The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
On the other hand, the estimated four-month wait to acquire a "custom" Emerald helps us mortals learn and practice patience, Grasshopper. I ordered my X20-12 with a satin finish and no electronics in August and had forgotten all but forgotten about until it mysteriously appeared in a shipping video several weeks ago. I'd ordered it as a Christmas present for myself, and here it was in November. Today it's OUT FOR DELIVERY....
You posted this at 2:07AM. What have you learned from waiting young Grasshopper?

Old 12-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
You posted this at 2:07AM. What have you learned from waiting young Grasshopper?

I learned that 2:07 am in Colorado is 4:07 am in Virginia, and that an unwatched custom order from Emerald is ready for shipment quicker than one that's perseverated over. But yes, I was very excited about the guitar's arrival today and woke up early. I was in the pool at 5:30 am and then back home by 7:30 am because I didn't want to miss its delivery...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-02-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I learned that 2:07 am in Colorado is 4:07 am in Virginia, and that an unwatched custom order from Emerald is ready for shipment quicker than one that's perseverated over. But yes, I was very excited about the guitar's arrival today and woke up early. I was in the pool at 5:30 am and then back home by 7:30 am because I didn't want to miss its delivery...
Haha! Great save Joel. Hope you post pics, it's gorgeous from what little I'd seen of it.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:15 AM

I had my heart set on ordering an x30 from the stock page but they never offered any Black Friday or cyber Monday type deal. I was really counting on that little bit of discount to push me into placing the order. Even with the discount, a woody x30 would be far an away the most expensive guitar (or bass guitar) I’ve ever considered really buying. The online videos are helpful to get an idea of what it sounds like, but for $3k I really would prefer to hold one and see how it plays and hear the thunder for myself.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:48 AM

Thanks for all the pics! I'll be back in 4 months with the guitar
Old 12-03-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
I had my heart set on ordering an x30 from the stock page but they never offered any Black Friday or cyber Monday type deal.
When a builder is having trouble keeping up with orders and have limited construction capacity, there is little marketplace incentive to offer special discounts. I suggest saving up a bit more and going for it anyway. If you buy something from stock, it is returnable..... You'll absorb the shipping both ways in that case.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:45 PM

IMHO half down when ordering and the ransom after the build takes out a lot of the sting in my wallet.

Don't cut build corners that you may regret later. It'll only get built once.

I'm so thankful for fan frets, I did it twice.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-03-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Custom specs

here is a question for you all. I find no specifications on string spacing at the saddle, a common problem. Are you able to specify which spacing is desired. And with fan fret how customization are those specifications.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 12-03-2020, 04:53 PM

String spacings at the front of the bridge for mine are:
  • 2-1/4" X7 version 2 (spring 2018 and earlier)
  • 2-5/16" X20 pinned bridge (2016)
  • 2-1/4" X20 pinless bridge (2020)
  • 2-3/16" X30 pinned bridge (late 2018)

Prior to getting into CF I mostly played Taylor which all have 2-3/16" spacing at the bridge. Apparently I am not very sensitive to bridge spacing, and had never noticed any issue with any of these. There are also several other brands at my house, including Rainsong, Seagull, and Alvarez. This is the only time I've ever measured anything except nut width.

I cannot speak to fanned fret or further custom options.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Apparently the current specs for the X30, which I finally found on the site, are 1 3/4 nut and 2 1/4 saddle.

I've emailed them about what can be done custom. Appreciate the info.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 12-09-2020, 01:08 PM

I'll say this again. As a confirmed wooden guitar snob, thinking CF guitars were imitations of guitars rather than real instruments, the moment I hit the first chord on my Emerald X30, I felt the need to repent and confess.

That guitar is magnificent and it old its own with any wooden guitar I've ever played and boy I've played a bunch of them in over 40 years of playing guitar.

You're in for a treat.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber