The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-10-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default With Sound Files -- hello, my name is FELiX ... FELiX 2 that is ... New Preamp Day

Okay, so over the past six years of seeing the FELiX reviewed by several players here on AGF, I succumbed to the building lust for one and got the new FELiX 2 by Grace Design. Today, I just started exploring what this device can do for my acoustic guitar tone by experimenting with my Larrivee D-40M with Dazzo #70 Transducer Set. I'm routing the guitar's Dazzo output through the FELiX 2 and into the 1/4-inch Input of the AUX Channel of my LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA. Using the simple AUX Input instead of going through a Channel 1 or 2 Input removes these Channels with their preamp, tone stack, and effects circuits from the guitar's signal, and is a good way to hear what the FELiX 2 is capable of doing without any other tonal support and coloration. Using a 1 MegaOhm Impedance (middle-switch Impedance position of Channel 2) setting on Channel 2, my aural- and feature-wise initial impressions are:

The FELiX 2 adds an almost pleasing tube-like warmth of tone to the Larrivee D-40M's Dazzo output even with all FELiX 2's EQ set Flat;

The FELiX 2's Input Impedance controls will maximize the tone and handle the input level of any piezo or magnetic pickup;

Initially, it can be confusing in that when making a change in a switch it may require another switch to be pressed to complete the operational change to hear what the outcome will be. Fortunately, the FELiX 2's User Manual can be very helpful in alleviating any operational confusion;

Frankly, with its plethora of controls and I/O options, the FELiX 2 will do just about everything for an acoustic guitarist but wipe their nose!

Summary: IMHO, if an acoustic guitarist or likely just about any instrumentalist doesn't need any neat noises, e.g., reverb, chorus, delay, etc., in their preamp pedal, then the FELiX 2 is the way to go. The FELiX 2 does have Effects Send And Effects Return jacks so outboard effects can be added if desired. Yes, it's pricey but I'd agree with other users that this about as good a preamp as can be had in a dual-channel, portable, foot-pedal format.

Thanks For Looking In!

FELiX 2 User Manual

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-26-2021 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Further perusal of features reveals I was using a 1 MegaOhm Input Impedance and not a 10 MegaOhm Inpur Impedance
Old 04-10-2021, 01:05 PM

Thanks Ken!

But you can not tease us like that and not post a demo!

Please use both channels (Dazzo+mic)
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Ken!

But you can not tease us like that and not post a demo!

Please use both channels (Dazzo+mic)
Cuki
Hi Cuki, Yes, I can do that as I'm gaining more feeling in my fretting fingers since my December 2020 carpal tunnel operation. The bad thing is that I've developed "trigger-thumb" on my fretting hand but it comes and goes so I'm hoping it'll disappear within a short time. More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-11-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Okay, so over the past six years of seeing the FELiX reviewed by several players here on AGF, I succumbed to the building lust for one and got the new FELiX2 by Grace Design. Today, I just started exploring what this device can do for my acoustic guitar tone by experimenting with my Larrivee D-40M with Dazzo #70 Transducer Set. I'm routing the guitar's Dazzo output through the FELiX2 and into the 1/4-inch Input of the AUX Channel of my LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA. Using the simple AUX Input instead of going through a Channel 1 or 2 Input removes these Channels with their preamp, tone stack, and effects from the mix, and is a good way to hear what the FELiX2 is capable of doing without any other tonal support and coloration. Using a 10 MegaOhm Impedance setting on Channel 2, my aural- and feature-wise initial impressions are:

The FELix2 adds an almost pleasing tube-like warmth of tone to the Larrivee D-40M's Dazzo output even with all FELiX2's EQ set Flat;

The FELiX2's Input Impedance controls will maximize the tone and handle the input level of any piezo or magnetic pickup;

Initially, it can be confusing in that when making a change in a switch it may require another switch to be pressed to complete the operational change to hear what the outcome will be. Fortunately, the FELiX2's User Manual can be very helpful in alleviating any operational confusion;

Frankly, with its plethora of controls and I/O options, the FELiX2 will do just about everything for an acoustic guitarist but wipe their nose!

Summary: IMHO, if an acoustic guitarist or likely just about any instrumentalist doesn't need any neat noises, e.g., reverb, chorus, delay, etc., in their mix, then the FELiX2 is the way to go. The FELiX2 does have Effects Send And Effects Return jacks so outboard effects can be added if desired. Yes, it's pricey but I'd agree with other users that this about as good a preamp as can be had in a dual-channel, portable, foot-pedal format.

Thanks For Looking In!

FELiX2 User Manual

You mean the new FELix2 adds an almost pleasing tube-like warmth of tone comparing to the original Felix?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-11-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
You mean the new FELix2 adds an almost pleasing tube-like warmth of tone comparing to the original Felix?
Hi Doug, I haven't owned the original FELiX so I don't know what it sounds like although both it and the FELiX 2, I would assume, are the same device with the FELiX 2 having a few new features that are performed mainly by internal jumpers.

Further explanation on my usage of the phrase "pleasing tube-like warmth": I'm trying to describe the FELiX 2's tone as being pleasingly smooth with not a hint of harshness and that it reminds me of the smoothness of tone of a tube-based preamp such as the Sarno Musical Solutions Steel Guitar Black Box or the Tube-Pre Channel of my VOX AGA-150 Acoustic Amplifier.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-11-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Correction Made In OP: Further perusal of the FELiX 2's features reveals I was using a 1 MegaOhm Input Impedance and not a 10 MegaOhm Input Impedance and getting a wonderful amplified tone. I'll have to try the 10 MegaOhm and 20 MegaOhm Input Impedance switch positions to hear if they affect the amplified tone in any positive or negative way compared to the 1 MegaOhm setting.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-11-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:58 PM

i like that you can select
the boost function.
i tried using the mic input
on ch 1 with my vocal
mic and ch 2 with my guitar.
at one of my bands gigs.
came time for my solo
and i hit the boost switch
and the mic squeeeeled !@.
funny thing is i knew this.
mine is felix 1..
Old 04-12-2021, 03:15 AM

Mine is felix 1. I would describe the sound is crystal clear through this preamp. And the power EQ section, various input impedance, phantom power, boost and mix option all work very well.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-12-2021, 08:52 AM

I did my first 2 church gigs this weekend with my new Felix2 and I used the tonedexter in the loop... was pretty awesome :-)

Really liking the Felix2... and Grace Design's customer service is great - my first Felix2 had a dip switch cutting in and out - they sent me a new one with a pre-paid return label in 3 days - in time for my gigs. Fantastic customer support, fantastic product!

Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Possibly the explanation for the fullness of tone (hint of tube-like warmth) I'm hearing from the Dazzo system as routed through the FELiX 2 is likely that the quality of the FELiX 2 enables a transparent signal path so that the best tone the Dazzo is capable of producing is now being heard. Whatever the reason may be, the Felix 2 is definitely giving me the most pleasing tone I've heard from the Larrivee D-40M with Dazzo #70 transducer set.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-12-2021, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Riley View Post
I did my first 2 church gigs this weekend with my new Felix2 and I used the tonedexter in the loop... was pretty awesome :-)

Really liking the Felix2... and Grace Design's customer service is great - my first Felix2 had a dip switch cutting in and out - they sent me a new one with a pre-paid return label in 3 days - in time for my gigs. Fantastic customer support, fantastic product!

I'm so glad to hear it's working out for you, Dean, and that Grace Design is there for its customers! By the way, are you any relation to bassist Dean "Mad Dog" Riley? May He Rest In Peace.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Possibly the explanation for the fullness of tone (hint of tube-like warmth) I'm hearing from the Dazzo system as routed through the FELiX 2 is likely that the quality of the FELiX 2 enables a transparent signal path so that the best tone the Dazzo is capable of producing is now being heard. Whatever the reason may be, the Felix 2 is definitely giving me the most pleasing tone I've heard from the Larrivee D-40M with Dazzo #70 transducer set.
If I remember well, Sunny from sunnaudio told me to not underestimate distortion at the input of a preamp.

after making my own experiments, I think he was right, I get very different results between an old fashion jfet preamp stage and a charge amp for example. I can supress a good share of "clic" sound by changing the preamp design.

Can't wait to hear an A/B comparison.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-13-2021, 12:18 AM

Interestingly, not many discussion about the variable phase control, which I think it's the best selling point of new version Grace Felix2...

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-13-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'm so glad to hear it's working out for you, Dean, and that Grace Design is there for its customers! By the way, are you any relation to bassist Dean "Mad Dog" Riley? May He Rest In Peace.
Haha no I am not... at least not to my knowledge... just named after my great grandpa :-)

Likewise! Glad it is working out for you as well! It's an awesome piece of hardware!
Old 04-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
If I remember well, Sunny from sunnaudio told me to not underestimate distortion at the input of a preamp.

after making my own experiments, I think he was right, I get very different results between an old fashion jfet preamp stage and a charge amp for example. I can supress a good share of "clic" sound by changing the preamp design.

Can't wait to hear an A/B comparison.
Cuki, I see some makers are manufacturing preamps and effects pedals with good, old germanium transistors and diodes! Don't germanium components have the potential to give audio signal-processing devices a more pleasing, warmer, quasi-tube-like tone compared to silicon-based components? Your input and that of other AGFers are most appreciated!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification