The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 PM

Default NASD

New amplification system day. My QSC cp8 and Soundcraft Notepad 12FX arrived this afternoon and I have got to play around with it for a little while. It sounds pristine. It's very clear, clean, and detailed. I like it a lot so far. The only place that I play amplified is at a nursing home. I accompany a group of about 10 to 15 of our Church kids singing their hearts out. My son plays electric bass with us and sometimes we'll have a banjo and mandolin as well. I am thinking that this setup will work great for us. I have been playing around with it with a single o Pono equipped with a K&K. Sounds great. Tomorrow I will try it with my Huss and Dalton TOM-R with the Lyric mic. This is the guitar I usually use. I will report back after I have had the option to put it through the paces.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:24 AM

I use it as a bass amp at home, and my duo runs bass through it for about a third of our repertoire. It really works well and we've gotten many surprised inquiries about how are we getting all that bass guitar out of such a tiny system.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-08-2019, 04:58 PM

Ok, I have had a chance to really try out this CP-8 / Soundcraft Notepad 12-fx combination. I am amazed how good it sounds. I had been looking at getting another pickup to replace the Lyric mic in my Huss and Dalton, but now I am thoroughly pleased with the clear and natural sound I am getting straight into the mixer. This is a huge upgrade for a small price. This afternoon I set up a microphone and my guitar and my son played the bass all into this mixer and the sound coming through the CP-8 was pristine. I cannot be more pleased. Once you figure out how to use the effects, it can sound very lush. I am looking forward to using this little setup at the nursing home. I highly recommend it for small venues.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I bought a CP8 from a recommendation in the JBL EON One Compact thread and I'm happy w/ my purchase too.

I use mine as a acoustic guitar amp w/ a Fishman ToneDEQ preamp/effects and as PA support w/ my Schertler Jam 400.

Last edited by stephenT; 12-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 PM

This afternoon I plugged my Huss and Dalton with the Lyric, into my TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb pedal. From the pedal, into the Soundcraft Notepad. I mixed in a little delay from the on-board effects. A little eq tweaking. Out of the CP-8. Voila! Absolutely stunning. The best plugged in acoustic guitar sound I have experienced. It sounds so big and full and rich, yet clear. When tuned to CGDGBD, the low C sounds like a grand piano string. This is not "my guitar only louder". This is my guitar on steroids... enhanced. This is a stellar combination. I have moulded plastic box case similar to a Pelican case. The 12-fx and the HOF reverb pedal fit in together side-by-side nicely. A small plug-strip sits behind the mixer. A 25' extension cord, a couple of xlr cables, a short patch cord, my Sennheiser wireless set, all fits into this box. Then there's the CP-8. This will not be the ideal amplification system for busking because it requires plugging in and the black box weighs about the same as the speaker. It is still portable enough to do what I need to do and it sounds so good.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
This afternoon I plugged my Huss and Dalton with the Lyric, into my TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb pedal. From the pedal, into the Soundcraft Notepad. I mixed in a little delay from the on-board effects. A little eq tweaking. Out of the CP-8. Voila! Absolutely stunning. The best plugged in acoustic guitar sound I have experienced. It sounds so big and full and rich, yet clear. When tuned to CGDGBD, the low C sounds like a grand piano string. This is not "my guitar only louder". This is my guitar on steroids... enhanced. This is a stellar combination. I have moulded plastic box case similar to a Pelican case. The 12-fx and the HOF reverb pedal fit in together side-by-side nicely. A small plug-strip sits behind the mixer. A 25' extension cord, a couple of xlr cables, a short patch cord, my Sennheiser wireless set, all fits into this box. Then there's the CP-8. This will not be the ideal amplification system for busking because it requires plugging in and the black box weighs about the same as the speaker. It is still portable enough to do what I need to do and it sounds so good.
Have you tried comparing plugging into the CP8 directly versus the notepad? I just got a CP8 this weekend - putting it on it's side as a monitor in default DSP mode seems to be almost perfect for me when I plug straight in. Still thinking about the notepad or a zed 10fx as I'd like some EQ for the mic, but the guitar sounds as good as it possibly can. The K8.2 I had for a day definitely sounded clearer and was more goosebump inducing for vocals, but the dead quiet and fanless CP8 is pretty close.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

I did a gig plugged into a buffer box w/ no EQ with a Sunrise pickup. This was w/ three other musicians who had their own amps and it made me want more control,.. it was fine, certainly gig-able but I felt I need a little EQ so I could separate myself in the mix.

If you're a solo artist and not "competing" in a soundscape, I agree, it sounds great,.. open not boxy, w/ excellent dispersion. I like 8" w/ acoustic guitar.

I did my first gig tonight w/ the CP8 and Fishman ToneDEQ rig. I'm very happy w/ the sound, it's an analog unit w/ darn good effects and a DI. The EQ sure helped me tune the guitar to the room and the speaker position, upright on the floor behind me. Really does sound excellent.

The other guitar player, guy I've played with on and off 20 some yrs, complimented my sound, asked about the rig. I used to haul a Schertler Jam 400 just for my guitar, the CP8/ToneDEQ rig is just as nice (but for the extra 8 inch spkr) w/ better effects. Don't miss the extra 30lbs and now it's a one trip load in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
Have you tried comparing plugging into the CP8 directly versus the notepad? I just got a CP8 this weekend - putting it on it's side as a monitor in default DSP mode seems to be almost perfect for me when I plug straight in. Still thinking about the notepad or a zed 10fx as I'd like some EQ for the mic, but the guitar sounds as good as it possibly can. The K8.2 I had for a day definitely sounded clearer and was more goosebump inducing for vocals, but the dead quiet and fanless CP8 is pretty close.

Last edited by stephenT; 12-09-2019 at 11:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification