The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post

Recently I listed an expensive ($9000) guitar on Reverb for the first time. Somoene payed full price, received it, then after a few days claimed it was not all original as advertised, and said I either had to give him a substantial discount or he would initiate a return. I had the "no returns" option checked on Reverb, but that doesn't hold up if an item is deemed "not as described". The problem is, who is the arbiter for that? Apparently on Reverb these days it is the buyer, full stop. The guitar was all original as advertised, and luckily for me I had photos from the original manufacturer to prove it. In reality, I'm convinced it had nothing to do with this.....the buyer just had buyer's remorse or wanted to try it with no obligation.
I think that is a buying tactic, find something wrong and demand a discount and threaten a return if it isn't given. I see it here all the time. Someone buys a guitar, goes over it with a fine tooth comb and finds something they don't like. They post it here with a " what should I do, I love it otherwise" post and a dozen comments show up telling them to ask for a discount. It is almost expected that the buyer should get a discount once they go over it and find some perceived discrepancy. In this case, the buyer had noting to lose giving it a try at least.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-08-2024, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
Not a narrow definition, just an accurate one. Mint means the item should be like new, from the mint, or minted! Which is why I also avoid using the term when selling unless the item has genuinely never been used.

Quite some time ago I had a seller claiming mint didn’t mean no marks or scratches as an excuse for some serious string gouges behind the bridge of a classical guitar. In fairness, after arguing back and forth he did offer a partial refund.
It would probably be helpful to get sellers to click acknowledge they understand what the condition parameters are. I suppose implicitly they do on the ToS.

Nearly all of my Reverb purchases had no issues at all. Perfect in every aspect. However one listed as "mint" arrived with a DIY replaced and (half ***ed) filled nut, gouged frets 5 and below, and aftermarket saddle & bridge pins that didn't fit, all not disclosed. Was listed as 'seller does not accept returns'. Had the condition issues been in the listing, or photos beforehand, np. But not as a surprise. I was looking for a mint (according to Reverb's definition) and requested a return from the seller with photos, which the seller declined - responding that he was a "touring musician" and therefore an expert, and the guitar met his personal definition of mint in the condition it was, "all to be expected". It was not an expensive guitar but the cost of repairing back to 'mint' would have exceeded its value.

I opened a case with Reverb explaining the situation, with photos. Reverb stood buy their description standards and provided a return label, monitored the return and I received a full refund over the course of a three weeks.

I am glad Reverb does appear to stand behind their description standards and has a buyer protection process that appears to work, noting it takes time.

Interestingly the guitar was instantly relisted by the seller, categorized as 'very good', instead of 'mint', with none of the issues I noted in any of his photos (cowboy frets needing replacement, pins that don't fit, CA glued nut slots, etc.). Clearly it pays to be very careful and ask for lots of details with non-retail sellers even if their feedback is ok to avoid getting hoodwinked.

Last edited by redi; 04-19-2024 at 08:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion