The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I just noticed you sold your PW 000. The way I saw you post about it, I thought it would stick around!
Ha! I did and I am scratching my head a bit about that. The tone of it still haunts me. However, I'm a school teacher and having that expensive a guitar brought about some guilt I didn't like.

Now I have a couple guitars that added up are about 1/2 what I paid for the PW 000. I feel better.

scott
Old 12-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

In 2019 I bought and sold several rosewood guitars. I was looking to replace my 1969 Brazilian rosewood Martin D-35 which I had bought new, but it was getting to feel large for my 77 years, and had so many setups that it needed a neck reset.
I settled on a new 2018 Eastman E20-OM because it was the only one that felt and played like the Martin and had the same quality of sound. The Eastman OM's neck and string spacing are perfect for both flat and finger picking, the body is just the right size, and the sound is alive and resonant.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman OMs

I currently have two (E40OM and E10OM-TC). I have also owned two others. A friend of mine who is a much more accomplished player tried my E40 and subsequently bought an E20OM-SB. I think they are as good as advertised. The two I have are newer and the neck and nut are very similar. The E40 does feel a little beefier in the neck but both nuts are 1.75" with string spacing of 1.50" spacing. I had to have a complete set up on the E40 as the nut slots were fairly shallow and it had a very tall saddle. The E10 slots were good and I was able to finish the set up with a little adjustment of the neck and sanding the saddle down a touch. The E40 just keeps getting better. It is very resonant with great sustain. The over-all size and neck shape make it comfortable as well.

Just my 2 cents - I apologize if advance if it sounds like an advertisement for Eastman guitars. YMMV

PS - Talk to Ted and Helene at LA Guitar Sales. The typically have a very good inventory and will treat you right on the pricing.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:03 PM

When I was in the market for an OM back in 2016 I was lucky enough to tryout the full Eastman line: E6OM, E8OM, E10OM and E20OM. Within a few weeks. I was able to do this with a close friend of mine.

To be honest, I kinda liked them all. My buddy bought the E10OM instantly even though he wasn't actually needing to buy a guitar -- that's how impressed he was.

As for me, the E8OM was the one that fit me best. Sitka/EIR. Rich tone. Great neck feel. I still have that guitar an it's not going anywhere.

In other words, you made an excellent choice.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:51 PM

I’m a brand new player and wanted a good guitar without spending too much in case I decided not to stick with it. I chose an E6Om and I love this little guitar! Today as I was practicing I noticed that the top is getting slightly darker, making it look even more wonderful. My OM has so much sustain! I think you’re going to love yours. Let us know when you get it!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-05-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Let my qualify my statement by saying that I own several Martin standard series guitars, and I own several Eastman guitars, including two OMs. Yesterday I had a chance to finally play a Martin 00018. It was an excellent guitar! Hanging nearby was an e10OM, so I compared them. The Martin might have been slightly better, but the Eastman easily held its own. In fact, it might be more accurate to say the Eastman was slightly "different" and not necessarily better per se. The price between the used Martin and new Eastman was nearly $900. Could I say the Martin is $900 better? Certainly not. But, for some people, having a Martin is worth the extra money. Since I own Martin guitars as well, I understand the draw, but to state unequivocally that the Martin is in all ways a better guitar is a bit of a stretch.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:57 PM

Though my D28 hits the mark for me, I enjoy having a variety of different guitars in my arsenal. My Taylor BBT sounds great as well as my Seagull mini jumbo and Ibanez parlour. I anticipate that my Eastman will be another voice among my chorus of guitars. Variety is the spice of life and makes play time more fun. Although I do consider myself a Martin person, I don't want all my guitars to be Martins. I do feel an Eastman will be a good addition and will let you know once I make it through the excruciating 24 hour wait after I receive it.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove
Old 12-05-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Hi all,
Yesterday, I ordered my first Eastman online without ever having played an Eastman. I'm hoping it will fill the OM void in my guitarsenal. I chose the sitka/rosewood E8OM. Does anyone have any thoughts on it or on Eastmans in general? I'm so looking forward to having this in my hands!
Thank you,
PB
Nice, if you don't end up liking it, try Larrivee, in Canada anyway there's brand new Larrivee OM for the same price as that Eastman, high end guitars too.
You'll probably like that Eastman though, seem to be well reviewed.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:36 PM

Default First impressions

An ideal Christmas morning is when you actually get something that you dreamed of having. I just unboxed this Eastman E8OM and I wanted to share my first impressions:

-OMG, this guitar is so beautiful! It reeks of quality and reminds me of the custom Martins I've played. Cream-colored spruce top and appointments that are so elegant and stately.
-Feels like a great OM. What finesse and playability. Couldn't ask for more.
-Sounds like my D28, just more compact. Love at first strum (my personal test). Opens my heart valves and inspires my mind. Love that rosewood tone.
-Wow, wow wow! Thank you Universe for helping me make the right choice.
-Who wouldn't like this guitar? You've got to be kidding me!
-Thank you Eastman for making such a fine instrument. I will proudly play it and keep it close by.

Cheers,
PB
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Last edited by highvibrational; 12-08-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:30 PM

Yikes! Hope I feel the same about my FS5 that arrives tomorrow! If not, I have a feeling an E8OM isn't far off.

Congrats and Merry Christmas!
scott
Old 12-07-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear this! My E8OM-TC is inbound Wednesday!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-07-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Yikes! Hope I feel the same about my FS5 that arrives tomorrow! If not, I have a feeling an E8OM isn't far off.

Congrats and Merry Christmas!
scott
Let us know what you think! I may be somewhat easy to please.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 12-07-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Glad to hear this! My E8OM-TC is inbound Wednesday!
Let us know what happens. Curious to hear your thoughts!
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 12-07-2020, 11:42 PM

Default To OP,

So glad you like your new Eastman, it sounds like it looks gorgeous and it plays beautifully. I now have my mind made up, I’ve settled on an Eastman as the guitar I’m getting (after being out of playing for several decades.)

Only thing is, I’m having a hard time finding both the 8OM or the 6 OM. I’ve talked to several of the Eastman dealers who said their orders have been significantly backlogged, or held up in red tape, coming from overseas. I don’t know if we’re allowed to name dealers, but I’m wondering where you found a new one. Appreciate the time given.
Fiddle
Old 12-07-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle1973 View Post
So glad you like your new Eastman, it sounds like it looks gorgeous and it plays beautifully. I now have my mind made up, I’ve settled on an Eastman as the guitar I’m getting (after being out of playing for several decades.)

Only thing is, I’m having a hard time finding both the 8OM or the 6 OM. I’ve talked to several of the Eastman dealers who said their orders have been significantly backlogged, or held up in red tape, coming from overseas. I don’t know if we’re allowed to name dealers, but I’m wondering where you found a new one. Appreciate the time given.
Fiddle
It seems like LA Guitar Sales has an E8OM available here. Ted is one of the country's biggest Eastman dealers and I got my E8OM from him without a hitch. Lovely guy to speak with and he happily answered the multitude of questions I had. Ask him for his best price and hope you can enjoy your NGD as well soon!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion