The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM

The one "knock" I've heard about Blueridge is they have a significantly narrower (shallower?) neck profile than Martins, though if you're going for a pre-war sound I'm wondering if the complaints were comparing it to a standard Martin neck or a Martin V neck. Being one of the odd few who found the V neck to be awkward, I might actually welcome a smaller neck.

I'm also curious about their e series models with onboard Fishman pickup system, as I've been debating whether or not an all-in-one acoustic/electric guitar is the way to go or if I'd be better off finding the best dread or 000 I can and fitting it with my own system of choice (t/b/d). Has anyone tried or own one the Blueridge e models? Opinions?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmuck View Post
I'm also curious about their e series models with onboard Fishman pickup system, as I've been debating whether or not an all-in-one acoustic/electric guitar is the way to go or if I'd be better off finding the best dread or 000 I can and fitting it with my own system of choice (t/b/d). Has anyone tried or own one the Blueridge e models? Opinions?

IMO it depends on if you need a cutaway body or not, usually determined by how far up the neck one tends to play normally. If you don't I would look into an aftermarket pickup for a standard body model. There are nicer sounding pickups out there and some are pretty cheap.....The JJB Electronics Prestige 330 as one example.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Default not just Martin copies

I didn't see it mentioned, but the BG series copies the Gibson J-45. Given the inconsistency of Gibson, the Blueridges compete pretty well. I have both, and the Gibby I got is nicer, but not by as much as the price difference.
Blueridge BG-140
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Default blueridge

I bought a Blueridge BR 143. They are very good guitars for the money, they are not Martins but for the price a decent guitar.
Jeff B.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Default Jeff...

congratulations on your new Blueridge! The 143 is one of blueridge's models that I really enjoy and the 143A even more. I would enjoy hearing how you get along with your new friend!

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 09-23-2011, 03:37 AM

Forgot to say, some of the scratchplates were 'puffing up' and lifting in the middle as well as the previously mentioned QC issues.

I did some further research in England today re availability because I would like to see some more guitars to help ascertain just how typical were the ones I saw. However, the Blueridge range seems to generally be 'relegated' to (I don't know if you have these kind of stores in the US) those small, often family run music shops that kinda sell home keyboards, school instruments and cheap lines of guitars. Consequently, you ring up such a dealer to ask about his range of Blueridge models and he says that he currently has none, but if I'd like to order a model he can get it for me. Yer..

Blueridge in England just isn't working for me. Poor quality, lack of availability..
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho John View Post
Some things to keep in mind about Blueridge/SAGA is that they do sell seconds to certain outlets - with issues that do not meet quality control standards and come with no warranty.
john
Is there a way to tell whether a particular Blueridge is a "second," e.g., some indication next to the serial number (as Gibson and others used to do, and perhaps still do)?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:04 AM

I do had a D28 Martin for years,my BR180 Blueridge is a better sounding guitar and doesn`t have the intonation issues my D28 Martin had,don`t get me wrong the Martin was a great sounding guitar,but I personally like the BR180`s sound alot more.I have had many people ask me what kind of guitar it is when I am playing it in bars,alot of people think it is a Martin.I have also owned a few other Martins,every one had intonation issues.Martins are great guitars,but for the money you shouldn`t have to always be tweaking the tuning. As per the technicalities of it..have never focused on this point.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post

Blueridge in England just isn't working for me. Poor quality, lack of availability..
I think part of the "lack of availability" is Saga's purchasing requirements... I've been told my dealers that you can't buy a Blueridge unless you order like a dozen guitars or something. That's a bit of a risk with a relatively unknown brand. Saga didn't used to have this requirement, but has for a couple years now, and it's caused some dealers to drop the line.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 AM

Default Jay...

I have seen 2nds advertised as such on Ebay. I don't know if you are asking if I can make a recommendation to such...I cannot. I would suggest that you check into the UBGF and ask some of the old timers there and they can give you a more concrete answer.

If you are looking to avoid seconds, then I would suggest that you buy from an established online dealer...such as Maury's Music, Elderly's, and Gryphon Music for the reason I spoke about in another thread, these guys will weed out any potential problems before they ship it out the door.

Some of my motivation in posting on the thread is to counter balance some of the negative energy being generated about Recording King, Blueridge and to a lesser extent...Eastman. All three companies make (import) great musical instruments. I know (at least for myself) as I have owned (or own now) guitars from each of these brands. Of the three, Blueridge is actually the weakest in quality control (my opinion only) but still makes a great guitar.

And before I dissolve in a vat of sarcasm, let me say that I love my Martin and find that Martin's quality control is second to none, in fact it is the standard by which import companies could benefit by trying to emulate (at least in my limited experience). But...

The only time bashing becomes an issue is when folks heatedly proclaim that their (fill brand name in here) is better than Martin, Gibson, Taylor, et al. This is somewhat akin to advertising a zebra as a thoroughbred.

Many of us buy import brands because we cannot afford a marquee brand. It is a mark of how good we have it that we can have access to quality exports, that may look like or may sound like the Martin/Gibson product we admire, as opposed to having to put up with a no name import from far off Timbuktu and found conveniently at your local pawn shop for mere pennies.

The comparison game is great to establish a point of reference but pushed too far it becomes a means for comparing the size of pocketbooks, and by extension the relative worthiness or unworthiness of the purchaser. Sometimes you can catch the drift towards that sentiment when you hear "well if you wanted a (insert product name here) or something that sounds like a (insert product name here), then why don't you save up for a (insert product name here) and buy it. And yes I agree, but for those of us with limited incomes, even a "used name brand" guitar may be beyond our means.

I suppose if some folks are so unfortunate as to be placed in a position where they cannot afford a marquee brand, they really should just be content to sit at the feet of those who can afford "brand name" guitars and well...yearn (provided of course they keep those off brand pac rim imports down wind). Sorry...just tired.

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Has anyone noticed any difference in Blueridge quality when comparing, say, a BR-140 with the BR-140A? The latter as the Adirondack, wider nut and less bling. I've only played the former, so I haven't had the opportunity to compare.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
Forgot to say, some of the scratchplates were 'puffing up' and lifting in the middle as well as the previously mentioned QC issues.
um...that tells me the guitars were subjected to high heat (like, sitting in the sun)...causing the glue to "melt". This can also throw the action off if the bridge lifts slightly (and cause other issues) if the glue under the bridge and inside the guitar gets soft temporarily. Not a good sign.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJayK1 View Post
Is there a way to tell whether a particular Blueridge is a "second," e.g., some indication next to the serial number (as Gibson and others used to do, and perhaps still do)?
Don't know what Blueridge does but "refurb" Takamines have a very light imprint "used" on the back of the headstock and the interior label is stamped "second."

I bought my EG-series Tak (at a 40% savings from the GC new price) and the Ebay description implied any issues were cosmetic (they were visible but subtle.) I had a new nut made because the Tak string spacing (by design) was too tight for me. The luthier thought the neck angle was off slightly. Without a new one to compare to, I have no idea if he's right or not.

I have decided never to buy another second or refurb model again unless it comes with a warranty. I have seen brands advertised on Ebay as "blems" and offered by authorized dealers that carry the full manufacturer's warranty except for the cosmetic flaw.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Default blueridge guitars

I am new here my first post.I have two Blueridge Guitars a BR70ce and a BG180 RW that I bought this year.The store I go to has Martins Gibson Taylor Eastman Takamine Biueridge and some cheap ones.So I played them all and decided on Blueridge.I have a old Ventura from 1970 that I had since then.My Son has a HD 28 Martin to.My Blueridge guitars are nice but you have to play them alot and I lowered the strings and it made them better.When people see them they think they cost a lot more than they did.I could have bought a Martin or one of the others but I liked the Blueridge the best.Some people may not.If you get one hope you like it.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM

I just can't resist sharing my 3 BR's picture on these Blueridge threads. I love my BR's and my Martins they all have a place and a purpose for me.

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion