question really is, how does it compare to other similar small bodied guitars for value?
These guitars and the George Lowden Ed Sheeran partnership have certainly created quite a stir, it will be interesting to see what happens a few years down the road.
Personally, I think perhaps people are expecting a bit too much from a small guitar because of the Lowden name and the price. Unfortunately, I think this may work against them in the future.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I posted this in the other thread that's going on here.

I went to Music Zoo yesterday and they only had the W on display. It was the first guitar I tried. It's well made and it has minimal finish. I sounded kind of nice.

Next I picked up a new Martin 00X with the hardwood neck, fretboard, and bridge. It has that same minimal finish as the Sheeran. It cost less than half as much as the Sheeran and it sounded fantastic compared to it.

Next; a Martin Road Series 000. You can get this one for less than the Sheeran just for asking. It's beautifully finished and it made the Sheeran forgettable.

Next the Yamaha TS that costs 100 or so less than the Sheeran. They play beautifully and sound great. It made me realize that nobody who tries the Sheeran before buying would pay over $1000 for it.

I didn't even try the Dread Jr or GS mini. Both cost half that of the Sheeran and would play circles around it.

So my conclusion was that the Sheeran W model makes no sense at all.

And that as soon as the Yamaha LJ-16's are back in stock at Music Zoo, I'm running over there to buy one!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
I'd rather beat up one of these vs. a more expensive guitar. Just a thought.
Just my own opinion, I'd rather beat up a GS Mini than a more expensive Sheeran. I'd also rather play one and hear one.

Couch Standards
Old 02-21-2020, 10:45 AM

Again, just me, but I like Ed Sheeran. I'm a fan. And I have to wonder what his take is on all this. I mean, he has to have known for quite a while now that this whole project has been a bust, right?

Couch Standards
Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Again, just me, but I like Ed Sheeran. I'm a fan. And I have to wonder what his take is on all this. I mean, he has to have known for quite a while now that this whole project has been a bust, right?
He's said from the get-go that his intent was to get guitars into the hands of young players. If these guitars accomplish that, no matter how we think they sound, then it's no bust.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
He's said from the get-go that his intent was to get guitars into the hands of young players. If these guitars accomplish that, no matter how we think they sound, then it's no bust.
I remember the getgo. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 02-21-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I also like Ed Sheeran. I like his music and his attitude. But he plays through one of the most sophisticated, computerized sound systems in the business. It wouldn't matter if he was playing a Telecaster, a Somygi, or a 99 dollar Yamaha. It would all come out the same.

I lost interest in the Sheeran's last year when I played the Lowden S model that the Sheeran S is based on and wasn't impressed. I think they need another model based on the bigger Lowden's so they can get some acoustic sound out of the thing.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Just my own opinion, I'd rather beat up a GS Mini than a more expensive Sheeran. I'd also rather play one and hear one.
In fact, so do I. My practice rig setup includes a mini with a JJB Prestige 330.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24

---------------------
Old 02-21-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I also like Ed Sheeran. I like his music and his attitude. But he plays through one of the most sophisticated, computerized sound systems in the business. It wouldn't matter if he was playing a Telecaster, a Somygi, or a 99 dollar Yamaha. It would all come out the same.

I lost interest in the Sheeran's last year when I played the Lowden S model that the Sheeran S is based on and wasn't impressed. I think they need another model based on the bigger Lowden's so they can get some acoustic sound out of the thing.
It’s actually not that complex. MIDI controller to an interface then a laptop where the guitar and vocal channels are split for each loop (guitar, drum, guitar/vocal, vocal only I believe). Then each loop gets its own mixer channel so it can be mixed and EQ’D real time. I have a similar setup. As far as I know the only effects are compressors and reverbs.

It’s why his electric sounds completely different (like during Thinking Out Loud) than his acoustic sound live.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24

---------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion