The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Why not just crank the master volume way up & then use the channel gains for seperate volume controls?
Beard maple E Model
Meredith maple custom
Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAndDry View Post
I understand. so it should also have a channel volume and doesn't. my tak with a k & K pure mini (with no pre) could benefit from such a control. And then I could use the channel volume for the overall "volume" of that channel.
Me thinks tho are just playing with us now...........no worries, what ever concept works for you!
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
Me thinks tho are just playing with us now...........no worries, what ever concept works for you!
I get it. It was really a minor complaint. I am not quite as a big a moron as I sound. In my opinion, that gain control is a combination volume and gain/trim/pre gain. whatever. I am still thinking about buying one
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I am still thinking about buying one
Good deal. They are very good acoustic amps. Hey, you can get some sticky tape and re-lable the knobs!

(just messing with you ... all in good fun ... good luck in getting the right amp)

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I get it. It was really a minor complaint. I am not quite as a big a moron as I sound. In my opinion, that gain control is a combination volume and gain/trim/pre gain. whatever. I am still thinking about buying one
I have the Loudbox 100 and the Artist is a step up in terms of ergonomics and input capability. I love it. I auditioned a few amps, more than I care to mention, and the Fishman Loudbox series just seem to be better in almost every respect in terms of hookups and performance. Now Tone is a subjective thing and in that regard, I feel the Loudbox does a great job of reproducing the true guitar tone my ears prefer.

I do not think you can go wrong with this choice. Good luck in your endeavors.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
I have the Loudbox 100 and the Artist is a step up in terms of ergonomics and input capability. I love it. I auditioned a few amps, more than I care to mention, and the Fishman Loudbox series just seem to be better in almost every respect in terms of hookups and performance. Now Tone is a subjective thing and in that regard, I feel the Loudbox does a great job of reproducing the true guitar tone my ears prefer.

I do not think you can go wrong with this choice. Good luck in your endeavors.
Thanks. Yes I will more than likely get one. I was actually interested in that fishman performer. the one with 2 8" speakers. OK I admit the fact that it was "bigger" played a factor. that has been discontinued. I really want something that I can plug a mic into and do small gigs with. Now the loudbox may very well be capable of that.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Yes I will more than likely get one. I was actually interested in that fishman performer. the one with 2 8" speakers. OK I admit the fact that it was "bigger" played a factor. that has been discontinued. I really want something that I can plug a mic into and do small gigs with. Now the loudbox may very well be capable of that.
Actually, I prefer the Loudbox 100 over the performer.... the performer has two 6.5 inch speakers along with a mid and tweeter. I said tone is subjective and to me, I liked the single 8" with Tweeter of the 100 (Artist too) over the performers speaker configuration.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 05-02-2012, 01:48 PM

I you're interested in bigger, for either psychological reasons or for the acoustic properties of a bigger speaker, look into a Genz Benz 150LT or ProLT or an SWR California Blonde. These amps all have 12" woofers and offer more in the way of bottom and force. I think they all sound better than the Loudboxes for vocals, but it's a matter of taste, I suppose. I've been using a ProLT for a while now for both small gigs and with a band, and I'm very pleased with it, although I do sometimes wish it were smaller......

Louis
Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I you're interested in bigger, for either psychological reasons or for the acoustic properties of a bigger speaker, look into a Genz Benz 150LT or ProLT or an SWR California Blonde. These amps all have 12" woofers and offer more in the way of bottom and force. I think they all sound better than the Loudboxes for vocals, but it's a matter of taste, I suppose. I've been using a ProLT for a while now for both small gigs and with a band, and I'm very pleased with it, although I do sometimes wish it were smaller......

Louis
thanks. I have a friend who has an swr california blonde. Myabe he would let me try it at a gig. I can probably get over the psychological aspect of it. In fact for lot of applications that small artist maybe just the ticket. but you bring up a good point about the 12" re vocals and bottom end
Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
thanks. I have a friend who has an swr california blonde. Myabe he would let me try it at a gig. I can probably get over the psychological aspect of it. In fact for lot of applications that small artist maybe just the ticket. but you bring up a good point about the 12" re vocals and bottom end
It made a big difference to me when I was shopping around for amps. The Mini and Artist hadn't come out yet, but I did spend some time trying out the Loudbox 100 and Performer. Neither had quite the fullness of the SWR and Genz Benz amps for vocals. I have a big low tenor/high baritone voice, and I need something that can capture the growls in the lower part of my range. The ProLT was the best sounding of the three for my voice (the only thing I've tried that's better is a good PA speaker), and it also just seemed to have a particular affinity for my guitar, giving me a sound with a Baggs M1 that I didn't even know I was looking for.

So I decided to deal with the fact that was less portable than the 150LT (it's also lighter than the SWR, which weighs 51 lbs.)! The Pro is 37 lbs. The 150 only weighs 27 lbs, so that's a good compromise between speaker size and portability (and it can also mount on a speaker stand). Nice little amp.

Louis
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I just tested a fishman loudbox artist at gtr center. It wasnt until i looked at the tag after playing it a few minutes that I noticed it wasnt the mini...... but it just seems to small for 500 bucks. Probably a psychological thing but am I alone in this opinion? Like I said before I thought I was plugging into the loudbox mini when I first plugged in.
How about $1000 for a 16 lbs amp. AER Compact 60 watts to small for you.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUOAERCMPCT602
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangrunloh View Post
How about $1000 for a 16 lbs amp. AER Compact 60 watts to small for you.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUOAERCMPCT602
also small but twice the price. but two 8s. and Tommy emmanuel uses AER but I dont know if its that one.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
also small but twice the price. but two 8s. and Tommy emmanuel uses AER but I dont know if its that one.
When he's travelling, he does use the Compact 60, and sometimes even just an Alpha. Here's a video of him describing his most recent live set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-9k...eature=related

Louis
Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
When he's travelling, he does use the Compact 60, and sometimes even just an Alpha. Here's a video of him describing his most recent live set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-9k...eature=related

Louis
very cool now if buying that would only make me play like him!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM

I have the mini and love it. On the rare occassion I need more volume, I just run the output from the mini into a PA. But the mini is enough for small venues.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification