The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Arrow 1998 Larrivee C30 Classical / Crossover Custom Order -Video added- SOLD

I also added a quick video cliphere, with an iPhone. I'll make the usual excuses for the playing! Thanks for all the inquiries so far and anything else please let me know.

-----

Hi everyone, offering what I think is a big price drop from original asking, and a great deal at SOLD!

-----

I'm offering for sale a C-30 classical / crossover with custom-ordered narrower 47mm nut and dot inlays.

Features / Specs:
-47mm nut, 660mm scale
-Very very slight radius in board
-Abalone rosette
-Truss rod
-Dot inlays
-Fishman 9v pickup system (no controls)
-Florentine cutaway

Everything is original from the Larrivee workshop. It's in very good shape especially for its age, I'm hard-pressed to find any marks on the guitar. The guitar can already be a rare-find at times, and given this one has a 47mm nut and dot inlays, it's one-of-a-kind. The original owner told me Jean Larrivee himself had taken the order and was substantially involved in its building, including having personally carved the neck.

The guitar plays and sounds beautifully, a reflection of Larrivee's initial training in building classical guitars. Especially nice woods on this one, with the back standing out in terms of color and grain.

SOLd with shipping included to the continental US, with PayPal FF (regular is of course good also, if you don't mind paying the fee).

Pictures are here. Any questions please let me know. Thanks for looking!

IMG_9010 copy.jpg

Last edited by DLQ; 02-01-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi DLQ, can you tell me how your C30 compares in sound, playability, feel, etc., with a spruce/rosewood Cervantes Crossover 1? Thanks, Jim.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi JMH44,

Thanks for posting. I sent you a PM as well.

In terms of Cervantes crossover guitars I've encountered, they have all had lattice bracing, and a 650mm scale. The body sizes have varied slightly.

The Larrivee has a larger box than the Cervantes crossovers I have encountered, and also has a 660mm scale length and a more traditional fan bracing.

If I had to generalize, I'd say the Cervantes is a more "bright" or "modern" sounding guitar in contrast to the Larrivee which could be considered "darker" or "more traditional". Perhaps attributable to the differences in the designs from above. Another way I could maybe describe it is that if the Larrivee could be considered like a cello timbre, than maybe the Cervantes has more of a violin timbre. Of course personal and broad comparisons.

Here's a video I made a while ago with a different Larrivee classical guitar. I feel like the timbre is similar to this C30.

In terms of feel, it seems Cervantes carves a variety of neck profiles, but compared to most, the Larrivee neck feels thicker, closer to what might be deemed traditional classical. This one in particular has a 47mm nut, so it also imparts some of the crossover vibe. To me the 660mm scale does not necessarily feel prohibitively long for the left hand, but I know it's a consideration for many for stretching and tension generally.

Hope that helps! Let me know if any more detail would be helpful.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dennis, I sent you a PM also. Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Also, I enjoyed the clip. Both your playing and the guitar sound very good.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH44 View Post
Hi Dennis, I sent you a PM also. Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Also, I enjoyed the clip. Both your playing and the guitar sound very good.
Hi Jim, looks like your inbox may be full, but I wanted to also send a quick video to provide more detail. Here's the link. A bit rusty but hoping it still puts the guitar in a positive light!

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 01-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Darn, Dennis, that new video may be entering the arena of unfair arm twisting. Once again, both your playing and the guitar sound great. This guitar seems to suit my ears better than the one on the previous video. Let me do some fiddling with what I have, and I'll let you know. I appreciate your willingness to provide as much info as you have. And, my mailbox now has been pared down. Jim
Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Revival nudge from page 5 for a great classical
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars