The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-06-2021, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Steve Baughman - 2 O'Carolan videos

I thought I'd share "how I spent Monday afternoon" this week :-) Steve Baughman came by to record videos for 2 tunes off his newly released CD of O'Carolan music. We shot in my home studio. Steve decided he wanted to keep things fairly simple. I shot with 3 cameras, but we only ended up using 2, and mostly only one. Guitar was mic'd with a spaced pair of Schoeps CMC6/MK41s. With the closeup camera angles we used, I don't think you can actually see the mics anywhere, but they're there. A bit of reverb in Logic and then sync'd with video in Final Cut.

Last edited by Doug Young; 10-06-2021 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:41 AM

Always a treat to hear Steve's playing, and a very good recording indeed. I've been a fan of his playing for a while, mostly from watching his clawhammer style guitar Youtube videos.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:48 AM

It is always a great pleasure to listen to him, I have always appreciated his way of playing

https://remylefer.bandcamp.com/follow_me

https://open.spotify.com/album/6trcd...qGm8CDlKj8yFiQ

Old 10-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Great job on both the recording and the camera work, Doug! Everything looks and sounds first class!

It's fascinating to watch and listen to him play! Very well done all the way around!

- Glenn
Old 10-10-2021, 03:08 PM

Lovely to hear Steve play again, great job. One thing that really struck me about these two recordings was just how much of a signature Doug Young sound they both have, something around your recording and mixing just really stands out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-10-2021, 07:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Nice. A pleasure to listen to.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-10-2021, 08:22 PM

Sounds great, the tone is like liquid blending into each other. For lack of a better term..
Old 10-10-2021, 09:20 PM

Wonderful to listen to, and a very nice presentation. That guitar is starting to look like Trigger! It looks like he does some frenzied strumming occasionally when no on is looking, expecting him to fingerpick. Do you know what he had it tuned to for those songs?
Old 10-10-2021, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Lovely to hear Steve play again, great job. One thing that really struck me about these two recordings was just how much of a signature Doug Young sound they both have, something around your recording and mixing just really stands out.
I hope that's a good thing :-) I suspect in a lot of ways, Steve's sound has influenced me on how a guitar should sound, from when I first ran across his music, to the past few decades of doing projects with him.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
Wonderful to listen to, and a very nice presentation. That guitar is starting to look like Trigger! It looks like he does some frenzied strumming occasionally when no on is looking, expecting him to fingerpick. Do you know what he had it tuned to for those songs?
That guitar has looked like that for quite a while, tho it does seem to turn up a few more levels of distress each time I see it. I just played a gig with him a month ago, and I didn't notice it looking quite this "colorful" then. I think it's the combination of his Alaska picks and his frailing/clawhammer. Plus he lives on a boat, so maybe the sea air is "helping".

If I remember right, Mrs Maxwell's is in Open D, and Squire Wood's is CGDGBD, which is either a modified Orkney (Steve's "standard" tuning) or could be viewed as Open G with a low C bass.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I hope that's a good thing :-) I suspect in a lot of ways, Steve's sound has influenced me on how a guitar should sound, from when I first ran across his music, to the past few decades of doing projects with him.

It’s a good thing :-)

These two do sound more like “you” when you play and record than the last ones you did for him years back - there’s a sweetness to the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-12-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I thought I'd share "how I spent Monday afternoon" this week :-) Steve Baughman came by to record videos for 2 tunes off his newly released CD of O'Carolan music. We shot in my home studio. Steve decided he wanted to keep things fairly simple. I shot with 3 cameras, but we only ended up using 2, and mostly only one. Guitar was mic'd with a spaced pair of Schoeps CMC6/MK41s. With the closeup camera angles we used, I don't think you can actually see the mics anywhere, but they're there. A bit of reverb in Logic and then sync'd with video in Final Cut.

Hopefully, tabs of this CD will follow soon.
Squire Wood’s Lamentation is favourite.

Martin 000-28 12 fret Adirondack Custom
Old 10-12-2021, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

I've been enjoying Steve's new album alot, been listening to it here for the past few days. Below is the link if anyone is interested.

https://stevebaughman.hearnow.com/

I really enjoyed those videos Doug, you always do such a good job capturing his tone. I like the close in shot, its different from what I usually see you do. With the exception of one cut I think these are all one camera, right?

I think Steve's guitar there is more beat up than his old Goodall currently hanging on my wall. And the Goodall has been around since 1987!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I really enjoyed those videos Doug, you always do such a good job capturing his tone. I like the close in shot, its different from what I usually see you do. With the exception of one cut I think these are all one camera, right?
I shot with 3 cameras, but Steve just liked that view so much he wanted to just keep it on all the time. We only cut to the other camera to show his harmonics or something (I forget) briefly. I had a more normal full-body front view, and we never used it.

Quote:
I think Steve's guitar there is more beat up than his old Goodall currently hanging on my wall. And the Goodall has been around since 1987!
The cover of the CD gives some hint of why :-)
Old 10-12-2021, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTaylor View Post
Hopefully, tabs of this CD will follow soon.
Squire Wood’s Lamentation is favourite.
Steve doesn't do tab himself, but maybe he'll get them put out by someone else. I think I asked him about that, but I'm not remembering what he said.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell