The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor ES-2 - Red Eye Fire Eye

Hi Gents,

I recently bought an AD17e. I have a gig Thursday night on a hotel rooftop bar. I am trying out the taylor instead of my other guitar with its K&K ==> Red Eye Fire Eye setup.

Any one have experience with the ES-2 ==> Fire Eye ==> PA?
Old 10-18-2021, 04:14 PM

I have a Taylor 214ce-dlx with the latest version of ES2. I recently purchased a Fire Eye and run it through a Fishman SA220. I have not gigged with it yet, but have played around with it at home. I dial back the treble a bit with the treble control on the Fire Eye, and that dials out a bit of the harshness of the guitar/ES2 combination. It is not a huge difference, but I got it for the boost function as well as the ability to run an XLR directly to a PA at open mics or other situations where I don't have my SA220. I think it adds a subtle warmth to the sound but it is not night and day, and the Taylor sounds fine straight in to the amp.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Carl. All’s I need is the boost. I’ve been actually playing with my electric pedals after work. I can get boost and sustain with a BOSS CS-3. And errr my blues driver pedal as well. I’ll play more tomorrow with the FERE

But perhaps best to keep it simple Thursday and just use the guitar with no pedals.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Hi Gents,

I recently bought an AD17e. I have a gig Thursday night on a hotel rooftop bar. I am trying out the taylor instead of my other guitar with its K&K ==> Red Eye Fire Eye setup.

Any one have experience with the ES-2 ==> Fire Eye ==> PA?
Congrats on the AD17e Sal!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-18-2021, 11:31 PM

One of the best live acoustic sounds I’ve heard was a guy with a Taylor 810 through a Baggs Venue. I just picked up a used AD17e yesterday, and have a Venue. Interested to see how this combo works out at a gig tomorrow through a good PA.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Joe… thank you.

Craig… please let us know about the Venue…
Old 10-21-2021, 10:20 AM

The preamp in the ES2 is usually more than enough. I would look for a clean boost pedal, but I don't think you need any other tone coloring with that pickup.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Well, I gigged at a rooftop hotel bar last night. ASI said I have my electric pedal board with a few Boss pedals: TU3, CS-3, and a GE7. The tuner/mute is awesome for gigs. I experimented with the CS-3 being off and on -on with very delicate and minimized settings, and the GE7 as a boost. It all worked really well. I think I’ll still keep the Fire Eye; it’s simple and easy. I’ll try that love next time. But boy, my simple pedal board is also pretty easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification