The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Default reply to zmf

Re: Blueridge 143, 143A, I had the two of them side by side in my home trying to decide which to send back to Amazon. The red spruce top on the 143A was not of great quality. Aside from the top they are identical guitars. I ended up keeping the Sitka. I suspect on a mahogany guitar the Adirondack top is just a little too bright. There's also the variable if the guitar was made on Monday morning or later in the week.
Jeff B.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
um...that tells me the guitars were subjected to high heat (like, sitting in the sun)...causing the glue to "melt". This can also throw the action off if the bridge lifts slightly (and cause other issues) if the glue under the bridge and inside the guitar gets soft temporarily. Not a good sign.

Yup... Sounds like a store full of potentially mistreated Blueridge guitars. I moderate on the Blueridge forum and it's very rare to hear about any major issues popping up. I'd personally ask that store owner where those guitars had come from and why all the problems. If he didn't buy them discounted he should be sending them back for replacements.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I think part of the "lack of availability" is Saga's purchasing requirements... I've been told my dealers that you can't buy a Blueridge unless you order like a dozen guitars or something.

That was a policy years ago but no longer is. The Blueridge retailer nearest to me only has 3 or 4 models to look at, and that's all they've ever had.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
That was a policy years ago but no longer is. The Blueridge retailer nearest to me only has 3 or 4 models to look at, and that's all they've ever had.
A dealer just told me this a few months ago...?
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Yup... Sounds like a store full of potentially mistreated Blueridge guitars. I moderate on the Blueridge forum and it's very rare to hear about any major issues popping up. I'd personally ask that store owner where those guitars had come from and why all the problems. If he didn't buy them discounted he should be sending them back for replacements.
No. Poorly made and poorly QC'd Blueridge guitars. I saw em.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcatluth View Post
Has anyone come across details of how Blueridge guitars are made? I know they are made in China but I'm curious how they manage to put together some nice mass produced guitars. It doesn't appear to be the typical mass production factory because the workmanship is a level above what one would expect.
Jeff B.
I am a Martin guy. I have 3 Martins, and I love to play them. Now, I have been hovering around the Blueridge brand ever since I saw some in an L.A. music store. When I first saw them they were so intriguing to me because of their beauty, and apparent craftsmanship. AND, they are copies of the golden era Martins for the most part, but still . . . did I want to own a Chinese guitar? This past weekend I drove to L.A. to really test drive a couple of them, and I ended up buying a BR160A, which for all intents and purposes is an HD28 Adirondack model. this thing is beautiful, all solid tonewood, and it compares well with my 1974 Martin D28. It sounds a bit brighter than the D28, I suppose due to the Adirondack spruce top. Anyone who remembers music stores in the early 70's when the Yamaha FG acoustic models started competing with Martins, will understand this new phenomenon. GREAT guitars at half the price you'd expect to pay. My BR160A is a truly beautiful guitar that sounds wonderful too. The craftsmanship is excellent, with scalloped hybrid X bracing, an absolutely perfect finish, and beautifully rendered snowflake and diamond prewar style fret scape. And, it looks great standing next to my Martins.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpryts View Post
I am a Martin guy. I have 3 Martins, and I love to play them. Now, I have been hovering around the Blueridge brand ever since I saw some in an L.A. music store. When I first saw them they were so intriguing to me because of their beauty, and apparent craftsmanship. AND, they are copies of the golden era Martins for the most part, but still . . . did I want to own a Chinese guitar? This past weekend I drove to L.A. to really test drive a couple of them, and I ended up buying a BR160A, which for all intents and purposes is an HD28 Adirondack model. this thing is beautiful, all solid tonewood, and it compares well with my 1974 Martin D28. It sounds a bit brighter than the D28, I suppose due to the Adirondack spruce top. Anyone who remembers music stores in the early 70's when the Yamaha FG acoustic models started competing with Martins, will understand this new phenomenon. GREAT guitars at half the price you'd expect to pay. My BR160A is a truly beautiful guitar that sounds wonderful too. The craftsmanship is excellent, with scalloped hybrid X bracing, an absolutely perfect finish, and beautifully rendered snowflake and diamond prewar style fret scape. And, it looks great standing next to my Martins.
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your post and I too enjoy my BR-160, being a lefty that is the only "160" available.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM

I have had a Blueridge BR140 and a BR160 in the past and both were great guitars at a very reasonable price. The only reason I don't have them is because I bought an HD28 a couple of years ago. I have nothing but positive to say about these. The sound, playability and workmanship was excellent on both. Setup wasn't bad from the factory, tweeked slightly and they were great. I have always done my own setups and yes, even on my HD28, won't let anyone else touch them. I am thinking of getting a spruce and mahogany guitar again and it will in all likelyhood be a Blueridge BR-140. I have never seen the problems that some people here speak of.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

SteveYam -

I've owned a pile of Blueridge's (as well as many guitars of all types over 30 years of playing) and they've been almost all good to excellent, interestingly with, in my experience, notably consistent and high build quality. I do believe there was something out of the ordinary going on with the bunch that you saw. I suppose it's possible that the dealers I buy from send back some dogs, but not that they've ever mentioned, and I talk quite a bit to the dealers I buy from, and I've also bought randomly from whoever had the lowest price - almost all purchases have been on line, sight unseen.

My main go-to guitar is a BR-140A that is TERRIFIC, including a very thin, expertly applied poly finish. I picked it from two that my dealer had. i popped them right out of the shipping boxes in the back room and tuned them up myself. Within ten minutes they had both stabilized and were playing spot on in tune. There was no real sonic difference, just cosmetics so it was almost a toss-up. that was 4 years ago and I"m still very happy with the BR-140A. As a former owner of a '68 D18, I can say it scratches that itch nicely. In fact, I had gone in to buy a Martin dread for about 500 bucks more the the BR I wound up with (not one of their cheaper entry level guitars) - I asked the guy "before I leave with this, anything else in the price range I should consider?" Then he told me they had just gotten the BR-140A's and would I like to try one? The rest is history...

So though I don't doubt anything you say, I have a lot of Blueridge history that tells me it's a pretty atypical experience.

Just "re-discovered" Yamaha by the way, with an LS6! Last Yamaha I bought was my first guitar, in high school so I've come full circle! Life is good!

Last edited by sublro; 03-19-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM

I can't say enough about Blueridge. I picked up a BG-160 in December based on a gut feeling that it would be a good, bluesy guitar and was floored at first strum. It's an absolute monster which continues to surprise and amaze me with its tone, clarity, and attitude. I've played a number of Gibsons which the BG-160 is modeled after that didn't have half the sound or presence that my BG-160 has. Not "a good guitar for the money." It's a **** good guitar regardless of price. More recently, I picked up a BR-163A, totally different animal, no comparison, but equally stunning in tone and craftsmanship.

Interestingly, for some reason, both of these incredible guitrs really shine in Open G.

If you haven't tried a Blueridge, or if you're like me- didn't want to try one for all the reasons people usually dismiss them, for what it's worth, these guitars are the real deal. Excellent quality in every sense of the word. Killer. I've seen a lot of comparisons between Eastman and Blueridge- to me, Blueridge is heads and shoulders above Eastman in every meaningful category, and I truly believe that if more people would give them a chance, they'd give plenty of more expensive brands a real run for the money. Easily better than the other Pac Rim makers, including GAD, RK, Eastman, etc. I could go on all day, but there are two Blueridges here and thinking about them makes me want to play.

In short: Get a Blueridge. tune to open G
A few Telecasters
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
SteveYam -

I've owned a pile of Blueridge's (as well as many guitars of all types over 30 years of playing) and they've been almost all good to excellent, interestingly with, in my experience, notably consistent and high build quality. I do believe there was something out of the ordinary going on with the bunch that you saw.
Well, y'know, I can't answer people's accusations and suggestions, I was just saying (and we're going back a year now) what I saw in that store. I don't have the answers what went wrong but trust me, what I said I saw was 100% the truth. I also tried to source Blueridge guitars from other stores - in case that first store was (somehow - selling seconds?) a problem one - and again, as I said, they were crappy little 'one off' stores that held no stock, or maybe just one or two older models. I didn't need that kind of response to my 'Blueridge quest'. It was just a disaster. What others may have experienced - particularly in America - may well have been different - but I know my stuff, and I was banging my head against a brick wall of poorly build guitars and stores ill equipped (or couldn't be bothered - I wonder why..) to even stock guitars that they were supposed to be dealers of.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM

I have a Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar. It is a beautiful instrument, a copy of a Martin 0-17T. Sounds looks and plays fantastic. I'm very happy with it.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM

I have 2 BR guitars. 2011 Blueridge 143A, 2010 Blueridge BR42. The BR42 is just for something to keep my fingers busy when I'm out of town. It's tinny sounding but for the $$$, it serves a purpose. The BR 143A is a very nice guitar. No complaints. Great playability, very nice tonal quality. All that said, when I play my Martins, regardless of the wood difference, it's a whole different world..... But I paid a lot more for them too. I've played a couple of other better quality BR guitars and they were quite nice also. They don't compete withe the Martins they try to copy.... in my very humble opinion!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

hmmm, almost sounds to me like they were prioritizing American success and sending all the good ones there...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM

I have a BG-40 and had a BR-143 which I sold to make way for the Gibson. I wasn't completely comfortable with the nut width of he br143 funny thing is he BG-40 has the same nut width and a shorter scale yet feels as wide almost as he Gibson 1.72 nut.

The build quality of the Blueridges is very good, setup out of the box on the BG was very good as well only requiring slightly lowering the action at the nut for the treble strings. It's not a Gibson but didn't cost anywhere near one either.

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion