The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 01:56 PM

Default Pardon my French..but

How lame MF and GC sales have been lately? The dayly ones and the hourly ones.... I've seen the same two music stands for $30 at least four time in the last month.. and a bunch of $20 off
Just seems to be lacking lately
Old 12-04-2020, 02:00 PM

I bet that has something to do with their newfound Chapter 11 status.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
How lame MF and GC sales have been lately? The dayly ones and the hourly ones.... I've seen the same two music stands for $30 at least four time in the last month.. and a bunch of $20 off
I’m with you. The few little things I’ve wanted to grab aren’t on sale. And I’ve got serious GAS for an electric, but same thing there: only a very small group of “qualifying items” gets the 15% off.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-04-2020, 02:33 PM

I was at GC a few weeks back, interested in buying a D-18 or J-45. when I asked if they still did a 10% discount on new gear with trade-ins, the sales guy checked with his manager and said they didn't. That was that. No willingness to talk about it or negotiate, nothing. OK...

The first thing I thought was how bad their business sense was. They wouldn't budge on 250 bucks even at cost of missing out on a ~$2500-3000 sale.

On my way home, I heard they had just filed for chapter 11.The second thing I though "no surprise there".

I went to another GC a couple of days later and was told they DID do the 10% thing in, and that all stores did it as it was corporate policy. So not only can some of their staff be terrible business people, but from a management standpoint the left hand doesn't know what they right is doing.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1075 View Post
I was at GC a few weeks back, interested in buying a D-18 or J-45. when I asked if they still did a 10% discount on new gear with trade-ins, the sales guy checked with his manager and said they didn't. That was that. No willingness to talk about it or negotiate, nothing. OK...

The first thing I thought was how bad their business sense was. They wouldn't budge on 250 bucks even at cost of missing out on a ~$2500-3000 sale.

On my way home, I heard they had just filed for chapter 11.The second thing I though "no surprise there".

I went to another GC a couple of days later and was told they DID do the 10% thing in, and that all stores did it as it was corporate policy. So not only can some of their staff be terrible business people, but from a management standpoint the left hand doesn't know what they right is doing.
I never take a GC manager's word for anything (unless it's in my favor ). I've gone to the district manager more than once (with success) to get what I wanted (on more expensive items). It's a bit of a hassle, but there's some satisfaction in it as well.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yeah I don't get it either. I was at the store in Wilmington DE a few weeks ago and two managers were arguing with each other whether or not they could give me the 10%.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:55 PM

I've always found that when I call MF the associate always seems to be able to get me a deal. Usually 5-8%. Not as good as they used to be but every bit helps. I was actually shocked earlier this week when I was given a 15% cyber week discount on a Martin 000Jr. Usually Martin is on the exclusion list. $500 down to $425. It will be here Monday. Never hurts to ask.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 12-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

It’s not just GC/MF...though I’m sure the bankruptcy doesn’t help. A lot of inventory - from cars to guitars, etc - has been hit by COVID shutdowns/slowdowns. With supply tight there’s not much incentive to reduce prices to move inventory. Things will get back to normal at some point. But until then negotiating/bargain hunting is tough.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Not sorry, but too many in store experiences throughout New England to list, I won't even cast a shadow near a GC location. I haven't for quite some time. Nothing to do with COVID's impact on retailer's inventory or pricing.

I don't blame ALL GC's on-site retail individuals; just the leading majority of clueless, rude "representatives". I do respectfully hold the corporation accountable for its' lack of concern for its' own inability to create advocates over the age of 18.

So, in a sense, I support GC's "Smokin' Deal" sales philosophy by not obstructing the focus on its' actual target audience, thus doing my part to keep the path to its' growth or implosion clear.

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain

Last edited by FingahPickah; 12-05-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:31 PM

To be fair, SW has been a bit lame also.,...
Old 12-04-2020, 08:13 PM

I was in GC just before Covid looking for an OM, and the manager was talking sports with an employee in the acoustic room when I asked if they had any Eastman's I could try out, and they apparently didn't like the question, so the employee handed me a cheap Martin to try out while he sat two feet away watching every single chord I played.

I didn't like the Martin, and instead of asking if there was anything else I would like to try out, he just walked back to the previous conversation with the manager giving me a look to leave them alone. I did of course, knowing I probably would never go back to that store again. GC can go under for all I care. Very rude, and with the managers blessing no less....
Old 12-04-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
They are bleeding cash and need to increase their margins, in order to survive. It's a downward spiral, as they will end up choking on their overpriced inventory and will ultimately need to liquidate.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
It’s not just GC/MF...though I’m sure the bankruptcy doesn’t help. A lot of inventory - from cars to guitars, etc - has been hit by COVID shutdowns/slowdowns. With supply tight there’s not much incentive to reduce prices to move inventory. Things will get back to normal at some point. But until then negotiating/bargain hunting is tough.
I think this answers a lot of it really. We've seen the news articles, the out of stock and empty shelves, and factories closed or limited production staff. There isn't much inventory to unload.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:58 PM

I don't know why so many people bash GC. They are a big box retailer. In normal times, they stock a lot of inventory. The offer discounts a lot of other stores won't. It is what it is. It's almost like a lot of people go in expecting a glass of champaign and a private room with a schooled luthier to hand them guitars while explaining the nuances of the various tonewoods used and the bracing patterns and altering the setups of every guitar to meet their preferences, then they are disappointed when this doesn't happen.

The results of Covid have choked the supply chain in a lot of industries. Many companies won't survive. I hope GC makes it through this. I've been able to go in on so many occasions to play the latest models at my leisure. Most times I don't buy anything. Occasionally, I get a deal on a gem. I've been really happy to have the chance to have access to so much inventory to try out. I think it will be a loss to all of us if they don't make it.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/Trade-In-Trade-Up.gc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion