The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2020, 10:42 AM

Default Session Pedal: Before Venue or in Loop?

As the title says, just curious for thoughts on the Align Series Session Pedal (not the Session DI) and if you'd place it before the Venue or in its loop with the Baggs Reverb?

I have two perspectives on this:

1. Compression controls dynamics and can change EQ, so it should do that before reaching the preamp and its EQ. It also has gain on tap, so it may not be ideal in the loop.

or

2. You want your gain at the preamp and to send superior signal through the Session after its been appropriately amped. The stronger signal may also require less gain at the pedal.

I really have no clue which is right. I need Doug to weigh in.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I don't know that there's a "right" answer here. It's nice that Baggs has designed the Session Align to be a regular pedal that can pretty much go anywhere in the chain, so you have flexibility. I'd be tempted to put it first, not in the effects loop, but that's not based on anything other that it just "feels" right to me. I'd try both and see what works best.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't know that there's a "right" answer here. It's nice that Baggs has designed the Session Align to be a regular pedal that can pretty much go anywhere in the chain, so you have flexibility. I'd be tempted to put it first, not in the effects loop, but that's not based on anything other that it just "feels" right to me. I'd try both and see what works best.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

I asked Caleb at Baggs and he said the same, that this is a question that has been going on since the compressor and EQ was invented, but that his reco was to put it first and set the gain using the Session and adjust the Venue's gain accordingly. That was my initial instinct but there are many smarter folks out here who often know better than I do.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-28-2020, 02:21 PM

This is what I do as well. I’ve tried it in the effects loop but I think it plays better prior to the Venue.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 PM

I think you've answered my question as well. I should plug my guitar into the Align Session then into the Venue DI, run Chorus and Reverb thru loop on Venue then out to amp/PA Right???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification