The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-21-2021, 01:10 AM

Well that was simply excellent Glenn. Lovely singing and superb guitar playing. Great sound from the archtop too with the jazzy chord work.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 10-21-2021, 07:28 AM

Glenn, in addition to your fabulous guitar collection, your sublime playing and your silky smooth singing, your song selection always resonates with me and many more here and thousands on YT.

This is another great song well mastered. I only learn songs that speak to me and the satisfaction of learning, playing and singing them is it’s own reward. Thanks for your continued inspiration. Isn’t music magic?

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
Well that was simply excellent Glenn. Lovely singing and superb guitar playing. Great sound from the archtop too with the jazzy chord work.
Thank you Phil!

I really appreciate that you took the time to listen to this! And I very much appreciate your kind comments and encouragement!

I'm clearly not a jazz player, I'm just a folk singer who is trying to learn how to use that archtop of mine on songs I have always wanted to learn to play. I've certainly had to learn how to play a few new chords lately!

I'm so glad you felt this came out reasonably well! Thank you Phil!

- Glenn
Old 10-21-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Glenn, in addition to your fabulous guitar collection, your sublime playing and your silky smooth singing, your song selection always resonates with me and many more here and thousands on YT.

This is another great song well mastered. I only learn songs that speak to me and the satisfaction of learning, playing and singing them is it’s own reward. Thanks for your continued inspiration. Isn’t music magic?
Hi Started!

Thanks so much for your encouragement and kind words of support!

Yes, music really is magic! It takes work to get there, of course, but it can take you to places you never imagined existed.

I'm glad you enjoyed this song and that it did resonate with you! I just cannot get this song out of my head!

I hope you and your family are all doing well! Take care and enjoy what's left of the autumn in New York!

- Glenn
Old 10-21-2021, 11:27 AM

Wow Glenn, that was fantastic! I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know the song as that genre is not usually my thing, but I sure enjoyed this. The outro with the last 2 Bluuuuue vocals was terrific. As always, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Wow Glenn, that was fantastic! I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know the song as that genre is not usually my thing, but I sure enjoyed this. The outro with the last 2 Bluuuuue vocals was terrific. As always, thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much Steve!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this!

I can understand why you wouldn't know this song. It's not played a lot these days and it belongs to an era that is mostly gone now, the Great Depression/World War II era. I was born in 1948, not too long after the end of WWII in 1945, so to some extent, I was connected to that era through my parents, both WWII Vets, both marked deeply by the Depression.

Thanks for your thoughts on that outro. It's funny... as I was approaching that outro I was thinking, "How am I going to do this? Am I going to have enough air for what I want to do??!!" So I just gave it a try and lucked out with just barely having enough air in my lungs! You can hear me taking a pretty deep breath after that long phrase so that I could sing the last phrase.

I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Steve! Thank you for taking time to comment and provide support!

I hope all is well for you!

-Glenn
Old 10-22-2021, 04:57 PM

How did I miss this? I just finished listening to your Joni Mitchell cover.
Saw this. Well done! The jazzy sound from the archtop was nice.
My father was a big band jazz collector. Hi fi and tube radios were everywhere in the house. Took me back. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
How did I miss this? I just finished listening to your Joni Mitchell cover.
Saw this. Well done! The jazzy sound from the archtop was nice.
My father was a big band jazz collector. Hi fi and tube radios were everywhere in the house. Took me back. Thanks.
Hi Westview!

I am so glad you found this! And I am even more pleased that you thought it came out well! I also did a video of "Autumn Leaves" recently that you might like. I used my acoustic Olson SJ on Autumn Leaves, so it's a little different sound but the chords are still very jazz oriented. I love this old stuff.

And how fascinating that you were exposed to Hi Fi and early tube amps and radios from your growing up, too. My mom and dad used to dance to Glen Miller big band music in the living room from my dad's hi-fi... It seemed totally natural to us little kids way back then. I'm glad we both have those kinds of good memories from way back.

Thank you for taking time to listen and comment here. It's greatly appreciated!

Take care!
- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell