The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-10-2024, 06:18 AM

Default In Praise of MVA

I live in Maryland. In past years, there has been nothing more painful than visits to the Motor Vehicle Administration. I practically have PTSD from past experiences. I would have rather gotten a colonoscopy.

All of that has changed.

My birthday is coming up, and I had to renew my driver's license. I made an appointment with MVA using their online reservation service. I arrived at the scheduled hour, logged in on my cell phone and waited as my case number traveled on the scheduling board. My number was called (exactly on time), the person at the desk was friendly, I got my picture taken and answered some questions on an iPad. That was it.

It took 7 minutes.

My wife just renewed the registrations on both of our cars. This was all done online. It took 5 minutes.

I have more trouble checking out at the grocery store. This is what good customer service looks like.

Bravo Maryland MVA!
Old 04-10-2024, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Good to hear, and we have similarly surprising good experiences to report!

In the past year we’ve had to re-title and register two cars that had been titled and registered in Pennsylvania, one in Oregon (where our permanent home is now) and the other in North Carolina (where we spend winters). I was dreading this process in both places, but both came off without a hitch. In Oregon, we had an appointment, which was held right on time and we were in and out in about 15 minutes, with titles, registrations, plates, and new driver’s licenses. In North Carolina, we had to wait in line for 20 minutes or so, but once we got to the counter, it was equally quick and painless to get titles, registrations, and plates. DMV’s have always been one of the worst bureaucracies in any state - I’ve always hated dealing with them. But these two experiences were basically painless - I’d dreaded dealing with these two titles and registrations, and neither could have been any easier. It’s like the world has slipped off its axis… Here’s to small victories!

-Ray
Old 04-11-2024, 08:12 AM

Same experience here in California. It used to be a nightmare visiting the DMV. Now one can either take care of business online, or one can go to a local mom and pop store that is contracted by the DMV to do your business. But things like taking a drivers test must be done at the DMV. Having an appointment bypasses having to stand in a line.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I just had the same experience as the OP here in Minnesota, AND the license bureau is only a block from my condo, so even easier. Here, if you don't make an appointment online, it could take all day waiting. Make an appointment online and you get right in at your allotted time.

The only paperwork I had to bring were the proof of appointment because there is a verification number on it and a copy of my DD-214 (military discharge papers) since my driver license identifies me as a veteran.

I am located a block off downtown of the suburb I live in and only 10 minutes from downtown Minneapolis by bus (which is only a block away), with a transit hub a half-block from my condo to take me most anywhere.

My only concern was passing the eye exam. Fortunately, I did. As a veteran with "service connected" disabilities (on my VA ID card), I get to ride the bus and light rail any time at no charge. So when the time comes that I fail the eye exam, I still have ready transportation. To go to the VA from my condo, it is a half block to the transit hub to take the bus into downtown, catch the light rail in downtown Minneapolis, and that goes right to the VA.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-11-2024, 10:10 AM

I cannot speak for Maryland but from decades of work dealing with large organizations have not found them as bad as frequent comments and attitudes are. My personal experience is big institutions and organizations including insurance, health care and finance better fit the common negative sentiments.

Maturity probably helps. I've had all sorts of jobs and experiences where learning to chill and treat people well helps. If I was IMWJL v 1.2 at age 21, I'd be at least v 4.5 now.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:15 AM

Some of the positive benefits of the pandemic (yes there are some) is the streamlining of things like motor vehicle registration and driver's license renewal among several. I renewed my DL last year in 5 minutes from home and the new one arrived in one week.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:04 AM

Washingto (state, not DC) has had online vehicle registration and driver license renewal for many years. Quick and easy (but not cheap).

They've been warning us for years that our standard drivers licenses don't meet TSA standards and we should upgrade to an "enhanced" license. Last year I did that and it was simple. Went online, got a list of documents to bring and scheduled an appointment in the next 45 minutes.

Got all the docs together, went down there. Waited maybe 10 minutes. The woman at the counter was extremely helpful - she suggested I try the vision test without my glasses and if I passed (which I did) they wouldn't put "corrective lenses required" on my license. She asked if I was a veteran (which I am) so they could add that designation on my license (good sometimes for discounts and perks).

The whole thing took less than 20 minutes and I walked out with an enhanced license good for 8 years. The only downside was they put a picture of a real old looking guy on it....

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-12-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

The whole thing took less than 20 minutes and I walked out with an enhanced license good for 8 years. The only downside was they put a picture of a real old looking guy on it....
I hate when they do that.

The upside is people always say "You look so much better in person".

I think that's an upside?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic