The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 AM

Default Bagamp

Jack emailed me last week saying the shipment was hitting the US port on the 12 or 13th of Nov
So i guess by the time it gets out of the port, transported to warehouses, inventoried, then online order portal set up, that would make sense

Now if it goes into December I would think that would rekindle a lot of questions on this new product hitting the market again
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Any other opinions? Any post-honeymoon opinions? How does it compare to a Fishman Loudbox or other traditional acoustic guitar amp systems?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

From the Bag Amp manual on line it appears that like the Solo Amp,one cannot bypass the reverb and eq. I realize they can set to off and flat, but the signal is still going through the hardware portion Correct ?? for me a by pass would be a desirable feature allowing the use of outboard eqs and reverbs with out going through installed ones. I would even pay a little more for such an option.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towzer View Post
Jack emailed me last week saying the shipment was hitting the US port on the 12 or 13th of Nov
So i guess by the time it gets out of the port, transported to warehouses, inventoried, then online order portal set up, that would make sense

Now if it goes into December I would think that would rekindle a lot of questions on this new product hitting the market again
Well, it's now December. Christmas is just around the corner. Jack better hurry it up.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 PM

The BagAmp sounds like a very interesting piece of equipment, and we're glad and flattered that Jack is one of us. However, since he's not yet an AGF Sponsor our rules say he's really not supposed to represent his business here. We've obviously been very lenient with him, because we wish him the very best with this venture. Still, we rely on the financial support of those who help sponsor this forum, so we have to be careful not to give away for free the kind of promotion that is given to our paying Sponsors in return for their support.

Jack's aware of this, and we appreciate his understanding and cooperation. Others can talk about his products all they like, but he wants to be careful to avoid seeming like he is taking unfair advantage here. If he's fairly quiet, that's probably why.

Anybody want to spot him the Sponsorship fee, so we can get him to answer our questions directly?

cotten
Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
The BagAmp sounds like a very interesting piece of equipment, and we're glad and flattered that Jack is one of us. However, since he's not yet an AGF Sponsor our rules say he's really not supposed to represent his business here. We've obviously been very lenient with him, because we wish him the very best with this venture. Still, we rely on the financial support of those who help sponsor this forum, so we have to be careful not to give away for free the kind of promotion that is given to our paying Sponsors in return for their support.

Jack's aware of this, and we appreciate his understanding and cooperation. Others can talk about his products all they like, but he wants to be careful to avoid seeming like he is taking unfair advantage here. If he's fairly quiet, that's probably why.

Anybody want to spot him the Sponsorship fee, so we can get him to answer our questions directly?

cotten
Thanks for posting this, John.

I know that units are in-route to retailers and customers.

As I mentioned in the other BagAmp thread ( http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=170300 ), the BA is most closely related to the Bose equipment due it's similar sound propagation due to the true line array design. An amp like the loudbox is a different animal entirely.

The reverb can be dialed to off, and the EQ, as a single knob, is simply set to where you find *your* best sound, regardless of whether you plug in direct, or with a pre-amp or mixer on the front-end.

The EQ and reverb controls are spartan/minimalistic. Some folks will love this simplicity, and work with it directly, or as I said, through pre-amps, etc. Others may be less fond of this simplicity, but that's what makes the world go 'round.

I really have enjoyed the past several weeks testing and playing through one of the first to hit the shores, and I personally think Jack has a winner.

Folks will be able to make up their minds for themselves within a matter of days...and I'm *sure* that the reports will begin to come in pretty quickly.

Disclaimer: Jack has offered "endorsed artist" status to me, and this is a nice honor...the bottom line for me is that I use what I like, period. I own and use the BagAmp now because it suits my needs and desires.

However, I am *not* a part of Jack Campbell's business team, and I just want to make this clear...

I want to answer questions, if possible, but I do not want to over-extend my welcome on the AGF, nor do I want to appear as an authority on Jack's behalf. I like the gear, and I will continue to use it, but I'm just a guy with a guitar, like many of you...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I'm just a guy with a guitar, like many of you...
But with a BagAmp.
Can't wait to test drive one some day soon.,, before I buy a second Bose Compact...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Default Tech info

Two things not mentioned in the downloadable user manual or on the website that I could find was the impedance of the 1/4" input and the wattage of the amplifier.
Thanks
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pillmore View Post
Two things not mentioned in the downloadable user manual or on the website that I could find was the impedance of the 1/4" input and the wattage of the amplifier.
Thanks
Hi Phil. Like so many technical specification answers I give, this one's going to sound incomplete and odd: the 1/4" input impedance is appropriate for general instrument level inputs. It's a compromise worked out through live testing, and I actually don't know the value, as it was never documented.

Power's easy: 220W continuous, 80% duty cycle, <0.5%THD, 20-20KHz (filterless Class D w/pulse frequency of 384kHz). It's a super quiet, super duty amp section that's had a lot of effort put into the design.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post

The reverb can be dialed to off, and the EQ, as a single knob, is simply set to where you find *your* best sound, regardless of whether you plug in direct, or with a pre-amp or mixer on the front-end.

hey thanks for the input . Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
From the Bag Amp manual on line it appears that like the Solo Amp,one cannot bypass the reverb and eq. I realize they can set to off and flat, but the signal is still going through the hardware portion Correct ?? for me a by pass would be a desirable feature allowing the use of outboard eqs and reverbs with out going through installed ones. I would even pay a little more for such an option.
By the way, the XLR line out on the back of the BagAmp is pre-EQ, pre-effects. The signal there is straight off the preamp section -- as pure as lily white snow.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutjack View Post
By the way, the XLR line out on the back of the BagAmp is pre-EQ, pre-effects. The signal there is straight off the preamp section -- as pure as lily white snow.
perhaps I am misunderstanding but for my use, in my chain = mic to outboard- preamp/eq/comp combo then into- outboard FX unit then into Bag amp would not I need an XLR - IN - bypass internal FX , EQ straight into preamp or amp then to speakers ? I am unclear as to how an XLR out would help ? and as far as lily white snow ? just to clarify like this ? ( except where critters have tromped )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
perhaps I am misunderstanding but for my use, in my chain = mic to outboard- preamp/eq/comp combo then into- outboard FX unit then into Bag amp would not I need an XLR - IN - bypass internal FX , EQ straight into preamp or amp then to speakers ? I am unclear as to how an XLR out would help ? and as far as lily white snow ? just to clarify like this ? ( except where critters have tromped )
If you want to feed the line signal to a board it is best to send a clean signal and let the house sound be adjusted and EQ'd as needed for the room or for recording a live event. Having your EQ/effects in the line out really complicates getting appropriate house sound or the right recorded sound... just FYI. And, as with any viewpoint, some would disagree. :-)
Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Man, I bet you turn some heads when you saddle up that one with them there horns!

td
Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM

Beautiful picture by the way.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification