The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 AM

I use a Bose S1 pro, with its back pack; that has a compartment on top for cords and a pedal or two. For instance, I put my mic, with cords, and a Boss VE-8 in the top and it fits. There is nothing as light, compact, and good sounding as this. Don't let the size fool you.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:16 AM

I have an S1 pro and the LB Artists.

The S1 needs help imho, to get it to sound as good as the Artist straight in.

The eq on the S1 is a bit too bare bones to offer much help for every guitar I use with it ime.

given this is just my 2 cetns, The Artist is a bit more plug and play if one doesn't have any signal processing plans.

The bose s1 is a great little package tho,
Old 02-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Ill giva a shout out for
eae products. I have a d68 mk2
and the sound is stellar. its small
has a digital mixer incorporated
into the box. Its a tad heavy
at around 25 lbs. mostly becsuse
the cab is mdx. 80 watts. they also
have a 120 watt. d6-58.. the sound is great.
I use it as a mini pa on a pole when
i do solo acts in small
clubs. alot of amps like the aer
dont sound good for vocals.
These aer amps do.. The fx are good as well.
http://www.eliteacoustics.com/portfo...c_amplifier-2/
Old 02-21-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't know of an amp that produces better high-quality sound (with FAR more output than one would expect from a solid-state 60 watt, one speaker amp!) than the AER Compact 60.

I have a version 2 (are they on version 4 now?) that I purchased used, some years ago. I don't get the chance to use it all that much, but every time I have, I've been knocked out by both my vocal and guitar sound.

Mine weighs in at about 13 #'s, but once I stuff the carry case pockets with a mic and cord, and a guitar chord and tuner, it's more like 17#'s... I got the little "tilt ramp" gizmo that AER makes for it, and I would definitely recommend it. When the amp is on the floor, it produces more bass than when elevated, and the tilt-thing lets me position the amp on the floor but kicks up the dispersion nicely...

I play 6 and 12 string steel stringed guitars; don't know whether your nylon-stinged instrument would be different or not...

The AER Compact 60 = HIGHLY Recommended!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-21-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Fishman Loudbox Artist...
My thoughts, too. I tried one at a local GC (Bluetooth model with the better covering), and compared it side-by-side to the Mini (no contest the Artist wins, hands down). But I do have to wonder about whether it'll hold up with an "average drummer". IMO, the average drummer is a bang-boom-bop player. With a good drummer with good dynamics, maybe. I didn't put a vocal mic through it, though, and that's where many "acoustic amps" fail for me.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
+ 2 for the Fishman Artist. I was going to say the Fishman Mini but with the Artist you get a little more power in an only slightly larger and heavier amp that is still easy to transport. But the biggest reason for the Artist over the Mini (and the reason I sold my Mini to buy an Artist) is that the Artist has phantom power which will power your Red Eye.
And more flexible outputs, and two combo channels, 3 band EQ on both channels, more control over FX, dual FX processors, dual FX loops (for externals)larger driver, more headroom, separate phase for each channel, pad for each channel, ... the Artist isn't a Mini on steroids, it's a different amp.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

If you can get your hands on a used Phil Jones / AAD amp.....they deliver the most natural sound that I ever heard from an acoustic amp....and I‘ve heard virtually everything on the market and have owned many of them.

It‘s a pitty, they are on longer in production.
Composite Acoustics GX Aura
Takamine TAN77
--------------------------------------------------
Old 02-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Whether it's actually 1100 watts or nor, my DXR10 can be whisper quiet, and can blast loud enough to deafen a crowd of 200 people with crystal clear, transparent sound reproduction.

There are amp guys and there are FRFR guys.

Just like there are those who swear by this mic or that.

If budget isn't a problem I'd suggest buying one of each (amp and powered speaker) at the same time and A/B them. Return the one you don't like as much.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsLars View Post
If you can get your hands on a used Phil Jones / AAD amp.....they deliver the most natural sound that I ever heard from an acoustic amp....and I‘ve heard virtually everything on the market and have owned many of them.

It‘s a pity, they are on longer in production.
I agree, best, smoothest sounding acoustic amp ever imho - unfortunately needing to sell my Phil Jones AAD Super Cub. OP can check it out here if interested: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...09#post6298909

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification