The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2020, 08:30 AM

Default Heavy Handed on the EQ?

Hi, Here's a seasonal ditty. I used two channels of audio input. Condenser Mic which was left dry in the mix and I plugged in via instrument cable and went direct. On the direct input I used effects in Logic Pro and think I was a little heavy handed. Any eq suggestions? Really looking for subtle compression, eq, and reverb, etc on the guitar. Thanks

Old 11-23-2020, 08:32 AM

Apologies for the Flock O' Seagulls inspired hair, that was a pure coincidence.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:44 PM
Eric Skye

I think the guitar tone is good, and so is the hair. But I'd pull back on the reverb quite a bit and get the guitar more in front of things myself.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I think the guitar tone is good, and so is the hair. But I'd pull back on the reverb quite a bit and get the guitar more in front of things myself.
Thanks Eric! Agreed, I need to take a course or self study EQ for acoustic guitar using logic pro. There is so much there and it's easy to get lost and make a mess of things.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

When you have a good mic and a good guitar, solo, you might not have to EQ much - I mean, that's the point of good equipment!

Some folks would apply a high-pass-filter in EQ, or perhaps with the mic, if it suits the source, to roll off the extreme lows just to insure no rumble (i.e., low frequency, physical noise) is entering the recording, though a solid floor and good suspension mount can make that unnecessary.

Are you using the Space Designer in Logic Pro X? You might try some of the small room/studio spaces with that reverb ("Nice Room" is one I've started with in the past). For simplicity, if you put that right on the track, play with the wet/dry mix to get it "to taste." If the reverb pre-delay is zero, I'd bump it up a bit (say 15ms) on your solo guitar. And, the Output EQ on that plugin is often set to roll off both the high and low ends. (The more common practice with reverb is to add a Send on the recorded track, choosing an unused Bus, and put the reverb there, because reverbs are fairly demanding, CPU-wise, plus if you have multiple tracks, you can use the same reverb, i.e., to have the tracks in the same "space", and use the amount of send to control how much reverb each track gets.)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
Thanks Eric! Agreed, I need to take a course or self study EQ for acoustic guitar using logic pro. There is so much there and it's easy to get lost and make a mess of things.
Well, you and me both. I'm certainly no expert. But I think for the most part focus on mic position to get your best possible tone baked into the cake. Then maybe one or two minor corrective surgical cuts if you're like me and in a less-than idea space at home. A little high pass maybe around 50 to get ride of foot stomps, passing trucks, stomach growls.. And the maybe a gentle lift if need be in the highs for a little sheen. But overall less is more for sure, and maybe it won't even need anything at all. I also find it very helpful to chose a few reference tracks of tunes the I admire and are similar to what I trying to do. Listen over and over on your monitors and or headphones and get that sound into your spinal column, and maybe go back and forth with it A/B'ing with what you've recorded.. You can drop it into your DAW and try to get it closer to the same volume, even bring up an eq on the reference track to analyze things..Some plugins will even copy the eq curve I think -though I've not tried that myself.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
When you have a good mic and a good guitar, solo, you might not have to EQ much - I mean, that's the point of good equipment!

Some folks would apply a high-pass-filter in EQ, or perhaps with the mic, if it suits the source, to roll off the extreme lows just to insure no rumble (i.e., low frequency, physical noise) is entering the recording, though a solid floor and good suspension mount can make that unnecessary.

Are you using the Space Designer in Logic Pro X? You might try some of the small room/studio spaces with that reverb ("Nice Room" is one I've started with in the past). For simplicity, if you put that right on the track, play with the wet/dry mix to get it "to taste." If the reverb pre-delay is zero, I'd bump it up a bit (say 15ms) on your solo guitar. And, the Output EQ on that plugin is often set to roll off both the high and low ends. (The more common practice with reverb is to add a Send on the recorded track, choosing an unused Bus, and put the reverb there, because reverbs are fairly demanding, CPU-wise, plus if you have multiple tracks, you can use the same reverb, i.e., to have the tracks in the same "space", and use the amount of send to control how much reverb each track gets.)

Thanks Keith! That's good stuff for me to experiment with. I don't think I've used Space Designer. Embarrassed to say I pull up the Library and use some of those presets that have several effects bundled in. I'm sure there are some good tutorials on youtube for tasteful EQ using logic pro with acoustic guitars and vocals. If you know of any please send a link.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:26 PM

Nice playing. FWIW, I didn't mind the reverb as much when I wasn't looking at the video. That's not a comment on hair, etc.; I just think there's a cognitive dissonance when you see a home video and don't expect to hear reverb.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Well, you and me both. I'm certainly no expert. But I think for the most part focus on mic position to get your best possible tone baked into the cake. Then maybe one or two minor corrective surgical cuts if you're like me and in a less-than idea space at home. A little high pass maybe around 50 to get ride of foot stomps, passing trucks, stomach growls.. And the maybe a gentle lift if need be in the highs for a little sheen. But overall less is more for sure, and maybe it won't even need anything at all. I also find it very helpful to chose a few reference tracks of tunes the I admire and are similar to what I trying to do. Listen over and over on your monitors and or headphones and get that sound into your spinal column, and maybe go back and forth with it A/B'ing with what you've recorded.. You can drop it into your DAW and try to get it closer to the same volume, even bring up an eq on the reference track to analyze things..Some plugins will even copy the eq curve I think -though I've not tried that myself.
Thanks Eric! I had no idea the functionality existed in Logic Pro to analyze a sample and show the EQ or processing. That is amazing, I'll have to dig into that.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 AM

A big part of this experimentation is born from the fact that my recording room is bad. It's a basement room, small square shape, bad carpet over cement floor(sound familiar?). I thought some close micing and a direct signal that I could process would minimize the room sound.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks Keith! That's good stuff for me to experiment with. I don't think I've used Space Designer. Embarrassed to say I pull up the Library and use some of those presets that have several effects bundled in. I'm sure there are some good tutorials on youtube for tasteful EQ using logic pro with acoustic guitars and vocals. If you know of any please send a link.
Keith, Thanks for the Space Designer suggestion, I'll post some results in a couple of days.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post
Nice playing. FWIW, I didn't mind the reverb as much when I wasn't looking at the video. That's not a comment on hair, etc.; I just think there's a cognitive dissonance when you see a home video and don't expect to hear reverb.
Hi Coop, All hair suggestions also welcome! LOL.
Agreed, I didn't think of it but it could be odd to see a guy with an acoustic guitar and then when he starts playing you get an earful of reverb, etc. Counter to what the brain expected.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks Keith and Eric! I tried another seasonal recording using Space Designer on a BUS!! Ha. Worked well. Vocals here are questionable from a pitch perspective but this was fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD