The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2020, 08:43 PM

Default Lack of info from Emerald for a special

I was looking in to ordering a X20 from Emerald with 24.6 scale. I ask Kevin at Emerald for the measurement from the nut to the 3rd fret and was told he could not provide it because he did not have a guitar to measure. For reference my blueridge has a 25.5 scale and the masurement from the nut to the 3rd fret is 4" I was hoping to reduce that with a shorter scale, from what I've been able to gather (1 member masured his X10 with a 24.6 and said it masured 4" nut to 3rd fret) I would need to go shorter than 24.6 to reduce the reach. For me this is alot of money, I'm 65 and my hands are feeling alot of wear and tear. I'm hoping to make 1 last signficant, shortscale, easy to play, as largr as I can handle, go anywhere guitar purchase, the X20 looks perfect. Of course a special order cannot be retruned. (understandable) But it very important to know just what you are ordering. I think the Emeralds are the most exciting, innovative, coolest git I've seen in a long time, I can see why they may be having growing pains. But the unwillingness to communicate this basice info is disappointing.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:55 PM

Someone here has a custom with those specs. Hopefully they can chime in for you

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 01-12-2020, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

FWIW I don't think it's an unreasonable request/question to pose to a company that has no dealer network and prides itself on custom offering. Isn't it just a mathematical calculation, not a matter of measuring an actual guitar. If you placed your order I can't imagine that you'd be told they couldn't meet your request because they didn't have a guitar to measure the distance. This is one of those times to bypass Kevin and communicate directly with Alistair...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-12-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP850 View Post
I was looking in to ordering a X20 from Emerald with 24.6 scale. I ask Kevin at Emerald for the measurement from the nut to the 3rd fret and was told he could not provide it because he did not have a guitar to measure. For reference my blueridge has a 25.5 scale and the masurement from the nut to the 3rd fret is 4" I was hoping to reduce that with a shorter scale, from what I've been able to gather (1 member masured his X10 with a 24.6 and said it masured 4" nut to 3rd fret) I would need to go shorter than 24.6 to reduce the reach. For me this is alot of money, I'm 65 and my hands are feeling alot of wear and tear. I'm hoping to make 1 last signficant, shortscale, easy to play, as largr as I can handle, go anywhere guitar purchase, the X20 looks perfect. Of course a special order cannot be retruned. (understandable) But it very important to know just what you are ordering. I think the Emeralds are the most exciting, innovative, coolest git I've seen in a long time, I can see why they may be having growing pains. But the unwillingness to communicate this basice info is disappointing.
It's too bad Sean isn't with Emerald anymore, to me he seemed more personable and more customer service orientated.

Would the newer X7s work for you with it's 24" scale ?

My older model 2016 Emerald X7 with it's 24" scale measures
3-52/64" from the bridge side of the nut to the center of the 3rd fret.
My 2017 Emerald X20 and 2018 Emerald X30 with their 25.5" scales both measure 4-3/64" from the bridge side of the nut to the center of the 3rd fret.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes getting info like this can be difficult from Emerald. In the past I've had to badger them at times for info on custom orders. I think (like in this case) they couldn't answer my questions just because when it comes to customs they don't know the answer as there is no similar guitar in front of them at the time from which to take measurements.

A year ago I could have helped you as I owned an X20 custom and X7 custom, both with 24.6" scales. But both have moved on. I can tell you that from a "short scale, easy to play, go anywhere" perspective the X7 custom would be a better way to go, especially if you went with the standard 24.0" scale. The X7 body while smaller than the X20 is still decent size and has a lot of volume and tone. It also has the backside cutaway which is great for access to the upper frets.

The X20 would certainly have a better tone across the spectrum so if that's important than you could go with the X20 custom with 24.0" scale. You are correct in that custom orders are expensive. You might want to go the used route for now just to try a few out. Buy used for a good price with the intention of trying for a while and then selling it off to try another or make your custom order once you finalize your specs. Who knows, you might even end up with one that fits your needs perfectly and you would have saved time and money.

My custom X20 just popped up and sold pretty quick in the classifieds so I don't know where it's going but that person could likely get you the measurements you're looking for once the guitar arrives.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I know little about scaling or construction of shorter scale guitars....but I would be more interested in the distance from the nut to the body? Seems if the neck is shortened, the distance to the third fret could be the same. Kevin should know that though. Am I way off there?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:05 AM

An off the shelf X7 may take care of your needs and can be returned or sold if you don't like it. It's 24", so it's a little shorter than the 24.6" you are looking for. The advantage is that you can have it next week. If you like it, then don't bother with the 24.6". If you don't like it, sell it or send it back and don't bother with the 24.6". If you like it but want a little more length, then hold on the 24" X7 until your custom arrives. The loss of money will be about the same in returning the guitar as it is for selling it later, so you are out about the same either way.

I have three guitars (two are 25.5" and one 24.5") that I play regularly. I also have a Pono baritone uke (21.4" scale) that I like too. The difference in scale doesn't bother me switching between the four.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the responce, I'm looking at the X7 I might go that route, But I was hoping to get the biggest guitar that was comfotable, considering the ergonmic approch Emerald is taking I would hate to pass on the X20. Methos I was trying to get the same info on the X20ss that you owed, it just sold. Very cool guitar.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:29 AM

I just checked. My Lucky 13 is 24.75 and not 24.5. I was confusing it with a PRS that I let a friend borrow.

Still my point is that switching between scales is pretty easy depending on what you are doing. Also you might want to try a nylon string guitar. I think Emerald has a red nylon 25.5 inch scale ready to ship that may be easy on your fingers too.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:37 AM

Hey mot, what is the measurement from the nut to the 3rd fret?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I did a little searching, and found a calculator here:

https://www.harpkit.com/fret-calculator

This shows nut to 3rd fret distance as 3.914” for a 24.6” scale instrument (and, for reference it’s 4.057” for a 25.5 scale).

Of course, the other factor to take into account is how the shorter scale is achieved - is the neck left the same length as ‘standard’, and the bridge moved to create the shorter scale, or is the neck shortened, leaving the bridge in the same place on the body? There’s a spirited discussion currently going on about this elsewhere in the forum

If you’re concerned about reach issues, then shortening the neck would be the better option - but you’ll have to ask Emerald about that.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-12-2020, 08:50 AM

Hey mot, what is the measurement from the nut to the 3rd fret? I can switch back and forth ok I just perfer short scales. I just sold a martin 00018 with PA neck, I loved that neck but that guitar sounded like a dud compared to my blueridge martin copy
Old 01-12-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I did a little searching, and found a calculator here:

https://www.harpkit.com/fret-calculator

This shows nut to 3rd fret distance as 3.914” for a 24.6” scale instrument (and, for reference it’s 4.057” for a 25.5 scale).

Of course, the other factor to take into account is how the shorter scale is achieved - is the neck left the same length as ‘standard’, and the bridge moved to create the shorter scale, or is the neck shortened, leaving the bridge in the same place on the body? There’s a spirited discussion currently going on about this elsewhere in the forum

If you’re concerned about reach issues, then shortening the neck would be the better option - but you’ll have to ask Emerald about that.
I have been following the discussion
Old 01-12-2020, 08:55 AM

This has been exactly the guitar I've been dreaming of- though I think I would be thinking more along the lines of 24.9 -ish, and take off about 4 of those unnecessary frets extending into the body. Maybe a guitar with the OP's specs has yet to be made, but if so, I would think those specs/measurements are somewhere archived at Emerald? What if a guitar was unexpectedly and wildly popular- like the RainSong Shorty? That would not be a blueprint to discard.....
Old 01-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP850 View Post
Hey mot, what is the measurement from the nut to the 3rd fret? I can switch back and forth ok I just perfer short scales. I just sold a martin 00018 with PA neck, I loved that neck but that guitar sounded like a dud compared to my blueridge martin copy
Which guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber