The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Default New Mixer Day

I just bought a shiny new Tascam Model 12:

One of the headphones out goes into the Aux in of the Yamaha THR10, which sounds glorious.

I have a Beatbuddy drum machine which is performance grade, and also a Trio+ which isn't really perfromance grade but is just great for solo practice and Lockdown days. Both are velcroed to the top of my Katana:

The Kat has an acoustic amp model as well, so it's perfect for any guitar. The Tascam also has a USB connector so I can record on the Tascam itself or take the signal straight into the PC, or take the recording from the Tascam into the PC...huge possibilities for a relatively modest outlay.

Last edited by Psychopasta; 11-26-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I don't know anything about Yamaha (opps Tascam) mixers but certainly looks up to the task ...Congrats

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-26-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
I just bought a shiny new Tascam Model 12:

HI P-pasta
Very flexible with lots of 'options'. Thanks for posting your rig.

I like the more-than-average amount of inputs, and the USB-out as well as the conventional options. Great for connecting 10 channels at once to a DAW…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2020, 01:25 PM

Thanks guys! The mixer is a Tascam, BTW, I just use the Yamaha THR as a loudspeaker for it. The THR sounds great, and is my go-to guitar amp for practice. I probably got more value out of the THR than any other piece of equipment, it is used everyday as guitar amp, computer speaker and now mixer monitor. It's a real workhorse.

One of the things I like about the Tascam Model 12 is how analog in appearance and operation it is, despite everything after the input preamplifiers being digital. I really love all the knobs and the strip approach to the signal processing. It reminds me of playing around with reel-to-reel tapes in my younger days. It's really easy to use once you get your head around all the busses used to transport signal around.

I haven't got around to using DAWs yet, but when I do the Tascam can be used as a user interface to the DAW so that you can continue that analog mindset. I'm still learning all the things it can do.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
...One of the things I like about the Tascam Model 12 is how analog in appearance and operation it is, despite everything after the input preamplifiers being digital. I really love all the knobs and the strip approach to the signal processing. It reminds me of playing around with reel-to-reel tapes in my younger days. It's really easy to use once you get your head around all the busses used to transport signal around.

I haven't got around to using DAWs yet, but when I do the Tascam can be used as a user interface to the DAW so that you can continue that analog mindset. I'm still learning all the things it can do.
I hang out mainly in the AGF amplification section, but when I heard about this new Tascam I was hoping there was some buzz over here about it! I'm old enough to have used an earlier cassette-based Portastudio that this Tascam 12 is inspired by, and loved it. Wanted to do some more home recording and bought a Tascam DP-32SD, which is crazy capable, but I got so frustrated with menu-diving that I ended up using an outboard Yamaha mixer for tone shaping and simple effects.

This one seems like the best of both worlds for a knob guy who still wants the some of the benefits and DAW and MIDI and so on. Probably my Christmas present to myself!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD